5.0 out of 5 stars Bought for motorhome
I bought this one instead of the camper version for use in my motorhome. I don't need campsites programmed in but I do need my vans dimensions in there to help me avoid really narrow roads.
Published 9 months ago by Allan

1.0 out of 5 stars freezing screen
i have a garmin dezl 760 the device looks beautiful and the features is quit impresssive especially the map i really like it
Published 13 months ago by Raf

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought for motorhome, 6 Mar 2014
This review is from: Garmin Dezl 760LMT-D City Navigator for Europe (Electronics)
I just got back from a 2000 mile trip to the south of France and back using the Garmin and it performed flawlessly. Map updating was easy, I was able to load in camping areas and Aires using Garmins POI loader and the internal memory seems adequate for all the extra information. I also have speed camera warnings and "dangerous road segments" for France installed with no problems.
The screen is easy to read and the voice control works great. Use it to adjust volume, it's easier than going through menus.
All in all, very pleased with how this unit works.
Of course, it's no substitute for common sense and there will be times when you have to change your route, but this unit recalculated new routes quickly with no annoying "recalculating" phrase. It just gets on with it.
It's not perfect, but it's damn close.

1.0 out of 5 stars freezing screen, 5 Nov 2013
But, and this is the clincher there is a fault with the system the screen keeps freezing on you which leave you frustrated.This happen 3 to 4 time aday i email Garmin but so far no reply I am looking to buy a tomtom 5150i dont know if is any good
Having just pass my class 1 i thourght i would buy the best satnave to help me
My recommendation do not buy the Gamin dezl 760 otherwise you will be frustrated when the screen freezes on you

4.0 out of 5 stars OK for Towing & Trucking, with a few niggles...., 2 Jan 2014
I have now used this extensively for both car use & towing a caravan.
In the past, I have always had Garmin Nuvi's which I have always rated. This unit works pretty much the same (excepting the obvious advantage to truckers & caravaners), but with the following positives & negatives over it:

POSITIVES:

1) The lifetime map updates is pretty good, and takes some of the sting out of the price.
2) The traffic info (which works by detecting mobile phones that are closer together than the norm on routes) really does work FANTASTICALLY. Set preferences to automatically detour when jams are detected, and this unit WILL get you there more quickly. Its kind of satisfying to avoid jams whilst everyone else proceeds into the jam lemming-style.
Having this also free for the lifetime of the unit is another aspect that makes the price seem more reasonable.
3) The lane guidance is helpful.
4) There are many voices pre-loaded, including one that speaks place/road names (quite fun as well as useful, as the pronunciation is often funny).
5) The caravan/truck aspect generally works pretty well (but see below).
6) Loads ready to use pretty fast from plugging in (faster than my old Nuvi).
7) Allows exact dimensions of caravan & car to be input, although exactly how scientifically well this effects the route choice is anyone's guess.
8) Changes easily & quickly between car, caravan or truck modes.

NEGATIVES:

1) The "Points Of Interest" (POIS) are not visible generally. On every Nuvi I have owned, just press the (-) magnification button until the screen shows every POI in the area you are (supermarkets, cashpoints, fuel etc). This also works by a search by map. even if searching a locale 100's of miles away.
The Dezl shows NOTHING in this manner. If you want to find somewhere you either do a search by the exact name (Tesco, for example), or a generic search (such as "Supermarkets"). All you then get is a LIST of destinations (or destination), giving you no real idea of where it is excepting "11.5 miles East", for example.
It is just so helpful to see all of the POIS, as it quickly gives you a far better idea of what is available.
If wishing to find a campsite you know exists somewhere in a locale 100's of miles away on a Nuvi, no problem... Just centre in on the map to that locale (from wherever you are) and you will see the site. Click on it & you can then save that point of interest...
With the Dezl you are completely stuffed... It will not even list the campsite in a general or name search until you are within 40 miles of it... You could do an address search, although these are rarely particularly accurate in France (for example).
I guess the Nuvi has spoiled me here & if anyone has a cure for this, Id love to know....
2) I have also found this units POI database limited. Sometimes it just cannot find an input pub or restaurant by name, for example (all you get is a never ending hourglass symbol).
3) Some of the European data is wrong... It seems to take literally years for a new roundabout in France to get included in the Garmin French database for example. In fairness, this map data problem in France applies to the whole of the Garmin range (and possibly Tom-Tom and others too)... Having said that, the inaccuracies in France (I cannot speak for other European countries) do not cause undue problems, as you still get there safely.
The UK mapping is totally faultless by the way.
4) The final gripe... The caravan/truck avoidance seems to work exceptionally well in the UK, although (again) does tend to screw up in France (on the very odd occasion). Twice, whilst bypassing French towns I know very well in caravan mode, the unit has tried to take me down tight town centre routes, even though a wide & more direct bypass route is far more obvious & easy.
I do travel a lot in France, though & this has only happened on two occasions out of hundreds.

