Format: Vinyl|Change

on 22 November 2012
With beautiful sound and beautiful sleeves, this is a very nicely packaged set. Amazon delivered it to me barely 24 hours after I ordered it (I love these people!) and I have not been disappointed. The records sound fresh and powerful and the production team saw fit to provide the mono versions of My Generation and A Quick One... A good choice - the stereo version of My Generation is a nice listen, but I find myself getting annoyed with some of the missing overdubs, e.g. guitar on My Generation and A Legal Matter, so the mono mix is definitely preferable. The 1995 stereo version of A Quick One has always sounded untidy to me, making clear the amateurish way in which Kit Lambert recorded the band. The mono version presented here sounds much more concise and is obviously how it was intended to sound.

With the rest of the albums, we get the original stereo mixes. These are quite a revelation to me, as for the most part I've only ever heard the remixed 1990s versions that are standard on the CD releases. The differences aren't that obvious across many of the songs, but there certainly are some. So far, these seem most obvious on The Who By Numbers. The original mixes for Sell Out, Tommy, Who's Next and Quadrophenia have been available on CD in the more recent deluxe editions.

For me, this is the best the Who have ever sounded and looked (the sleeves are very nicely printed) and, when it comes to listening to music, there's nothing better than the process of actually taking a record out of its sleeve and playing it - so much more satisfying than clicking Play on a CD or mp3. The only reason I've given 4 rather than 5 stars is that Live At Leeds isn't included (I realise this isn't a studio album, but surely it's the only other album that can count as part of the official Who canon, so why not include it here?). It would also be great if they had produced a Past Masters type extra album to collect up all of the other studio recordings officially released by the band. I don't mean alternate versions, but just the non-album singles, B-sides, EP tracks etc. It's really difficult to get hold of all these tracks without buying what seems like a hundred other collections (Who's Missing, 30 Years of Maximum R'n'B, Two's Missing etc.), some of which haven't been in print for years.

In summary, the CDs are still essential for all the bonus tracks and alternate versions, but if you love The Who and love vinyl, make sure you get this set.
77 comments|40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 October 2013
Per se there had already been the "Phases"box in the 80's that went up to Who Are You if I am not wrong: This one corrects things a little in the sense that one gets the late 80's records as well as the most recent one on vinyl for those who had not gotten them. There is the British version of My Generation. On thing that is debatable is the absence of Live at Leeds: indeed while being a live disk it is still a major record in the Who's legacy. One problem is that Live at Leeds has been re-edited to deat with Deluxe and extra-deluxe editions so that it is probably not necessary to have it again...even though it was more or less a "regular" album historically.
on 12 October 2015
Everything about The Who was sloppy genius...they just managed to cling onto being brilliant, disjointed albums that seemed to work but shouldn't have..!!
That's what was appealing about this group, they where as calculated as blind ...but with outstanding results. ..love or hate them, they survived.
I saw them approx 15 years ago, Joe Strummer supporting, excellent double billed concert. At the time cds ruled my life, 180gram vinyl reissues where few and very far between, or too expensive. Nowadays they it seems that nearly every cd release is also a 180gram issue too, which kind of spoils the hunt, it's all too easy, and expensive.
But when this was first released I jumped at the pre order chance of owning one...a full box set of The Who vinyl....was I pleased with the contents, quality, value for money...I was pleased and I was disappointed, the contents and the value for money are 100%, plenty of black plastic for the money, it was the sleeves that brought me back to realising this box is a reissue, just as I being transported back to the good old days of 1960/70s dismal UK teenage angst, I was back to NOW, and the realisation of how tacky and dull these sleeves are. ...what a waste of time releasing a retro box, and not even getting the sleeves right, at least slightly authentic, it's the colours, the fine art work that makes the difference, such a shame....
Still worth the money, sound wise 100%, let down by lazy sleeve quality......
The Who are a institute in the UK, and a box set like this is a worthy salute to them, it may not be quite right, but it's a start. If you cannot afford the full box, then either try to collect the ones you need or want individually, or wait for a miracle for a cheap second hand one to appear in your local record boutique (if one still exists in your area).
We cannot have everything, The Who never quite got their music right collectively, so maybe this box set was calculated to keep the ethos of the group alive, something had to be disjointed, and the sleeves fell victim....
The Who, a marvellous group of misfits that managed to fit a square peg into a round hole....I bloody love 'em for it.... Enjoy.
on 26 April 2015
Ofcourse the musical content is FAB, but as far as the original artwork sleeves is concerned, we didn't have barcodes in the 60's, 70's and 80's. Bit sloppy that!
on 17 February 2014
wow what a great item other half loved it thank you guys best thing i bought will be shopping more from you any day. Once again thank you made me very happy.
on 29 August 2014
My review is no reflection on the music contained inside. Also the concept of the box set was excellent - though a nice book, as found in the Beatles box set, would have made a great addition. However, the quality of the set I received left a lot to be desired. The records themselves were covered in white paper dust & black plastic fragments from the records' pressing - it would have been better to have plastic sleeves for each record as well. Each record needed a thorough clean before playing. Even after cleaning, most, if not all, records still had what looked like 'water marks' for want of a better description. The inner sleeve for the Face Dances album was torn at the fold, the booklet in Quadraphenia was torn at the staple where it was glued to the album cover, one of the records in the Endless Wire album got stuck toward the end, & as for Tommy...being a dounble LP, sides 1 & 2 are supposed to be on 1 record & sides 3&4 on the other. However, sides 1&4 were on one & sides 2&3 on the other! One album sleeve wasn't glued together properly either. It doesn't give a good example of the Czech Republic's record manufactuuring industry, where this is manufactured. Overall, very disappointing quality. I will buy again at a later time, should any be left but I won't be holding my breath. The 2 stars are for the music & the concept. The quality of manufacture is/was very, very poor.
66 comments|One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse