5.0 out of 5 stars Thinner Leaner Stronger
I've managed to look up a wide variety of sources as part of my commitment to a long term lifestyle change.

Published 11 months ago by zombielover

3.0 out of 5 stars Not an easy read
I'm reading through this book at the moment because I really want to educate myself on the best way to train at the gym and which meals compliment the training.
I can see that Michael is very knowledgeable in what he writes about but I am really struggling to understand the content so I can put in into practice. I'm dyslexic and this will have a lot to do with my...
Published 1 month ago by L. Holloway

5.0 out of 5 stars Thinner Leaner Stronger, 24 Aug 2013
zombielover "perpetual student" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Thinner Leaner Stronger: The Simple Science of Building the Ultimate Female Body (The Build Muscle, Get Lean, and Stay Healthy Series) (Kindle Edition)

Unhappy with my form and results I've been seeing in my apathetic gym routines, I decided to spend some money on "Thinner Leaner Stronger" as the reviews had been so favourable and on reviewing the YouTube channel, decided that Matthews probably does know what he's going on about ;)

I read this before going to a healthy eating seminar at my local gym; they told me nothing that I didn't know here, and indeed didn't go in to the detail that Matthews does. The dietary recommendations, the recommended exercises, and the way to treat your routines, all make complete sense.

I've left it 2 weeks of following Matthews' recommendations before actually writing this review. In that time I've dropped 4% body fat so suffice to say that when you've got a lot to lose it comes off quickly, his recommendations can and do work if you follow his guidance.

Couple this with a bit of elbow grease at the gym and you've got a realistic and sensible building block for a healthier future. It's not a lot of money to invest in your personal health, so go ahead and buy it, ladies!

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressively thorough, 14 Jan 2014
P. Young "neppyjane" (Cambs, UK) - See all my reviews
Over the years, I've read a lot about fitness and nutrition, researched and tried out all sorts of exercise, both cardiac and weight-training, experimented with all sorts of different ways of eating. I thought I knew quite a lot, and thought I'd found the ideal fitness lifestyle, but have been frustrated just lately because after an initial improvement I seemed to have reached a stalemate. Not just a stalemate, in fact; my fitness level and energy levels seemed to be dropping.

I wanted to revive my enthusiasm and maybe experiment with a new variation on my gym regime, which was basically HIIT cardio three or four times a week, preceded by 30-45 minutes of weight training, alternating upper and lower body, lowish reps and trying to increase my weights each time. I was eating a healthy diet, averaging about 1400-1600 calories a day on most days, and nearly all healthy food - all homecooked.

I saw this book, and all the good reviews, so decided that for less than the price of a Starbucks and a sandwich, I'd give it a go.

So pleased I did. Let me stress, though, that I only bought it at a couple of days ago so haven't tried out the plan properly. However...a review on here should be for the book itself, not the outcome of the plan it explains, which is why I'm writing this now (before anyone points out that I'm jumping the gun.

I can see the mistakes I've been making in my regime so far - I haven't been far off at all, but I need to make minor tweaks here and there, and a couple of major changes, and I can see that this should then work, or at least have a better chance of getting me to the fitness level I want to be at.

It goes into really comprehensive - and understandable! - detail about what and why you should be eating certain foods. I'd had a little knowledge before so didn't understand fully the point of what I should be eating, but now it makes sense.

Exercise-wise, again it's all extremely comprehensive and not only do you get the exercise plan, but you get an explanation of why you need to do the exercises, which ones you should do, when you should do them and how to do them - and it all makes complete sense! There are some reviewers on here who complain about all the links in the book, but ignore these reviews - the links are much better than any pictures as you can click straight through, see exactly how to perform the exercise, then come back again to the book. (NB for this reason, it's good to get it on kindle - I have a kindle app on my ipad which enables me to do this).

This is the women's version of the original Bigger Stronger Leaner men's book, and Mike does his best to tailor it for us - however, if you're like me, you will need to work out how you're going to be realistically able to do the weight-training exercises. For example, at my gym, it's very hard to get near the free weights and the barbells because of all the men - a common problem for us! - not just because it's intimidating but because they do tend to quite literally shoulder you out of the way. I emailed Mike to ask him about using the exercise machines at the gym (which I had been using) and he emailed me back (Yes! He really does live up to his promise and reply!) to say I would be much better off using free weights instead. So be aware that you may have to either get yourself a home gym sorted out or look at following a bodyweight regime - which you can adapt so that you are able to do an acceptable version of the lifting plan. (You can find all this information on his website).

