Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great album
Published 22 months ago by Rawrz

3.0 out of 5 stars Odd mix of juvenilia and worthwhile mature pop
this is a bit of a thing of shreds and patches.
Published 13 days ago by Terrahurtz

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great album, 5 Nov 2012
This review is from: Red (Audio CD)
I've been eagerly anticipating this album ever since Taylor dropped the amazing Speak Now. When talking about this album Taylor described it as a collaborative effort unlike Speak Now which was very internal (she wrote every song alone without co-writers and co-produced every song). She worked with a lot of new people on this album including Max Martin (pops biggest producer who's worked with many huge pop stars such as Britney Spears and Ke$ha), Butch Walker (a rock singer but he's produced for pop artists such as Avril Lavigne (My Happy Ending) and Katy Perry (Thinking Of You)) not to mention collaborating with newcomer Ed Sheeran and Snow Patrol's Gary Lightbody. Despite this she wrote 9 songs alone.

Anyway getting back to the point this album see's Taylor experiment with a lot of new sound from the Dubstep influence I Knew You Were Trouble to the U2 inspired State Of Grace. This was a risky move but it paid off. The catchy bubblegum tracks like the hit single We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together and 22 are completely irresistible. State Of Grace is an incredible track and a perfect opener. Despite what the lead single may have you believe a lot of these songs are quite slow such as the introspective Treacherous, the incredible All Too Well which produced some of the best lyrics she's ever wrote and several more. There are some more pop songs on the album such as Red and Starlight which are 2 of the albums strongest tracks. Red is a guitar based pop song using colours as a metaphor for emotion and Starlight is an incredible synth based pop songs which is infectious but it still has great lyrics telling of an adventure she had with a boy aged 17. It's like Enchanted funner sister. Both the collaborations are very good. The Last Time featuring Gary Lightbody is a dark song reminiscent of Safe and Sound that is haunting and has some of Taylor's best vocals yet. Everything Has Changed featuring Ed Sheeran is an uptempo number that will have you bopping along. There's still some songs for fans who prefer Taylor's country stuff such as the beautiful ballad Begin Again and the fun up-tempo Stay Stay Stay.

These are my thoughts on each track

State Of Grace-10/10 A great opener inspired by U2. Taylor sings about how love should be over epic guitars

Red-10/10 This is the catchiest song on the album. I like how it compares colours to emotions. It's a great pop-rock song with clever lyrics.

Treacherous-8/10 This is a slower song and is beautiful. You can see how much Taylor has grown as a writer on this album.

I Knew You Were Trouble-10/10 I never thought Taylor could pull off dubstep but this song is amazing. It's catchy, has good lyrics and is just a great bop.

All Too Well-10/10 This is one of my favourite tracks. It's a beautiful song with some of Taylor's best lyrics yet. My favourite part is "Hey you called me up again just to break me like a promise, So casually cruel in the name of being honest
I'm a crumbled up piece of paper lying here, Cause I remember it all all all too well"

22-9/10 This is a really fun song celebrating the complications of being young and confused

I Almost Do-8/10 This is a slower song where Taylor contemplates about a former lover and how she almost goes to contact him but never quite manages.

We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together-8/10 This is the ultra poppy ultra fun lead single. While it's not her best song it's still a fun jam and is greater to dance around and be silly too.

Stay Stay Stay-8/10 This is another fun country song telling a story about an ex-boyfriend

The Last Time-9/10 This is a dark track featuring Gary Lightbody of Snow Patrol. It's like hearing 2 sides of the same story from Taylor and Gary. Taylor's voice is amazing on this as well.

Holy Ground-7/10 This is probably the weakest song on the album but still enjoyable and the drums are great in this song.

Sad Beautiful Tragic-8/10 This is a beautiful ballad reflecting on a relationship and everything that came with it.

The Lucky One-10/10 This is a great song where Taylor talks about the Perils of fame praising an artist (rumored to be Joni Mitchell) for getting out before it became to consuming.

Everything Has Changed-9/10This is a great guitar based track featuring Ed Sheeran. It's a really sweet song and is really catchy.

Starlight-10/10 This is an amazing synth based pop song where Taylor's tells about an adventure she had as a teen. It's one of my favourites on the album and is irresistible.

