‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Discovered all over again, 1 Oct 2005
S. Hammond "Steve" (Frinton-On-Sea, Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Photo Finish (Audio CD)
My Dad had this on vinyl LP when it was originally released. I liked it then (even thought I was 6 years of age).
Then I flirted with dance music and rap, and pop as I grew up.
Started getting back into PROPER music when I took up the guitar, and was starting to buy on cd all those decent rock-albums my dad had previously had on LP.
I bought this one in the early part of the year...its now October, and it has not been out of my car, and now I am quickly purchasing all I can of Rory Gallagher's back catalogue.
This is one of his rockier albums, and I for one do not believe there is a bad track on here, including many different styles, from straight forward rock, to his more bluesy stuff, and his great slide guitar sound is also on here.
It's only since I have been playing guitar that I realised what an absolutely fantastic guitarist Rory was, had his own sound completely, and I now think I would recognise his sound anywhere.
My particular favourite on here is the first track "shin-kicker", but only just...too many great ones to really say for sure.
The rest of his band are playing tight, and its one album that benefits from really playing loud.
Its a shame that Rory is no longer with us, and I really wish I just could have been that bit older to have seen him perform live.
I am just glad I have discovered him now.
I can thouroughly recommend this cd, sounding a lot fresher than its 27 years of age. Shame a lot of todays music doesnt sound this good even after a year!
After you have bought this cd...I am sure you will (like me) want to find out more about Rory's music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock tinged with the blues, 19 July 2001
Richard Page (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Photo Finish (Audio CD)
As well as spawning two of what would become two of Rorys best live tracks "Shinkicker " & "Shadow Play", Photo Finish also reflects on the bluesmans ability to talk about pain. The agony of heartbreak in "Fuel to the Fire " is mirrored by the wails of the guitar in the song. My own favourite has always been "Overnight Bag" -" reflecting the price Rory had to pay for his constant touring - a sort of Highway Child for the 70's. What I also like is the obvious pleasure that he had in recording songs about things he liked - Cloak and Dagger is inspired by his love of 1950's/ 60's gangster films. He pays homage to early bluesmen in Mississipi Sheiks, another outstanding song. While it was great to hear the extra tracks, my only concern was that they possibly diluted what is an excellent album - but I'm just being picky - Photo Finish is an excellent introduction to the many layers that Rorys music has to offer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another side to the Bluesman, 8 Dec 2009
This review is from: Photo Finish (Audio CD)
1979- just 5 years after the incendiary Irish Tour.Rory G has decided to join, or has been nudged toward, the mainstream.This and its follow up and companion piece "Top Priority",along with In Concert TV appearances was the G-Man's foray into slightly more commercial territory.Heaven help us he even released an EP from this (on TEN INCH VINYL!!!)and later would release singles.So a sell-out then? Leaving his roots behind?

NAAAAHHHH!

This is great stuff, played with love and that rarely successful technique of making complicated intricate guitar work sound simple.

Shin Kicker plays like he's truly taking bends at speed on a high powered motorcycle,accelerating away and leaving the pretenders-literally and figuratively-in his wake.
Brute Force and Ignorance-about a rock n roll band that come to town, blow most of the townsfolk away and then leave 'em pining for more-is a romp, good humoured and very recognitive.
Shadow Play- ohhh a real classic this one.The guitar intro has now passed into legend as instantly recognisable, the soloing a masterclass of fretwork.
Overnight Bag is where this new found maturity reaches its absolute peak.It is beautiful,economic and very soulful,the guitar work soars and dives and there is not a note out of place, or too long, or that doesn't deserve to be there.
Gone was the youthful fire and "sparks coming from the fingers" of the old Rory, replaced by a wiser, more adult man who, but for the tragedy that was to befall him, could have been around for years just getting better with age.His Live act was still a wonder of the modern age-indeed he was untouchable at his best-but this was the beginning of a new Rory, one which sadly never stayed around long enough to show us how great he might have been.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still brilliant, 12 May 2012
Vixx H "vixx811" (Cannock, Staffs) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Photo Finish (Audio CD)
I loved Rory Gallagher when he was alive but I was a little too young to see him live or even to afford to buy his albums so being able to buy this on CD took me right back to my youth, when I used to sneak into my brothers bedroom and play his albums when he wasn't about, only now I can relax and enjoy the music without being yelled at. If you're an aging rocker or just an any age fan, get this CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars "...Feel The Heat Of The Fire...", 24 Sep 2012
Mark Barry "Mark Barry" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
*** THIS REVIEW IS FOR THE 2012 CD REISSUE ***

