1,723 Reviews
 (1,197)

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality Movie on Blu ray
Published 14 months ago by cathal

3.0 out of 5 stars Great film, Special features Stupidity
Love the film so that's why it's gets a three stars but how the special features have been released is a joke.
On the disk you get 35mins of extras all in HD
Creating the Red Planet
Attack on Starfleet
The Klingon Home World
The Enemy of My Enemy
Ship to Ship
Brawl by the Bay
.................
Sainsburys will have an exclusive...
Published 20 months ago by Vincent Perkins

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality Movie on Blu ray, 27 Feb. 2014
The picture and sound quality on the blu ray is terrific. The only draw back I had is that for some stupid reason, Paramount home entertainment only decided to place the audio commentary on digital download version of the movie. I find when a movie includes an audio commentary to be a huge bonus. I don't know why they did this, maybe to encourage people to abandon physical copies of movies for digital copies? Stupid idea anyway. Other than that. Good movie, on a brilliantly rendered Blu ray disc.

4.0 out of 5 stars A worthy addition to the Star Trek catalogue, 5 Feb. 2015
Colin McCartney (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I'd put off watching this for some time as I'd heard that it wasn't very good. However I'm happy to report that actually it's not at bad at all. The film does start to sag a little about two thirds of the way through, though not to the extent I wanted to switch off. The end of the film - the closing titles - is a nice tribute to the original TV series (bring it back, again, maybe?)

Chris Pine does a good Captain Kirk, and Zoe Saldana is great as Uhura. Karl Urban's McCoy ain't bad either. I'm not so sure about Zachary Quinto as Spock, or even Simon Pegg's Scotty - I can't fault their efforts, they just seem to me to be a little bit miscast.

If you're a fan of Star trek "Into Darkness" is definitely worth a watch. If you're not, well then it's probably not going to win you over (unlike the last Star Trek [DVD] - which did get the series some new fans).

3.5/5

4.0 out of 5 stars "That's a Technicality." "I am Vulcan, Sir. We Embrace Technicalities.", 10 May 2015
Mark Baker - Carstairs Considers (Santa Clarita, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Every Wednesday, I get together with a group of friends to enjoy some science fiction. We usually meet at a home, but this week we meet up at the theater to enjoy Star Trek: Into Darkness together. And what a fun ride it is.

Captain Kirk (Chris Pine) has ignored Starfleet directives one time too many. He's in the process of being demoted when Starfleet is attacked. Suddenly, he finds himself back in charge of the Enterprise on a mission to defeat this new villain, John Harrison (Benedict Cumberbatch).

John Harrison is hiding out on the Klingon home world, and the Klingons and the Federation are on the verge of war. Anything could set them off. Kirk's mission is to go in and kill John without anyone knowing that he's even there. But when the ship has trouble and Spock (Zachary Quinto) gets to Kirk's conscious, things change and Kirk begins to learn things that change what he thought he knew. What will he do now?

As one friend said, the character interactions in this movie are classic Star Trek. Even with the little I know about the Original Series, I was able to pick up on some of that. I was laughing at the new takes on classic lines right along with everyone else in the theater. And don't get me wrong, there was plenty of humor to enjoy.

And the acting is great. The entire cast is wonderful at bringing these classic characters to life while still making them their own. I continue to stand in awe of Zachary Quinto who has the biggest shoes to fill since Spock is such an iconic character. He's amazing at it. Benedict Cumberbatch is perfect as our villain as well.

While I wasn't that surprised at the ultimate outcome, I was certainly drawn into the film and enjoyed the ride the entire way. There is plenty of action to keep you engaged and the special effects are amazing. This is a big budget action flick, and it delivers on the promise.

However, there are parts that still niggle at me. Now granted, I am not familiar with the Star Trek cannon. In fact, what I don't know fills volumes. However, this movie, like the one before it, has turned it into more of a full fledged action flick. That's now what the show was, and I feel it looses some of its Star Trekness as a result.