Begin Again-10/10 This is a perfect end to the album. This is a beautiful very personal country ballad where Taylor says about how she starts to fall in love again after a turbulent relationship.

3.0 out of 5 stars Odd mix of juvenilia and worthwhile mature pop, 18 Aug 2014
Terrahurtz (Kidlington, Oxon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Red (Audio CD)
this is a bit of a thing of shreds and patches.
I bought this CD for my daughter, who loves the singles off it. I had assumed, given the nasal delivery, brattish mannerisms and juvenile content of these tracks, that Ms Swift was an 18 year old in the vein of, say, early Britney. It was therefore something of a surprise to discover that she is in fact (in musical terms) an experienced pro. In fairness to her, several other tracks bear this out. Swift has a good voice and, when used normally on some decent material, the results are quite enjoyable. She also has a third voice - when she sings low, she sounds just like Suzanne Vega.
Overall, not a bad album, personal favourites being Track 5 and the duet with the guy from snow patrol, but this is despite '22' and 'we are never ever getting back together', not because of them. My 10 year old daughter loves this album, but will insist on playing what I consider to be the worst tracks all the time!

5.0 out of 5 stars RED, 25 Nov 2012
This review is from: Red (Audio CD)
Firstly, if you don't own Red yet then I highly recommend you buy it, you certainly won't regret it. I own every album that Taylor Swift has ever released and she has never disappointed me. Each album Taylor releases shows just how much her amazing skill have grown, her voice on Red is the best that it has ever been so far, her song-writing skills just keep getting better and better, her ability to tell her story of heartbreak through her lyrics will honestly blow your mind and she has managed to pull off experimenting with different sounds for Red without making the album seem all over the place and confused in direction. There isn't a single song that I dislike on this album and each song I can listen to repeatedly without getting bored. I am really looking forward to Taylor's next album.

Top 5 Standout Tracks: State Of Grace, Treacherous, All Too Well, 22, I Almost Do.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not her usual style...., 1 Dec 2012
N. J. H. (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Red (Audio CD)
I'd heard about Taylor's new album via the Ellen Degeneres show when she performed a couple of the new songs live. After having heard "Red", "We are never ever getting back together" and "Begin again" I was hooked. BUT THEN, I heard that she'd also spread her wings quite a bit with this new album and added some really amazingly talented musicians to duet with to her album including Ed Sheeran and Gary Lightbody from Snow Patrol. Wow.

So the "standard" album differs from the deluxe version in that it doesn't feature a couple of songs (as you'd expect). Actually it's quite a few songs, but most are just acoustic duplicates. The songs you'll gain from the deluxe version are, "The moment I knew", "Come back...be here" and "Girl at home" with acoustic versions or the original demo versions of "Treacherous", "Red" and "State of Grace". Do I think, having bought the deluxe version, that you'd be missing out on much without these added little extras? Yes. I really REALLY do. The demos and acoustics aren't such a big deal, but are a nice addition, but the three additional songs are wonderful - some of my favourites from the album infact. So invest in the deluxe if you can!

So here are the songs and a tiny insight into their sound:

-State of Grace: An upbeat, uplifting song that I really liked. It's not what I would call country, it's definitely more pop, but it still has her little twist to it and you can't help but sing along.

-Red: This is a typical, catchy, well-thought-out, lyrical masterpiece of Taylor's. You know how she just manages to add a little bit of humour here and there? Like with "Speak now", it's kind of like that. Very catchy with a hint of country. My favourite of the album.

-Treacherous: I loved the meaning behind these lyrics. It's slower, verging on ballady, but it's lovely. A hint of country, but not as obvious as her usual stuff which is nice for variation and shows her talent.

-I knew you were trouble: So country, so catchy and SO much fun. This is a fantastic addition because it's actually lyrically really powerful - it reminds me hugely of "Should have said no" in it's meaning.

-All too well: A country ballad. Typical Taylor, a pretty song with deep meaning.

-22: This for me is the lapse in the album. It's upbeat and fun but it's actually quite annoying. I end up skipping it and I NEVER do that with her songs.

-I almost do: Another country ballad I was glad to have. I don't know how she does it but her lyrics are just so brilliantly emotional. She manages to actually convey pain pretty effectively through her tone and I thought that was demonstrated particularly well with this song.

