Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

I would like to stress that this is not a review of the film overall; it's a classic and my favourite version of the story. What I'm reviewing is specifically the Renown Pictures version of the film, which is a travesty and would be overpriced in a Poundland bin. The case is poor quality and the insert looks like it was run off on a bad home printer, but I could forgive that. What makes me angry is the state of the film and what you actually get.

Thanks to Amazon's annoying habit of lumping reviews for a dozen different versions of a product together and attaching them to every version of the product, I was under the impression that this had the original monochrome film and the colourised version. Not so: all this contains is the colourised version, and absolutely nothing else. There has been added to the film a bland, uninformative and unnecessary introduction by Patrick MacNee, which looks like it was pirated on home video from an American tv broadcast. There is also a really intrusive logo for some sound company (who I would have thought would be better keeping quiet about their involvement in this travesty). The colourisation hasn't been done badly, just not especially well; in one scene Scrooge, who has been dark haired throughout, suddenly appears to have dyed his hair gingery-blond.

The picture quality, despite this being allegedly 'digitally restored and remastered' is very poor. There are frequent blemishes and even skips where the film is damaged. The only digital work done on this that I could see was the colour, which I could live without. The sound quality is equally bad, with a lot of hiss and fuzziness. At some points dialogue is barely comprehensible because of poor sound reproduction. I can honestly say I felt totally ripped off after paying some thirteen pounds for this shambles. I have remastered films from the 30s that have been rendered crystal clear in sound and picture, so it can be done - it's just that Renown Pictures haven't bothered to do anything at all with this. If you love Sim's version of Scrooge, don't buy this edition.
44 comments|26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 December 2014
I bought this as an alternative to the horribly coloured version the TV channels insist on showing each Christmas. The film is a true classic and looks so much better in black and white as intended. There is very little I need to say about the superb acting of Alastair Sim and the awesomely original story of Charles Dickens. A classic combination of the highest quality
on 8 December 2013
Excellent re-mastered film in colour as well very satisfied with your delivery and quality I have been after the film for a few years thanks.
on 14 February 2014
This is simply the best Christmas film possible, if they ever make a film that defeats this one I will eat my hat, the acting , the emotional feeling, the sadness and joy that causes one to be sucked into this film is wonderful , backed up by the great one and only ALASTAIR SIM who could ask for more.,
on 16 January 2013
It's the original b&w movie. Bought it because my other version was worn out! A lesson to all folk whether it's Christmas or not!Try to watch it every year with my son and any other kids who are interested.Sim is simply brilliant and the support cast are top drawer 'English" actors of the old school!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 7 December 2014
There has been a fair few versions of 'The Christmas Carol' even the 'Muppets' and the Smurf's have had ago and for me this version is the best ever made, you could say the best Christmas film ever, and Alastair Sim in my view is the best Scrooge, if not award winning.

I know a lot of people have complained about the DVD picture quality but for me this adds charm to the film, am not sure about the colour version, the only way to watch this film is in Black & White.

All in all a wonderful film, which needs to be seen on Christmas Eve.
review image
on 24 October 2013
I like this version of Scrooge (A Christmas Carol) the most. The acting is superb with Alastair Sim giving an excellent performance as the man himself with George Cole (Arthur Daley of Minder) as young Ebenezer Scrooge and Patrick Macnee (John Steed of the Avengers) as young Jacob Marley along with a cast of many great British stars. Well worth watching.
on 9 January 2014
i HAVE LOVED THIS FILM SINCE I SAW IT ON TV MANY YEARS AGO. AS AN ACTOR I THINK ALASTAIR SIM IS BRILLIANT! I WILL WATCH ANY FILM HE IS IN! I WATCH "SCROOGE" ANY TIME OF YEAR - NOT JUST CHRISTMAS! I FIND IT VERY ENTERTAINING AND TOTALLY BELIEVABLE. ITS THE SORT OF FILM I CAN "LOSE" MYSELF IN. I JUST LOVE IT!
on 25 January 2013
I was delighted with the quality of the DVD, despite the negative comments that others had written. The colouring was subtle and added to my enjoyment of the film. I have a copy of the original B&W version but I shall always watch this one in future. Service as usual was prompt and efficeint.
on 7 January 2015
This version of the classic film, in full but not overwhelming colour, is a great improvement on the original monochrome. But it has to be said that the threatening ghostly scenes were more frightening in black and white - the colour softensand warms the images slightly! Well worth buying