"Photo-Finish" is one of five new 2012 CD, Download and Vinyl reissues covering Rory Gallagher's 'studio' album period at Chrysalis Records between 1975 and 1979. His Polydor Label years were released in full in January 2012 (see list below). The next set of studio and live album reissues are due in early 2013 - all supervised by Donal Gallagher - his brother, tour manager and keeper of the flame.

So what's different? In a nutshell - cheaper price, restored artwork with upgraded packaging and 2012 remastering from the original tapes. Here are the finite details...

Released 24 September 2012 in the UK (9 October 2012 in the USA) - "Photo-Finish" is on Sony/Capo/Legacy 88725461462 and comes in a card digipak rather than a jewel case (50:11 minutes total playing time). The original vinyl album was released October 1978 in the UK and USA on Chrysalis CHR 1170 (it charted at number 116 in the States) and was his 3rd studio LP for the British label - continuing on from the blisteringly good run of "Against The Grain" in 1975 and "Calling Card" in 1976.

SOUND:
When "Photo-Finish" was first re-issued on CD by Da Capo in September 1998 - the tapes were remixed and remastered by Colin Failey and Tony Arnold - giving it a sound some found a little shrill. This time the original tapes have been returned to by ANDY PEARCE and MATT WORTHAM and remastered as 'untampered' versions in August 2012 at Wired Masters Studios in London. They've done a great job - the sound is very clear and muscular - still full of piss and vinegar for sure but less showy than before.

PACKAGING:
The foldout 3-way inlay of 1998 has been replaced with a 2012 12-page booklet that restores the original artwork. Donal Gallagher's song-by-song liner notes of old are reproduced again - but as well as colour photos - there's a new inclusion - David Fricke's article on the album in Circus Magazine from January 1979. The card digipak repros the lovely original album artwork (back and front), the CD itself is a picture disc and there's even a live photo beneath the see-through plastic tray. It looks the business and sounds great - and for fiver sterling - is a classy little reissue for not a lot of wonga.

MUSIC:
Co-produced with Alan O'Duffy - for the album the band remained a three-piece with Gerry McAvoy on Bass and Ted McKenna on Drums while Rory covered everything else - vocals, guitars, harmonica and mandolin. His double tracking of electric lead (which began with "Against The Grain") added extraordinary power to many songs - the guitar solo on "Brute Force & Ignorance" for instance is just blistering - and now remastered to its full sonic potential. "Cruise On Out" sees him lashing into a fast one - screaming as he launches into a typically finger-licking solo. The lone cover - the traditional Delta blues of "Mississippi Sheiks" is turned into a slow paced Johnny Winter number - great stuff. The same applies to the chugging ZZ Top production given to the bluesy "Fuel To The Fire" - drums, bass and guitars - all sounding just blinding now (lyrics from it title this review). The two studio outakes that came with the 1998 reissue are here again - the rocking "Early Warning" and the jaunty acoustic/harmonica "Juke Box Annie"- both excellent and actually warranting the word `bonus'. All in all - a bit of a belter really...

For many Rory's classic period was with Polydor Records in the early Seventies - and like so many fans - I adore those albums with a passion. But having just waded through all 5 of these 24 Sep 2012 reissues of his Chrysalis studio records - I'm absolutely blown-away by how good they are. While so many rock acts floundered (especially in the mid to late Seventies) - Rory just kept putting out one gem after another. If anything - I'm tempted to say that these albums are where his real genius lies. Playing back "Shin Kicker", "Cloak And Dagger" and "Last Of The Independents" is a rocking pleasure and not a nostalgia chore.

