4.3 out of 5 stars1,260
Colour Name: Green/White|Size: Small|Change

on 12 May 2013
I took up running a few months ago. Recently saw this highly rated in Runners World Magazine. It is brilliant for my beginners status. Out of the box all I needed to do was charge it for a few hrs via the USB.
For my 1st run the GPS picked up within 15 seconds and stayed on. The watch has several modes - you can only see 2 things at the same time. It is really easy to use. I have mine set to Run time/Distance as that is all I need to know. You can also change from miles to Kilometers.
You can upload all your data onto the Garmin website - Very simple to set up, you just need to register, and you can see your route on a map, average speed, calories burnt, gradient etc.
I have been using it for 4 days now and the most time spent picking up the GPS has been 15seconds.
If you are a beginner, and just want to know your times and distances, then I highly reccomend this watch,
1212 comments|321 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 January 2013
I purchased the Forerunner 10 after owning a Garmin 310XT for about three years. I wanted something smaller and lighter to run with when I didn't want the bulk of the 310XT.

I completed number of runs wearing both watches and both recorded identical tracks. The Forerunner 10 is extremely easy to upload information to Garmin Connect to monitor your performance.

I have been very impressed with the watch. But I would like to correct a few of the previous reviews about the waterproofness of the watch.

It is NOT waterproof it is water resistant.

On the Garmin site it states it is Water Resistant to 50m. (This is the same as the Garmin swim proof watches, 310XT etc)

I contacted Garmin Support about swimming with the Forerunner 10 and got the following reply:

"I'm afraid the Forerunner 10 is not designed for swimming like the 310XT so we cannot guarantee complete waterproofness like the 310XT however it is waterproof up to 50 meters."

Still being a bit confused about how two products can be rated to the same waterproof level but not have the same waterproofness?

I asked the following:

"So getting down to basics, can the Garmin Forerunner 10 be worn:

Running in the rain
On wet days
In the shower"

And got the following reply:

"there is a difference between water proof and water resistance. The Forerunner 10 is water resistant in up to 1 meter of water for 30 minutes.

However we do not recommend that you wear it in the shower, the watch would be fine to wear in the rain as it is designed to handle this type of weather."

Update:
I have had a Forerunner 10 for about a year now and use it all the time as my normal wrist watch. I get well over two weeks out of it between charges if I don't use the GPS. As with all GPS devices you need them to see the sky to get a position. I personally just stick it in the garden for a few minutes whilst I get ready to go for a run. I have used it in all conditions from heavy cloud to rain and it has never had a problem with maintaining GPS positions once the initial fix is obtained.
66 comments|286 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 September 2013
I bought one of these in the hope it owuld motivate me to run further/faster/more often, after becoming a bit bored of the same old routes. I had previously been using GPS software on my phone which would give intermittant updates on distance, pace, time etc, but that was always tucked away in an inaccessible pocket, and required the use of headphones whilst running which I'm not a huge fan of as I run on country roads (and also get very bored of listening to the same old music over and over). The watch seems to be far more accurate than any of the variety of running apps I've tried over the years.

I'm by no means a serious runner - go to work running club once a week and do approx 2 runs of c.10km a week other than that, and am doing a 1/2 marathon later in the year. I've taken this watch out for a few runs now, and so far I'm pretty impressed by it. Setup is really simple - it essentially works straight out of the box, and setting up the online account to sync workouts to is easy and just requires the download of a plugin from the Garmin website and registering to create an online account.

My unit came partially charged, so I took it to running club the day it arrived, without having had chance to play with the different settings etc and it was as simple really as pressing the go button (the one with the little man icon next to it) and off I went. It finds satellites reasonably quickly, though it does vary a bit depending on where I am. It is almost instantaneous when at work (urban area), but at home (a bit more out in the sticks) it takes up to a minute at times. I find that if I set it looking for satellites whilst still getting trainers on etc then it doesn't delay things.