This is still a very good unit, and even with its foibles (and seemingly pointless backward steps in comparison to even early Nuvi's re; POIS) I am still pretty happy with it.

PS: Make sure you download the free Garmin voice "Dr Nightmare"... Pretty funny (well, at least for a while).

1.0 out of 5 stars DEZL 760 - Beware of Device Glitches and Poor Customer Service, 19 July 2013
I am fairly new to truck driving so wanted to invest in a top of the line piece of equipment to help me in my new career....I did lots of research and finally decided to go for the Garmin DEZL760 especially as Garmin provide the aviation industry with much of their equipment so it's got to be good right?.....errrmmm no.

The DEZL760 freezes during route calculations at least 6 times a day, the unit also decided that it doesn't recognise my PC after the second time I tried to do map updates, I then spent 2 months in email conversation with garmin technical who to be frank simply kept sending me template 'try this' responses which were not helpful and showed no acknowledgment of my previous emails and information provided to them, they ignored my requests to actually speak to a customer service advisor and eventually sent me an order number to send the device back to them for what they later acknowledged was a known issue.....well I've just purchased a Tomtom 5150 Pro and will be sending the Garmin back and demanded a refund especially as today whilst driving through Whitchurch the device seemed to think I was floating over the streets instead of driving on them.....that was the final straw in a tedious relationship with this device and it's manufacturer.

To be fair the display is excellent and it's intuitive to use with plenty of clever little options but it's reliability and extremely poor technical support has left a sour taste in my mouth so it's over to tomtom now!

I can only hope and pray that that the Tomtom is better......looking at the reviews, it certainly doesn't seem to dissapoint.

4.0 out of 5 stars Can use with confidence, however ..., 31 Dec 2012
despicable (Arlesey, Bedfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Purchased this to use in a 44-tonne truck and my motorhome. I had been using a Garmin 760, but found I was spending a lot of time ignoring its instructions and using my truckers' map book.
To input the dimensions and weight of the trucks and motorhome into the Dezl 560 is quite easy and most other functions are very similar to the old 760. I initially had a problem in the registration process, but in the end I logged myself out of the MyGarmin web site and did the rather girlie-thing of reading the instructions. To do this allow the process to take about 30 to 45 minutes, so don't do it just prior to going out.
The display is slightly larger than the 760 and gives more detail, including: speed, ETA, distance to next instruction, mode (truck/motorhome/car etc). It does come up with other types of warnings, for instance if it's windy: this occurred the other day after the truck had wobbled a bit and the trees outside were madly waving, so not overly useful.
So far it has only tried to send me down one 7.5 tonne road (near M1 junc 13), and when I ignored it and went along the A421, it whinged that I was on a restricted road. Now that leads to one of its problems: a few of my deliveries have been within 7.5 access only areas; on entering them the screen is filled by a warning notice with two options: STOP or Accept. Pressing STOP, cancels the route (not very useful) and Accept gets rid of the notice, only for it to reappear at the next junction, with the same bunch of kamikaze car drivers trying to get under the wheels of my trailer on city roundabouts.
Another failing of the (my) Dezl 560 is the lane indicator doesn't show which direction the exit of the next roundabout is. This facility is on the Garmin sat navs in one firm I work for (very similar to the 760, but with truck function), so why not the bigger and more modern Dezl 560? And another problem with the Dezl 560 is it's risk adverse: this could be a good thing, but it means that if it doesn't have any data on a road, it will try to circumnavigate around it; not very useful while driving through new industrial sites.
The ETA must be based on the roads' speed limits; this is okay on dual- (50mph) and single-(40mph) carriageways, but on motorways (60mph), few trucks on the flat can accomplish that speed. At the moment I'm just adding about a minute for every 10km at the beginning of a journey, if it's mostly motorway; or just ignore it and arrive when I arrive.
Whilst approaching junctions on motorways that you need to change direction/lanes, it gives a 'street-view' of the junction ahead; I haven't found that function very useful, but there again, it doesn't do any harm and I suppose could be used as a sanity-check.
Overall I'm very pleased with Dezl 560 and have no regrets in its purchase. As with all sat navs, the program was probably developed by a pimply 16-year-old who's never driven, and overall the drivers of vehicles are responsible for all their actions. The screen and voice (English - Emily) are quite clear, and the Bluetooth facility was easy enough to use. It's a shame it didn't come with a carry case (I got an excellent one from Navitech).
I've yet to try it out with either my car (no point, I've still got my old 760) or motorhome (Christmas got in the way); so how it works with the supposedly preloaded Camping and Caravan Club sites is still untested.
The only other truck sat navs I've used is the aforementioned Garmin (which does the job, but I don't know its model number) and a professional system used on the data terminal of a well known high street food chain, which consistently thought it was 100 to 150 metres behind the truck (so in some cases you've passed the junction that it's telling you to turn at, not very co-operative, if you get my meaning). So based on my limited experience I'd recommend the Garmin Dezl 560.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sat Nav, 12 May 2013
Great sat nav. good clear instructions and life time updates. So much better than my navman. Truck/caravan setting fairly useful but not infallible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Husband things it is great, 7 Oct 2013
Husband says its great, he drive a lorry for a living and says it stop all the confusion with small roads/tracks and low bridges.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ill-thought-out interface and bug-ridden, 18 Oct 2013
For the most part the interface seems to work OK but there are a few annoyances:

