5.0 out of 5 stars Totally absorbing - beautifully written
Published 19 months ago by judithanne

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but ...
Published 3 months ago by Little Miss Bookworm

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally absorbing - beautifully written, 11 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Time for Silence, A (Paperback)
A powerful novel from beginning to end, with story-lines from two eras that slip seamlessly from one to the other. Thorne Moore evokes both worlds, rural Wales during WW2 and mid twentieth century, to perfection. The dialogue in both periods of time is flawless. The characters are believable and rounded. The plot easy to follow; not that this detracts from the strength of the writing - it's satisfying for the reader to be able to see what the characters of Sarah and Gwen don't, at times .
A Time For Silence is the story of Sarah, looking to expose the truth of the death of her grandfather, John Owen, and of the life of Gwen, the wife he has bullied throughout their marriage. The denouement subtly reveals the tragedy which befell Sarah's grandparents and forces her to face her own future. I read this book initially as an eBook and then couldn't resist the paperback version (don't ask!) All I can say is that it was well worth both reads. One I thoroughly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars haunting, 7 Feb. 2013
This review is from: A Time for Silence (Kindle Edition)
This book was quite a surprise. In parts it is extremely dark and haunting but the present day bits are much lighter and so sometimes appear less well crafted. The almost sparse text in the welsh parts serves to underline the cold, starved lives of the characters. It is salutory to note that the 'older' parts of the book are set in 1948 - very recent history but a very different time - especially in rural Wales.
There seem to be many books around at the moment that are set in this 'dual-time' mode, but in this case it seems to work well. I also appreciated that Robert's learning difficulties were not laboured but played a very important part in the whole.
I was also secretly pleased that I did guess 'whodunit'.
Haunting but without the ghosts.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark tale of family secrets and hidden mystery., 27 Jun. 2014
JK "J. K." (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: A Time for Silence (Kindle Edition)
One of those books where you're slowly drawn into the plot and want to keep going just to find out what actually happened.

The story runs between two timelines, the present to sixty years ago, and is set in rural Wales. There are two leading characters. The first is Sarah, recovering from a personal tragedy, and the second, and much more mysterious, is an old cottage which once belonged to her grandparents.

Sarah feels drawn to the house and the abandoned farm on which it's situated and moves in only to discover the house has a secret it's dying to tell. From that point Sarah becomes immersed in researching her family history but, as we all know, sometimes it's better 'to let sleeping dogs lie'. The unfolding story of family horror she begins to reveal only adds to her distress.

There are some nicely worked elements of darkness, shadow and shade, throughout the novel but the strongest parts are where the author travels back in time to reveal unfolding events. I did fast track through a few pages of recent history to get to those juicier plot lines. Having said that; I think the author handles the differing time frames well and doesn't get lost when switching from past to present. Flows nicely.

'A Time for Silence' is a gentle mystery that's quick to read, easy to read, and complex enough to hold the readers attention.

Happy to recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Six Stars., 20 Oct. 2013
This review is from: A Time for Silence (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed this novel.
The story is constructed as a dual time split, so the reader enjoys the delicious dark history as related through the eyes of Gwen in pre-war rural Wales; interspersed with Sarah's story in present day. As the story unfolds and Sarah peels away the secrets of her past, the chilling climax is both dramatic and emotive.
At the centre of the story is a derelict farmhouse, Cwmderwen. Living in Snowdonia myself, I often come across such abandoned farmsteads on walks into the hills and each time I am drawn to the history behind these crumbling stones, so I related to Sarah's quest straight away.
Determined to uncover the facts behind her Grandfather's murder and her murky family history, Sarah begins a journey of truth. It's a journey which reveals some shocking revelations, not only of the past but of coming to understand herself too; how her past has shaped who she is...
A Time for Silence has an air of mystery and darkness, with themes of genealogy and history, blended with a contemporary story. Combined with the stunning descriptive narrative and well crafted characters, this book will stay with me as one of the best I've read this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chillingly believable and quite gripping, 30 Nov. 2014
C. E. Carter "Christopher" (sheffield UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Time for Silence (Kindle Edition)
This is one of the most absorbing books I have read in a long time. I thought that the plot was very believable and stunningly well thought through. As a reader I was totally immersed in the characters. With some other books I get confused if there is a constant time shift between the past and the present day, but with this book it works excellently. There are some very cleaver devices used to keep us all guessing. One might think of it as a woman's book but I found that it works equally well for a man which is what I am! It must have taken a lot of thought to get this book right with no loose ends. I don't want to spoil it for anyone so will say no more other than to thank Thorne for creating such an excellent read for us all to enjoy. It is one of those books that you come away from it dying to meet the author, who must be such an interesting person herself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even when you put this book down, it's on your mind, 10 Jun. 2014
This review is from: A Time for Silence (Kindle Edition)
Fascinating to speculate how much could one attribute the behaviours of the characters to their time and social environment and how much to their own strengths and weaknesses. Similar tragic events occur now, and, for all the enormous changes in social expectations, just how different really are the reasons?