There's also the fact that the movie has some tinges of darkness to it. I know, I know, it's right there in the title. Frankly, I don't find this film as dark as the last one. But both of them are more modern, forgetting the idealized view of the future that the original series offered us. Okay, so it was never realistic, but I do feel like loosing that is part of what makes Star Trek the franchise it is.

These are both minor quibbles, however, and I seem to be alone in my assessment of the movie as such. Most fans seem to love Star Trek: Into Darkness as much as the last one. And even with my feelings overall, I did enjoy watching this one. But the change in tone is one reason why I remain only cautiously optimistic about J. J. Abrams being in charge of the next Star Wars film.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent space opera in 3D, but with a plot full of Hollywood holes, 17 Sept. 2013
R. F. Stevens "richard23491" (Ickenham UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
I have the "3D" Blu-ray version, and I'll not comment on the film other than to say that it is pretty much as one might expect from the Amazon blurb and the surrounding hype; superb graphics and effects on both the "2D" and the "3D" versions, but lumbered with a plot shot through with the usual clichéd Hollywood holes.

The prime characters are surprisingly good replicas of the original Kirk, Spock, Scotty and Bones translated to JJ Abrams' alternative Star Trek universe, and given that major change I suspended any critical mental acuity, carefully forgot forty years of previous Star Trek memories, and simply enjoyed the film.

With a Samsung BD-F5500 and a proper “3D” HD TV the "3D" on this Star Trek disc was superb, better than it had been on the previous BD-E6100 "3D" player I borrowed. Played out at 1080p 24fps, the motion was smooth with no flicker or watery blurring (unlike the beginning of the Hobbit which was so bad we eventually watched in only 2D).

The only negative comments from the other viewers were about the occasional foreground "reflections" as if off the inside of a window or the dirt on the surface of the lens. I think this was a useful optical trick to ensure our eyes were not strained by excessive changes of focus; certainly none of us had headaches at the end of this film (unlike with some others).

The second ("2D") disc in the Blu-ray set plays perfectly well as normal HD with the full surround sound, and all the listed extras for this specific edition from Az are available. (Why offer different extras on different editions from different vendors? Other reviews have been very helpful in giving us the lists of other extras on other editions.)

Extras on the Blu-ray discs sold by Az in Sept 2013. (35mins).
. Creating the Red Planet
. Attack on Starfleet
. The Klingon Home World
. The Enemy of My Enemy
. Ship to Ship
. Brawl by the Bay

I've not bothered even thinking about the Digital Copy - what is the point when there is a high quality hard-copy in your hand?

Why only just squeezing into 4 stars? Well, it is not an outstanding film, not something one will revisit time after time in years to come, just a thoroughly enjoyable romp for the teenager hidden in all of us, but alas also a film all too easily forgotten.

I think the first JJ Abrams Star Trek is significantly better than this plot-wise and in generosity with the extras, and about the same with the CGI, meriting a solid 4* (perhaps even 5* for those who have not seen and loved the original Star Trek series.)

3.0 out of 5 stars Great film, Special features Stupidity, 1 Sept. 2013
The Sound of Music and FX
Aliens Encountered
( [...] )
................
iTunes gets the audio commentary
Plus this version is the full IMAX scenes (ie no black bars in certain shots)
(which if you have the blu ray you can actually claim for free with the digital copy code, just claim it on itunes)
............
This is all a bad joke. But then there more if you want the special case like a metal one or one that comes with a ship then you can only get that from Play.com and even at £50 it still dosent come with the special features. So annoying as a fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly entertaining sci-fi adventure., 7 Dec. 2014
FallenGrace (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
So i'm no Star Trek purist, grew up with Picard rather than Kirk so although i've seen the original series and movies and understand the references I greatly appreciate the modern take of these last two moviies.

Star Trek Into Darkness is the follow up to J.J. Abrams Star Trek (2009) reboot. In London in a secret underground Star Fleet archive an explosion rocks the city killing innocent people, not long after that Star Trek headquarters itself is attacked, both incidents can be tracked down to one rogue Star Fleet agent. With friends of Kirk dead the enterprise heads off on a mission to track the man down but not all is as it seems.