I haven't found a way of turning off the annoying "ping" and message that it doesn't have any truck info for just about every non-A road as you turn into it;

I had hoped the small loudspeaker icon on the map screen would allow me to turn the volume up or down - it doesn't - it just turns the speaker on or off. You have to go out of the map to the startup screen to get to the volume control;

It would be great to be able to use a waypoint (POI) or a found location as an avoidance instead of having to scroll the map to the area you want and then either mark a section of road or a square area. It's really awkward to get to set avoidances whereas it would be easy to do so as a POI in the trip manager.

[Edited 13/11/13}

I've updated the mapping to the latest version and also updated to the latest firmware.

On a trip to Yorkshire last week set up as a motorhome towing a car-transporter trailer defined as 2.7m wide, 12.5m long, 3.3m high, 8.8 tons weight, maximum axle weight 2 tons, all audible cautions and advisories are enabled and No Lorries allowed is also enabled.

1. Despite the motorhome profile being ticked to advise of hills, sharp turns, etc. these warnings were never given. I also tried it defined without the trailer but it still didn't advise;

2. On one trip the route calculated attempted to take me up a 17% gradient then around a hairpin bend and up another 16% gradient - not really acceptable for such a combination - and it gave no warning;

3. At every point on the motorway network where I was required to change lane at a split and keep to either the left or right-hand lanes it failed to tell me until I was past the split. On one occasion it failed to tell me at all;

4. The map failed to refresh on numerous occasions leaving just a grey screen;

5. The estimated arrival time is always over-optimistic leaving me to believe the average road speeds held internally are incorrect for large vehicles, especially when towing.

I have emailed Garmin to let them know of these issues in the hope that they update the mapping and/or firmware to correct the problems.

I also have a feeling that the processor is not "man-enough" to handle the data and screen refresh.

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy with this, 23 Jun 2014
We have used this mainly when towing our caravan & we have it on caravan/motor-home setting & it is working well. I only gave it 4 stars as, like a lot of devices these days, it isn't the easiest thing to set up, especially when you programme in compass coordinates, as opposed to a postal code; when using postal codes it always asks for a house number & if you are going to a caravan site, for example, you don't have a house number & it won't give you directions without one, which can be very annoying. But it tells you the road names which is useful. When I was returning from a trip recently & had it on "car" setting, & was on the motorway,it directed me off the motorway as there was an incident further along & traffic at a standstill, it took me on another route to avoid the traffic jam which was very handy & saved me a long wait.

4.0 out of 5 stars Garmin, 17 Sep 2013
Good bit of kit froze on me once but I think it was my fault used in both the uk and Europe worked perfect

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›