5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing and informative read, 28 July 2010
A. Colgan (N. Ireland) - See all my reviews
It's rare to find a factual, historical book so engrossing that I couldn't put it down. Michael Smith really brings to life this period of Arctic and Antarctic discovery and the harsh, life-threatening conditions that the explorers endured. The book was written in an easy-to-read style that maintained suspense throughout. However, I agree with the previous review that it would have been useful to have detailed maps at the start of the book to refer to. Nevertheless, this small omission did not impair my enjoyment of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really interesting, 15 Mar 2014
This review is from: Captain Francis Crozier: Last Man Standing? (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed this excellent and fascinating account of the life of a largely unsung hero of British polar exploration in the nineteeth century. It is well written and conveys much of the atmosphere of the times. Crozier's mysterious disappearance on his last expedition adds a frisson of intrigue to the whole story. My only complaint is that the maps do not show up well on my Kindle. I suppose that is an inevitable aspect of the ebook format.

5.0 out of 5 stars Usual great style from Polar writer, 7 Mar 2008
A tiny museum in Castletownbere gave me an tantilising introduction to Tom Crean, and an Amazon search then introduced me to Michael Smith and The Unsung Hero. I just loved it - a wonderful heoric tale by a very skilled author, and having fallen madly in love with Tom Crean I have now read just about everything there is on Antartic Exploration at the turn of the Century. This book is of the period half a century earlier and is written in the same wonderful style, where Michael Smith brings into your life a little known and probably even less admired hero. The book covers Crozier's many travels into both the Artic and Antartic, and takes us to the time when the latter was being explored for the first time, and most interesting, getting named. So those coves and coasts and mountains - Ross Shelf, Cape Crozier, Mount Terror and Mount Erebus etc, all come from Croziers era. Also, and so disappointingly, came all those bad habits that plagued the later explorations - like dependancy on man hauling, not using locally caught game, using canvas tents etc.
This is just a great book - just one small criticism - the picture reproduction is lousy and it desperately needs a couple of detailed maps at the beginning, so you can keep referring back, rather than try and find the rather undetailed ones hidden in the text.
Mr Smith - I've read both your Tom Crean books - please find another 'unsung hero' for us!