I've not tried out the pace setting function yet, but have used the auto pause which is really handy if you have routes which require you to stop to cross roads etc, if you don't want that to be included in your total run time as it'll "stop the clock" when it detects you have stopped moving and automatically restart when you start running again. It also can be set up to bleep at each mile, or when you achieve new PB distances or pace.

Syncing the runs to the Garmin website is really easy, and once done gives you really good information about the runs you have done, even down to including approximate weather conditions for the area when you were running! The unit comes with a USB charger, so I have been syncing it whilst leaving it on charge - it will only store ten runs before overwriting them so if you're a regular runner, or particularly bothered about having every run recorded you probably need to get into a routine of uploading them. You can get an adaptor to plug the USB into a mains socket if required, but I'm sure an iphone mains charger or similar would do the trick.

My other half has a top-of-the-range Garmin watch and this appears to be equal in terms of accuracy, and is probably actually a bit quicker in finding the satellites. Obviously it's not got all the fancy bells and whistles on that some of the higher models have, but it does all I wanted it to and can't imagine needing any extra functionality.

It's a good looking watch, and is small enough to wear when not running and very lightweight. Apparently it's water resistant - mine has been in the shower and was fine. All in all I'm very happy with it, and the price on Amazon (for the green version) was the cheapest I'd found.
0Comment|108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 October 2013
Nice slick design- not too chunky on the wrist. Easy to set up and use with good data analysis after
on 12 January 2015
This is an entry level runners watch and it's fine for training and amateur runners. What I like about it most is the statistics that it keeps online which can be scrutinised and compared very easily. To do this, you must register your watch with Garmin on their website and then after each session upload the info from the watch to the web via the USB cable provided with the watch. If you have the app for Garmin Express loaded on your Laptop, the data will be automatically uploaded to Garmin as soon as you connect your watch which is a nice feature. You don't have to register the watch of course, but if you don't then you can't use the Garmin Software on the www.garminconnect.com website, so really, it's worth doing that.

I had hoped to use the watch as a general everyday watch but to be honest I find it's a bit 'clunky' for that so I more than likely won't do that. The other thing is that the battery runs down much faster than conventional watches. I found that I got two weeks from the battery while using it as a conventional watch with maybe one hour per day on GPS "duties". I got about 5 hours out of the battery on one long continuous GPS duty, this was after a full charge. However for majority of users who only want to use the watch for training and in a sports mode, the battery life will not affect them. Just be aware that you must charge it fairly regularly.

What I did not like about the watch:
The watch only displays date and month. It would be really nice if it also displayed the day e.g. 'Mon, Tue, etc'
Sometimes it takes 5 minutes to get it's location from the satellites. This means standing around for 5 minutes waiting for location. So, you can't just leave your house/work and immediately commence a run/walk/cycle. However, sometimes it's faster than that, maybe 2-3 mins.
The Standby mode only lasts for 5 minutes and then it cancels the whole session. Standby mode should be customisable to as much time as the user likes. Initial web setup is confusing.
You have to access three different websites initially, one to register the device, and two more to download appropriate apps to use with the watch - Garmin Express and Garmin Connect. Initial setup for me was confusing (and I've worked in IT support for many years) as an error message was displayed which necessitated me contacting Garmin Support by email. ( "Not enough Space for update. There isn't enough space on the device for the software update) By the time they got back to me (three days later - mentioned on the website) the issue had resolved itself. It was no big deal as the watch was not affected, but I think the setup needs to be really simplified, preferably by accessing one website.

One thing I would really like to see in the future is your session details being uploaded to Garmin via Satellite, rather than having to connect the watch to the internet.

However, "it does what it says on the tin" - as they say, so that's why I have given it 4 stars.
review image
on 2 January 2015
Bought this for my husband for Christmas. He used it for the first time today and absolutely loves it. Got very excited to find it told him how many miles he'd ran, how many calories he'd burned, height climbed, distance run etc, etc. And the best thing is, it's very easy and simple to use (even for a gadget-phobe!). He's now looking forward to his next run so he can beat his current timing. Would definitely recommend it.
on 13 September 2013
I have had the Forerunner 10 now for just over a week. I run four times a week, early or late mornings. So far out of 6 runs the Forerunner has not been able to connect to the satellite 3 times.