5.0 out of 5 stars Someone knows where the bodies are buried, 1 Sept. 2014
Katharine Kirby "Kate" (HELSTON, Cornwall United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Time for Silence (Kindle Edition)
Thorne Moore knows how to keep a good story going, her tale of a young woman who buys back her family's abandoned Welsh home, and that of those people who inhabited this lost and hidden away farmstead, during and post WWII, fairly rocks along. Not missing a beat we go from discovery to revelation, with a few wrong assumptions eagerly grasped at along the way.

I found myself musing over it all when I wasn't reading which is always a good sign. You never know what you will find when you start digging and Sai is determined to get to the bottom of an old and unspoken mystery. How did her grandfather die, too young, at Cwmderwen and what sad stories did her Nan have locked in her head as she lay plucking at the sheets in the hospital.

Both time threads are sewn together in parallel chapters, with competence and ease. Gwen's terrible struggles as a young wife and mother mid last century, are all too believable, at one point I wondered if this list of events was actually a true history being related.

Sai comes to a few conclusions about her own life too and this all becomes part of the messages from the past giving nurture to the future. What a long way we have all come in sixty plus years, with feminism, the change in the moral climate and the unacceptability of everyday domestic violence.

A novel of our times, placed in a quiet Welsh country setting are kept apart from the big world, but unable to avoid the tentacles of terror that sprang up all around. I really enjoyed this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly gripping, 9 Oct. 2013
This review is from: A Time for Silence (Kindle Edition)
A skilfully crafted novel in dual time. In the modern story we have a parallel of the mystery that obsesses Sarah as she embarks on a cathartic journey into her family's dubious past. The sparkling dialogue disguises the nature of her relationship with Mark and it is only when she uncovers true abuse of power that she understands what is going on in her own life. It is just as well that Ms Moore reveals the dark secrets of Cwmderwen slowly as it would be overwhelming otherwise. There is a lot of wisdom about human nature in this gripping novel, with both dark and light portrayed realistically, when a God fearing man, cloistered within a chapel community in deepest Wales, allows his pride to undo him and his family. I couldn't put it down is an overworked phrase but I simply couldn't. Yes, I could guess the outcome but not how it would unravel and what the psychological ramifications on each character would be. A highly recommended read. I can't wait for Ms Moores next offering.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but ..., 31 Jan. 2015
This review is from: A Time for Silence (Kindle Edition)
An easy enough read but I did struggle to remember all the characters and how they were related (could just be me I suppose!). An interesting book which focuses around a family cottage in rural Wales. The story follows Sarah Peterson who sets about to discover the history of her family, namely the death of her grandfather. The book also tells the story of Sarah's grandmother set in 1940's rural Wales. For me, there was something about Sarah that I just didn't get. I didn't really like or understand her and found myself not really caring about her side of the story. In fact the words "obsessive", "stubborn-minded", "selfish" and "drunk" come to mind! I much preferred the story of her grandmother Gwen and found myself reading on more to find out what happened to Gwen and her family than what happened with Sarah. I was a little disappointed in the way Sarah's story finished as I found it a little improbable. I think I would've enjoyed this book more if it only centred around Gwen and her story set in the 1940's. Overall though, it is a good story and an easy read. There wasn't anything that surprised or excited me or had me turning the pages other than me wanting to finish it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Should the past be revealed?, 30 Nov. 2014
This review is from: A Time for Silence (Kindle Edition)
A good read which slips between WW2 and present day effortlessly. Sarah is keen to siscover her past and as the reader you almost wish she wouldn’t as you have read the circumstances! The reader longs for Gwen (Sarahs Grandmother) to stand up, and save herself and her children, but she continues to do her duty. Sadness results.

In modern day I like the fact that Sarah is a slight throw back to her Grandmother in that she almost gets trapped by Marcus. Well done Thorne

A Time for Silence