4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect !
Published 22 months ago by F. van den Bogaard

1.0 out of 5 stars Why No 1963 Version
I will give the previous editions five stars as they covered the hit parades perfectly. I was waiting in anticipation all year for the next edition, 1963, the year that music rally changed, but nothing... could this a direct result of the changes in EU law that protects recordings beyond the previous 50 years limit.

This is a shame as this series over the years...
Published 10 months ago by Mr. Robert J. Price

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect !, 6 Jan 2013
F. van den Bogaard "Frank B" (The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 1962 British Hit Parade Part 1: January to June (Audio CD)
Being a Dutch music lover I love "strolling" through the old British Hitparades when instrumentals were still popular and a lot of covers were released, also discovering songs I never heard before. Well Fantastic Voyage just released the year 1962. Once again the sound quality is very good and the liner notes of Stuart Colman are delicious! Last year I switched from the Acrobat to the Fantastic Voyage releases because I prefer pressed CDs instead of CD-R burning, taking the exotic cardboard box of the set for granted. For two years they tried to make a difference with a very unpractical housing. And now they changed the box again, radically. This time it is almost perfect! The height is still the same, but the box is very flat and the booklet with the liner notes has the right size for eyes that are not that young anymore. Only one small thing to make it perfect is missing, the title of the set on the spine. After all this is a booktype format and standing or lying in the shelf it is hard to detect a particular set. That should be no problem. Maybe next year?

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Amazing Production!!!, 13 Jan 2013
Bill Busse "in the attic at bill's" (Fairmont, MN United States) - See all my reviews
I've listened to the entire collection (Volume 1-1962) and am happy to say
the sound is great, the liner notes are great and the new packaging which
saves space is also great. There is only one problem here: each CD needs
to be placed in a poly sleeve before being placed in its slot in the pack.
It is almost impossible to remove and return CDs to their slots without
consistently scuffing the discs. I don't know how many scuffs discs can take
before it affects play.

Also thanks to other reviews I now know that the 2 different formats are
actually different productions (Acrobat vs Fantastic Voyage). Until now
I'd thought the same company was producing them in 2 formats so those
interested could buy the 4 CD sets/picture covers or the long boxes...thanks)

4.0 out of 5 stars 1962 British Hit Parade Part 1 (also applies to part 2), 5 Feb 2013
This review is from: 1962 British Hit Parade Part 1: January to June (Audio CD)
The selection of tracks on this set and the quality of the recordings is very good. Another reviewer remarked about lesser known tracks that didn't actually enter the British charts, I have no objection to this as I have all the well known ones and this set allows me to fill in tracks I don't already have. I thought the packaging on the 1960 and 1961 series was poor but this is worse, the CDs just slip into slots inside the covers, not good. Why can't they use jewel cases. I have a couple of thousand CDs and this set will not fit onto the shelves and have to be stored elsewhere. It's because of this I have given it 4 stars instead of 5.

Forget to mention before but this set of 5 discs (Part 1) does not have CD texting on them. Very annoying if converting to MP3 as you have to key in the track details.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Trip Down Memory Lane, 26 Jan 2013
Mike Flex (Peterborough UK) - See all my reviews
OK so let's put this album into perspective. If you download it, it costs less than 6p per tune. I put this in before all the purist record collectors come on and pull it apart track by track. On a couple of tracks, the remastering has created strange effects. Certainly effects that are not on my original mono singles. I am also not convinced that every track is the original single release. A couple of the tracks sound as if they were copied from a Dansette onto a tape recorder (remember doing that!) But as I said, for 6p a tune what the heck!

This album is a fantastic trip down memory. I have gone for the download, previous years I have purchased the box sets which are beautifully presented. Buy it, in whatever format, and enjoy it for what it is.

I was worried that that the Cliffs Law change to copyright might stop these sets being published, I hope not as I really am looking forward to 1963-1967, and I don't want to wait another 20 years to hear them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, shame about the new packaging., 7 Jan 2013
D. Hill - See all my reviews
This review is from: 1962 British Hit Parade Part 1: January to June (Audio CD)
I have started to listen to this great series and so far the recordings are excellent as in previous years. However the new packaging is a big let down compared to 1960 and 1961. This year it is done for cheapness with no separate covers for each CD as in previous years. In addition they are not contained in a good quality cardboard box as in previous years. So good recordings but shame about the new shoddy presentation which means one star is deducted.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Trip Down Memory Lane, 26 Jan 2013
Mike Flex (Peterborough UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 1962 British Hit Parade Part 1: January to June (Audio CD)
OK so let's put this album into perspective. If you download it comes at less than 6p per track. I put this in before all the purist record collectors come on and pull it apart track by track. On a couple of tracks, the remastering has created strange effects. Certainly effects that are not on my original mono singles. I am also not convinced that every track is the original single release. A couple of the tracks sound as if they were copied from a Dansette onto a tape recorder (remember doing that!) But as I said, for 6p a tune what the heck!

I was worried that that the Cliffs Law change to copyright might stop these annual sets being published, I hope not as I really am looking forward to the years 1963-1967, and I don't want to wait another 20 years to hear them.

4.0 out of 5 stars 1962 British Hit Parade - Part 1, 22 July 2013
This review is from: 1962 British Hit Parade Part 1: January to June (Audio CD)
Five discs containing all the records in the hit parade in the first half of 1962. Good quality recordings. Not impressed with the packaging however, would prefer to have the discs in jewel cases.

5.0 out of 5 stars Music was my first love...., 11 Jun 2013
This review is from: 1962 British Hit Parade Part 1: January to June (Audio CD)
I have to thank Future Noise Music for this, their latest year-by-year compilation. This is Part 1 of the 1962 line-up covering January to June on 5 CD's, so with Part 2 as well you have every single record which entered the UK charts in 1962. I have a large collection of records and CD's, but this series makes it complete. I am now 61 years old, so this compilation covers the period when I was 9-10. In compilations like this there will always be records that you disliked at the time, but perhaps grow on you through the nostalgia factor, but I was surprised how many records I had either completely forgotten or had never even heard. I now have the series from when the UK record Charts commenced in 1952 through to this present compilation, and I'm really pleased to have these in my collection. I look forward to the series continuing through the 60's.

5.0 out of 5 stars 1962 hit parade, 26 May 2013
This review is from: 1962 British Hit Parade Part 1: January to June (Audio CD)
Bought as a gift for my partner who is collecting these. Needless to to say, he's really enjoyed listening to all the tracks. Arrived promptly within just a couple of days of ordering, great service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Continuing a great series, 23 April 2013
This review is from: 1962 British Hit Parade Part 1: January to June (Audio CD)
Love the concept of this series, featuring every chart entry on the UK singles chart for the specified period. The sound quality is surprisingly good as Fantastic Voyage obviously don't own any of the original masters. So presumably, the recordings are taken from other sources. I prefer the slim-line packaging on this set compared to the 1960/61 sets as it takes up less space. The informative and entertaining booklet is also highly commendable as it was in previous issues. Apparently the Acrobat version of this series is manufactured on CD-Rs, so this is definitely the version to go with.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›