I rather enjoyed the story, it has fairly good pacing throughout, at no point was I bored by events going on. The cast once again step into their previous iconic roles with Karl Urban and Zachery Quinto as Bones and Spock especially standing out though Benedict Cumberbatch's performance as the main villain simply stole the movie for me, what an actor, he was genuinely menacing. I'm not personally sold on Chris Pine as Kirk though, he's great during the action but his performance is a little over shadowed by the other actors in other places. Doesn't harm the experience however.

The special effects are truly outstanding on my TV, the seamless integration of them into the film creates a level of believability, keeping the immersion. One of the better looking blu-rays image quality wise i've seen.

The only downside with the film is the lack of extras on the disc, essentially just half a dozen making of videos for certain scenes in the film that only run collectively for maybe 35-40 minutes. The film was so good however it didn't bother me much but should be noted for others who enjoy the extra features.

+ Fantastic pacing.
+ Some excellent performances.
+ Benedict Cumberbatch.
+ Fantastic special effects.

- Blu-Ray extras are lacking for such a big budget film.

5.0 out of 5 stars These are the voyages..., 8 July 2014
I loved the original series and upgraded to blu-ray with all the 3 series, I then purchased the latest star trek film and loved it, I then got this film and was blown away. The film has a great story and harks back to the original series with some great one liners and the ending is awesome. I got this cheap and it was well worth it, what can they do next?

3.0 out of 5 stars A DISAPPOINTINGLY AVERAGE SEQUEL, 14 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Star Trek Into Darkness [DVD] (DVD)
being a big star trek series fan (next gen/DS9/voyager)i approached the first 'star trek reboot' film with an open mind.i accepted that the next generation movies had run their course and they wanted to make star trek more trendy and appealing to new fans whilst not forgetting its roots/history.happily the result was an enjoyable,pumped up version with an appealing young cast that wasn't trying to be something it wasn't.which is why its a shame this follow up falls a bit flat.theres not much by the way of space battles,the plots a complete rehash of a story done to death in trek and the actors all seem to spend most of the film running round shouting a lot.a disappointment,unless your'e adding it to your collection i'd wait until its on tv!

3.0 out of 5 stars Benedict Cumberbatch did his best but was no Ricardo Montalban - his new version ..., 29 April 2015
This review is from: Star Trek Into Darkness [DVD] (DVD)
I have been a devoted Star Trek fan for many years and this was the first time ever that I was sorely tempted to give up watching before the film had ended. I persevered but shouldn't have bothered. Lots of action sequences doesn't compensate for an awful script and cardboard characterisation. Benedict Cumberbatch did his best but was no Ricardo Montalban - his new version of Khan lacked the charm of the original and his ability to draw us to him. I also don't know why Zachary Quinto was there, given that he had so little to do. Very disappointing.

3.0 out of 5 stars blu-ray disappointment, 26 Sept. 2013
D. J. Constable (sussex uk) - See all my reviews
Just to be clear from the start; I love this film. I've been a fan of Star Trek since the original series came to the UK in the late sixties and greatly enjoyed the recent JJ Abrams reboot and this its sequel. I was very much looking forward to the Blu-ray release as I assumed that it would be similar in format to the previous film.
What a disappointment! The actual film looks great and I enjoyed it in 2D at home much more than the eye straining 3D version I saw at the cinema. However, there is a distinct lack of special features, just a handful of behind the scenes shorts -no trailers, no deleted scenes, and, worst of all, no commentary. As for the Digital Copy, what you actually get is a code for a download from Itunes. This does give you access to the excellent commentary, but you can only watch it on your computer etc. and not on your tv. This should have been on the blu-ray disc.
So only 3 stars for this release, even though I would give the film itself 5 stars! Once again, we miss out on the best features on a UK release.

Star Trek Into Darkness [DVD]
Star Trek Into Darkness [DVD] by J.J. Abrams (DVD - 2013)