He's a nice guy, very knowledgeable and dedicated, and enthusiastic. He seems to really know his stuff and I am looking forward to getting started...I am in my fifties now and the dreaded menopause is really trying its best to turn me into a sluggish lump, but I'll do my best to beat it.

So give it a go - I think anyone interested in fitness should be very impressed and find it very useful. (My husband has just bought Bigger Leaner Stronger and he's off doing his workout as I write this...)

4.0 out of 5 stars Valuable information, 29 Oct 2013
I first purchased Bigger Leaner Stronger which is a great book for males but as I was going to follow the program with my wife, I also opted to buy Thinner Leaner Stronger. I was disappointed as basically both books are virtually identical and if I had known that I would of only bought one. That said, I am a personal trainer and I relate to everything Mike prescribes. I read so much information and I have decided to stop and just follow one program for myself and I have chose to follow Mike's.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book money can buy, 27 Jan 2013
Want to loose weight and get to the gym but don'y know how?? Then I would whole heartedly recommend purchasing this book!!

I have been a 'follower' of fitness for years but one thing that I simply could not get my head around was what to do in the gym. I knew that high reps of full body workouts was not the way to do it and was clearly apparent that women stick to the cardio machines whilst the men stuck to weights! Again I just knew this was wrong.

Personal trainers where useless and didn't know what they where talking about and non gave any specifics that was personalised to my own body composition. I knew I had to eat a balance of protein and carbs but I didn't know how much. I had successfully lost weight following the atkins diet but I just didn't know how to eat and when to eat if I was to begin training (properly).

I have followed many health magazines and surfed the web enough times to know that I still didn't have enough knowledge to confidently step into a gym and lift.

It wasn't until I purchased this book (last week btw) that I now know what to do and most importantly how to do it properly. And next time I am in a debate about nutrition and training I will actually throw this book at the person I am talking too.

It really is the BEST BOOK EVER!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Eye-opener, 30 Mar 2013
I can say with much confidence that this book is a must-have for any woman wanting to get totally fit and strong. I have been strength training for about a year and wondered why i don't look like this gorgeous women on Bodybuilding.com. After reading Thinner Leaner Stronger, i can see why. Michael Matthews sets out a detailed diet and exercise plan and makes you very aware of what you are probably doing wrong which you would never even imagine has such an impact on your goals. Thank you to Michael for the wonderful supportive manner in which this book was written... it feels like i have support throughout my entire journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Weight under control at last!, 16 Aug 2013
I have really enjoyed the book, and I have been amazed at my progress over the last month. The very day I started training the fat started shifting. I had tried diets and fasting and cardio over the last SIX years to get back in shape after my 2nd child. I got to the point, age 43, where I could barely eat anything (1000 kcal a day wouldn't shift weight) and cardio didn't seem to be burning any fat at all. I was so frustrated. Funnily enough cardio and sensible eating worked after my first child.

Now I am eating more (around 1300 kcal is the aim but I often have 1400-1500) and have lost 2.5 kgs (5.5 lbs) so far. Admittedly I could have lost more if I had stuck to the food intake recommendations more rigidly, still it is the summer holidays. On the weeks I have followed it exactly I have lost a couple of pounds. It wouldn't be exaggerating to say I am overjoyed at this point! I do the workouts in 3 sessions a week and very little cardio as I am out and about with the kids a lot at the moment. I mostly feel stronger and my energy levels are improving. There is some work to do on nutritional calculations but I don't mind this, in fact it is great to have a precise guide, and to have control over my weight again is incredible.

You can either join a gym to try the routines, or invest in a fair bit of equipment at home (I do it at home, my husband goes to a gym).

The help and personal customer service provided after buying the book is excellent.

Update at 10 weeks - weight still going down with no starvation, had a week off and weight reduced that week too so my metabolism didn't go back to it's old ways. Now 8lbs down, a good dress size smaller and feeling stronger and so much happier. I wont ever stop lifting weights, I could not go back to eating at very low levels again just to avoid putting on weight and with my muscles gradually wasting away as I get older. I am so glad I read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant book! :), 12 July 2014
Brilliant book with loads of useful info and finally someone who explains it clearly! Thanks Mike :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavily recommend, 10 July 2014
I would heavily recommend this book to any woman who is looking to get some great knowledge about fitness in general. Mike Matthews explains everything perfectly with a step by step guide with the fitness program he has included in the book. The nutritional aspect is as valuable, if not - more.

There is great advice in this book and I am sure if you buy this book it will change your outlook and open up your mind to a new way of training and your nutritional intake.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 July 2014
Enjoyed reading this book, couldn't put it down, very informative too

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 1 July 2014
get this book its ace! could do with a meal plan book more towards uk customers but if you follow this it works