Like most Irishmen, I can't be rational about Rory Gallagher. I saw him and his band as a teenager live in Dublin in the early Seventies and the experience was mind-blowing (I'm actually in the audience at Dublin on Irish Tour '74). I then bought every album he ever put out after that and always looked forward to hearing where his flying fingers would take me next.

Rory was sadly lost to us in 1995 through liver failure - and it still hurts to think that this most unassuming and brilliant of guitar heroes is gone. "Photo-Finish" is a great way to remember him - and frankly the other 4 titles in this 2nd phase are pretty much the same.

I'm off now to watch some YouTube footage of Rory doing "Pistol Slapper Blues" on Ireland's "RTE" in 1977 - making absolute mincemeat of a beautiful National Steel guitar. I'll follow that with him rocking up Muddy Waters' "I'm Ready" with Jack Bruce on Bass (of Cream) and Mark Feltham on Harmonica (of Nine Below Zero). God I miss him...

PS: the titles in this 2011/2012 CD, Download and LP reissue series so far are:
1. "Rory Gallagher" (originally UK released in May 1971) - REVIEWED
2. "Deuce" (November 1971) - REVIEWED
3. "Live! In Europe" (May 1972)
4. "Blueprint" (February 1973)
5. "Tattoo" (November 1973) - REVIEWED
6. "Irish Tour '74" (July 1974) [2LP set on 1CD - Sides 1 to 3 are Live - Side 4 is Studio Jams]

7. "Against The Grain" (October 1975) - REVIEWED
8. "Calling Card" (August 1976) - REVIEWED
9. "Photo-Finish" (October 1978) - REVIEWED
10. "Top Priority" (September 1979) - REVIEWED
11. "Jinx" (April 1982) - REVIEWED

1 to 6 released January 2012 on CD and Download. 180-gram vinyl versions of each were also made available 27 February 2012 on the "Music On Vinyl" Label

7 to 11 released September 2012 on CD and Download. Limited Edition 180-gram vinyl versions of each will be made available 22 October 2012 on the "Music On Vinyl" Label

5.0 out of 5 stars What more can I say?, 26 July 2012
Ivan rubinic (Island Hvar,Croatia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Photo Finish (Audio CD)
Ovo je prvi album i kontakt s Gallagherom!Davno bilo i ostalo!Od tada ja sam zaludjen njegovom glazbom!Pomalo podcjenjen od nekih i to nepravedno!Rory je bio covjek ljudi,s dusom,njegova glazba govori vise nego on sam i on je legenda!Pokretac i snaga u mom zivotu!HVALA! P.S. R.I.P.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 July 2014
Enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Photo Finish - Rory Gallagher, 12 May 2014
This review is from: Photo Finish (Audio CD)
An amazing album... Really raucous and very raspy guitar lines... This has to be played loud in order to fully appreciate how masterful this man was..... Masterpiece.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, 18 April 2014
This review is from: Photo Finish (Audio CD)
This is Rory Gallagher's best LP in my opinion. More commercial than a lot of his stuff which is probably why I like it so much. Some truly great tracks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Photo Finish, 10 Feb 2014
D. J. Wilden "denise7248" (Maidenhead, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Photo Finish (Audio CD)
Its Rory Gallagher, its brilliant, I can't praise this man highly enough, I have all his CD's and listen to them almost constantly, I haven't heard a bad song, haven't heard anything I don't like, I only "discovered" Rory in April 2012 and am now most firmly and irrevocably hooked. The man was a genius, taken much much too soon. No two songs are the same, they can't be pigeonholed as from a certain year or even decade, there are surprises on every album. If you like Rock/blues/acoustic/bit of jazz - then buy Photo Finish, buy anything by Rory and enjoy - especially LOUD, magic, brilliant, awesome, wonderful

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›