Contrary to other reviews, the description states the following:

--------------------------------------
Please note: You are purchasing a code to download the 17 games. You will only receive a card with the code to download Command and Conquer: The Ultimate Edition. You will not receive a disc.

When I...
Published 22 months ago by JimboC

3.0 out of 5 stars Only half the games work on windows 7
Only half the games work on windows 7
Red alert and red alert 2 don't work
Tiberium sun works but it crashes alot.
Published 4 months ago by Blueriot

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great on Windows 8, 64 bit. Playing with Windows 7, 64 bit causes issues but most can be worked-around, 28 Oct 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Command and Conquer: The Ultimate Edition (PC Download Code) (License)
Contrary to other reviews, the description states the following:

--------------------------------------

When I bought this from Amazon, I knew what I was getting.
I agree with the review that states that the games are supposed to work on Windows 7, but as was also pointed out, not all do. I am using Windows 8 64 bit and the games that I have played so far work, here's a list:

Command & Conquer
Command & Conquer Red Alert 2: Total Size: 1.9 GB
Command & Conquer Red Alert Yuri's Revenge
Command & Conquer Renegade: Total Size: 1.4 GB
--------------------------------------

Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun and Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun Firestorm (Total Size: 1.7 GB) don't work on Windows 7 64 bit or Windows 8 64 bit. The only solution that I have found is to play these 2 games using a Windows XP SP3 32 bit virtual machine. I have deducted 1 star for this. Using this approach, these 2 games work perfectly.

The games are quite large and do take time to download but fortunately Origin (the program used to download and launch these games) has a built-in download manager that resumes if the connection is lost. So no matter how slow your connection is, you will eventually download them.

For assistance with these games I would very highly recommend the Official Command and Conquer Forums ( commandandconquer.com/forums/ ) for assistance. There are many dedicated fans willing to help you. We have not yet found a solution to Tiberian Sun / Tiberian Sun Firestorm not working on Windows 7 64 bit or later but the vast majority of other issues have been resolved/worked-around.

The issue with Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun and Tiberian Sun Firestorm is that the game installs and can be launched as normal but clicking on any of the menu options e.g. to start a new game, a new skirmish, online play or to load an existing game resulting in nothing happening. It is as if you never clicked the option (the game doesn't crash for me). There a number of workarounds listed on the forums but none have yet worked for other members or me.

I would also recommend the 1.06c Revision 3 Patch from Nyerguds for Command & Conquer and Command & Conquer The Covert Operations since it fixes some crash bugs and provides a higher resolution that makes these 2 game far easier to play. Nyerguds is a member of the forums mentioned above and is extremely helpful with any issues concerning this patch. I have not experienced any issues using his patch (just don't allow Origin to update this pair of games after installing the patch since the auto-update will undo the improvements of this patch).

My advice is to set the games to download and leave them to do so. I downloaded all of the above games in about 5 hours (the download rate varied from 800 Kbps to 1 Mbps). I will download the rest one by one so as not to use up my monthly download allowance (download cap). The largest games are:

Command & Conquer Generals: Total Size: 3.0 GB
Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour
Command & Conquer Red Alert 3: Total Size: 15.1 GB
Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 Uprising
Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars: Total Size: 11.1 GB
Command & Conquer 3 Kane's Wrath
Command & Conquer 4 Tiberian Twilight: Total Size: 5.9 GB
--------------------------------------

They can each range from 6 to 11 GB in size; I have not downloaded them yet for this reason. In total the games come to approximately 43 GB (not bad for 17 games).
One final point is about the Additional Content, which varies by region, since I live in Europe, for me this contains:

--------------------------------------
Wallpapers from some of the games (Red Alert 3 and Command and Conquer Tiberian Wars and Kane's Wrath).
Video trailers of the upcoming Command and Conquer powered by Frostbite and another game, Tiberian Alliances.
--------------------------------------

If you live outside the US, this is what you will get. The music and commemorative art are not part of this package from Amazon.
You can buy the music from the Ultimate Collection separately from Amazon as MP3 files.