It appears to have a problem connecting when there is heavy cloud cover or when it is raining. So at the moment I have a GPS watch that will only connect 50% of the time.

I am not sure what to do now. When it does connect the service is great and uploading to garminconnect gives me much more valuable information that the Nike Trophy I can post on Facebook, but the Nike service on my iPod Nano always works. It might not be as reliable but it does give me some running detail.

The Forerunner today could only tell me the time duration of my run, nothing more.

I could send the Forerunner back as it is not fit for the purpose of running under a British Cloud, or I could keep hoping that each time I switch to connect, it might, just might, connect.
on 26 April 2015
This is a good watch if, like me, you are starting to get in to running. It is very easy to use and very intuitive. I got mine on a lightening deal so it was at a great price and I took the plunge as I had been holding off splashing the cash before on a GPS watch. I now use it every run and it is great to track my progress (and makes me a bit more competitive so is a good motivator). It does take a while to find the GPS signal at first, so I would put the watch outside by the door whilst I put on my trainers. The more you use it the quicker it seems to get the signal! The watch does a beep every km/mile depending on what distance you have chosen which is good to keep you running. It shows the distance run on one screen, the pace you are at on the next and the regular time on the third screen. it is easy to scroll between the 3 screens when running, although you don't really need to look at it if you just wait for the beep to tell you you have made it another km. A really great function is that you can set the watch to do intervals on the walk/run function- I used this to get through a half marathon and it was fab. I basically told the watch to do 4 minutes running followed by 1 min walking. The watch does three small beeps (like a countdown 3, 2, 1) then a longer beep after 4 minutes to indicate you should slow to a walk. It then does the same at the end of the minute to count you in to start running again. This allowed me to sustain my pace and not stop throughout the run. This could be great for short sprint periods too if you are that way inclined. When you upload it to the computer, depending on the platform you use (I have Strava) it shows a map of where you have been and your splits so you can analyse your run. Overall a great product to up your game as a new runner.
on 30 June 2013
I'm going to review this against the Nike+ Sensor kit which I owned previously, I know it's unfair comparing GPS to a shoe sensor - but before I bought my Garmin I was undecided whether it was worth upgrading.

In short, yes, of course it is! I've only used the Garmin a handful of times so far, but it's blown me away and put Nike+ completely out my mind.

Positives
+ Improved accuracy
+ Compact and lightweight - I was worried it would weigh me down, but it's roughly the same size (and probably lighter) than my Timex Ironman Triathlon.
+ Garmin website is great to navigate and has so much more information than Nike+ (I love the route map it generates).

Negatives
- I'm getting used to the time it takes to lock on to a satellite. As long as you stand still and point the watch up, it seems to lock on in about 30 seconds. But once it's locked on it doesn't lose signal.
- I won't be able to use it on the treadmill, this might be a problem for some people, but I don't use the treadmill anymore.
- Strap feels flimsy - this could be a potential problem in the future?
on 27 June 2016
This was purchased as a 40th birthday present for my son. His review was as follows:

The Garmin Forerunner 10 is an entry level running watch but in my view it is a real top performer. It finds the satellites in seconds and is ready to go almost straight away.

I have so far managed a range of runs in different locations and lengths ranging from a 5k park run to half marathon distances and it has not let me down yet the battery seems to have a good life and accurately records my distance and when connected to Garmin Connect I can see a fully detailed report on my running.

The watch itself provides you with details such as distance, time, pace, calories and records achievements. The virtual pacer feature included enables you to push yourself to a goal and I set a new PB by a minute on my weekly Park Run using this feature.

I received this product as a gift for my 40th birthday and am over the moon with it and I am in training for a marathon so it is perfect for my needs and for new runners and those who want an uncomplicated simple to use device at an affordable price.