For the first list of 8 games above, all worked perfectly on Windows 8 64 bit without any tweaking or changes required. Command & Conquer and Command & Conquer The Covert Operations also worked perfectly on Windows 8, 64 bit but I did install the community patch mentioned above to increase the resolution of the game. This means you can see more of the game on the screen and do not need to scroll as much. The game was created in 1995 when 640x480 was all a screen could display so it's not a fault with the game, screen resolutions have simply increased over the years. The patch works with Windows 8 64 bit without any issues (but do remember to turn off CnCDraw using the patches configuration panel (CCConfig.exe, contained in the installation folder for these 2 games).

Overall I am very pleased with this collection. I did play each game as it became available over the years i.e. from 1995 onwards but it has been a long time since I have played them so am I re-living many happy memories. I would have preferred to receive many DVDs or 1, dual layer Blu Ray disc (50 GB) with all of the games on it but the download method isn't too bad.

EA / Victory Games may provide patches in the future to eliminate the small issues that I have encountered (I have now worked around them) but this is not guaranteed. My advice is to buy this collection, 17 games for 22.17 since it is excellent value. If you encounter any issues, the Command and Conquer forum members (including myself) are happy to help.

Thank you.

-------------------
The specification of the computer I have been using to play these games is as follows:

Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.4 GHz
16 GB DDR 3 Dual Channel RAM
EVGA Geforce GTX 580 SC (x2 in SLI mode)(Nvidia 306.97 WHQL Driver)
Windows 8 Pro, 64 bit

Updated July 2014:
Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.4 GHz
16 GB DDR 3 Dual Channel RAM
1x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan (836 Mhz Base, 876 Mhz Boost)(Nvidia 334.89 WHQL Driver)
Windows 8.1 Pro, 64 bit with Update 1

Update 13th July 2014:

I can now confirm that all of the following games also work on Windows 8.1 (with Update 1) in addition to those listed above for Windows 8.0:

Command & Conquer Red Alert 3
Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 Uprising
Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars
Command & Conquer 3 Kane's Wrath
Command & Conquer 4 Tiberian Twilight

No changes were necessary to have any of these games working perfectly. Tiberian Sun and Generals/Generals Zero Hour do not work on Windows 8.0 or Windows 8.1 for me (even when using the suggested workarounds). I play these in a Windows XP SP3 virtual machine (not connected to the internet) using VMware Workstation 10.0.3 instead.

Enabling Windows XP compatibility mode to resolve this has been suggested by commenters to this review (many thanks for your suggestions, they are always welcome :) ). For me this did not work but if it works for you, I'm very pleased and it's an easier alternative to using a virtual machine. From what I can tell the success of compatibility settings can vary from computer to computer, for example more than 1 source (which includes EA Support) suggest enabling Vista compatibility mode to enable Command & Conquer 4 Tiberian Twilight to work on Windows 8.0 (or newer). However for me, this was not necessary to have it working perfectly on Windows 8.1 (with Update 1), while others stated it resolved their compatibility issues (I am unsure why this varies from person to person).

I hope the above update is useful, thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Star General, 11 April 2014
One day I was browsing on-line at various products which may interest me and then I saw it "Command and Conquer" the complete set. I swear I blanked out for 15 minutes just staring at the screen in surprise and shock. When I came too I went ahead and bought he product without hesitation. I selected the First class option of delivery so That I could bring pain and destruction apon my enemy's as soon as possible.
For those of you out there who have never played this game I can only describe it as orgasmic. My particular favourites are "Red Alert" and "Generals". The rush you feel as your army grow to such numbers that even Gods fist can not stop you. To feel the exhilaration as a squad of planes fly over as you listen to "Danger Zone" from top gun (music not included in game. And the best feeling of all is when you commit genocide with the click of the mouse. That experience is the best I scream to the heavens and laugh with my arms out stretched screaming to the Gods to try and challenge me.Sometimes I role play whilst in game. I dress as a Soviet general. Hat, Boots, Medals and even side arm. You can get all this costume on Amazon.
However I hit a problem when I ordered. The game was late. By a week. I have never felt my heart sink so much. Not because I didn't have the game but because I could not bring pain apon the ones lesser than myself. Who would send an army of terror drones at a tank squadron? Who would shoot down the American air force with RPGs? Who would bring misery on the innocent. I complained and got the game re sent to me free. was a little annoying having to wait. Oh well. Anyway the reason I am giving it 5 stars is not only because it is an excellent series but because I see my self as a 5 star general and wouldn't think any less of myself.

DANGER ZONE!

3.0 out of 5 stars Only half the games work on windows 7, 2 April 2014
Only half the games work on windows 7
Red alert and red alert 2 don't work
Tiberium sun works but it crashes alot.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time., 19 Jun 2014
I thought i was bying a disc. These downloads are a rip off. Three weeks of trying to download this game and still no sucsess. I passed it on to a friend 1 week ago, but she can't download it either. I will have to send it back. What a waste of time, and what a windup. A disc is the answer, downloads disguised as disc's are a ripoff.

1.0 out of 5 stars Download code doesnt work, 3 April 2014
Try to redeem product code and the website said the code had already been used. Someone has used the code and it aint me!!

2.0 out of 5 stars a lot of problems uploading due to unclear or no ..., 6 July 2014
a lot of problems uploading due to unclear or no proper instructions.when i finally worked it out(by chance), some of the games did'nt work, i have'nt tried them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars All games like it says, 27 Jun 2014
All the games as it says, and they worked on my desktop with windows 7 fine with the exception of some of the earlier games cutscenes and videos looking odd.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money but not without its bugs., 12 Jun 2014
As someone who is always looking for time to kill while at work, I was delighted when I noticed this amount of content for such a low price. I had already done some prior research so was not taken aback by the mandatory installation of the Origin client. (Although it is a nuisance having yet another launch program on my computer.)

The games themselves are just as I remembered and just as fun but I had problems with a large majority of them struggling to run consistently well on windows 7. The original C+C and the original Red Alert for example seemed to encounter problems in booting and, although fine at first soon started to crash almost constantly. There a various "fixes" out there for these problems but none of the solutions I tried seemed to rectify mine.

Moving on, Tiberian Sun again had crashing issues though not nearly as many and Red Alert 2 seemed to bug out during certain missions making them impossible to play. Truthfully, the only games I didn't experience problems with were everything from Generals onwards, very irritating considering I was planning a nostalgia trip by playing them all through.

All in all, for the price it is more than worth it for even half of the games that the code grants access to but buyers beware, it may be a bumpy ride to get them working!

4.0 out of 5 stars 17 games for 10, Shame about Origin, 8 Jun 2014
I understood perfectly well that I was buying a code that I could use to download all these games from EA.

I however was not told that I would have to download them via "Origin", an application that has to be downloaded and installed onto your computer before you can download and install the games you PAID for.

You may think this isn't a big deal, just download what you want and get rid of it, but oh no, you can't PLAY the games you PAID for without Origins permission. Even though you have all the files you need to run it. not connected to the internet? cant play the games you PAID for, not got Origin on your computer ? nope you cant play the games you PAID for.

This is not made clear to you at any stage, until you have the code in your hands and go to the EA website.

Also on a side note, you can have the code delivered to you for 10, but for it to be emailed that's 25. erm. really ?

Anyway great value !! for some good games. well worth the money.

But be aware, Origin holds all the keys to games and if you don't play by its ridiculous rules, you cant play.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Worth It!, 18 May 2014
17 Games at this price is astounding value! Bought a few copies for me and my brothers to play online and we're having a blast! Mostly playing on C&C3 Kane's Wrath but we've also tried C&C4 and that works flawlessly too! Looking forward to trying out the other games!

At first we all wanted to get these on Steam but the ultimate collection isn't available and for the games that are available on Steam, well this Ultimate Edition on Origin represents much better value for money so all in all, highly recommended!

Command and Conquer: The Ultimate Edition (PC Download Code)
8.38