-We are never ever getting back together: You know what, when I first heard this and it's pop feel I thought "Oh no, what has she done to?!", but it grows on you. Quickly. It's catchy and fun. It started off right down the bottom for me and now is one of my most played from the album. You'll learn to love it!

-Stay Stay Stay: This is an upbeat, fun, country song. It reminds me of her very first album with all of the catchy, slightly cheesy songs we all pretended not to like but secretly played repeatedly behind closed doors. It's fab. Reminds me of "I'd lie".

-The last time: This is the duet with Gary Lightbody. It reminds me of Lady Antebellum's work so if you like them, and Taylor, then you'll love this. It's a balladic song which I think was intended to demonstrate some real, raw emotion. Their voices merge ridiculously well and I was so impressed with this song. It's beautiful. I hope she does more duets in the future.

-Holy ground: This is a slow-ish song with a new feel to it. It's not one which I play too often, but I do like it and it's definitely a different side to her voice that I liked.

-Sad beautiful tragic: For me, this was just TOO slow. I do like her ballads usually, often more than the upbeat, catchy ones. But I actually just find this depressing and a bit boring. There always has to be one I suppose. Maybe it will grow on me.

-The lucky one: This one's great. A nice insight into what it must be like to be a celebrity. I liked the message and I love the sound.

-Everything has changed: This is the duet with Ed Sheeran. A slow-ish ballad with GREAT lyrics. I don't think I need to say more. Ed Sheeran people!!

-Starlight: This is on the same level as "22". It sounds similar and is a tiny bit irritating. I like it in small doses. I'd describe it as lacking in maturity in comparison to her other songs on this album.

-Begin Again: I like this one. A pretty ballady sound with an interesting message.

And from the deluxe:

-The moment I knew: You've got to love a good piano in her songs. Wow. Really pretty and sad. Kind of like "Back to December" I'd say.
-Come back...be here: Nice country ballad with a lot of variation in her voice. This isn't to be missed. Get the deluxe just for this one.
-Girl at home: Upbeat with fun lyrics. I like how she's really used her voice in lots of different ways.

So overall, a new take on an already well established talent. Taylor can sing, yes, but her lyrics are what really sell this album for me. And the duets are INCREDIBLE.

As a side note: If you're a massive Taylor fan, I mentioned earlier about the Ellen Degeneres show and Taylor performing. Be sure to check out an interview she's done alongside Zac Efron where they're singing a duet! It's hilariously funny and appears to be totally unrehearsed. Had me in stitches.

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing sound, 7 Nov 2012
MyKeyReviews (Hampshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Red (Audio CD)
It's been two years since her last album Speak Now which had a new sound whilst keeping the feeling your listening to the artist you loved since her first release, I was a little worried whether or not she would be able to up her performance in this new album, and I can assure you she has.

This album has an awesome mix of different styled tunes, for example if you listen to 'State of Grace', 'Treacherous', 'I Knew You Were Trouble.', 'All Too Well' & 'We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together', just to name a few, you will realise that sound completely different. There are quite a lot of bands & artists who have albums which most of the songs sound very similar to others, and Taylor manages to give you a different feel for each song you listen too.

One thing that has pleased me is that a few of my friends had reluctantly admitted to me that have enjoyed one or two of her new songs, not that it bothered me too much of the quite frequent digs I get for appreciating her music(I know they're in denial ;)), however it's a nice change to hear something positive about an artist you enjoy listening too.

Overall, it's a pretty solid album which I would highly recommend to those who are into pop/country type genre, and especially to those Swift fans out there, however I'm sure you already own it if you are. ;)

Those who want to hear some previews before you buy then go to 'Taylor Swift - Red' MP3 download, click on the samples and have a little taster of what the album has to offer.

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid country/pop cross over, Sheryl meets Shania., 4 Jan 2014
This review is from: Red (MP3 Download)
Very much a Sheryl Crow meets Shania Twain, a solid example of a modern country / pop cross over album that has topped the US country and Pop charts, the UK charts and generally has been a top seller world wide since its release in 2012.

Taylor's voice is like Sheryl's but with a more angelic element to it.

I bought this to get a more up-to-date take on country after a recent Johnny Cash splurge and was not disappointed.

I like the combination of the electro-acoustic guitars with strong beat. All the tracks are pretty good.

For me there isn't really a single with a wow factor like we had from Shania with the likes of "That Don't Impress Me Much" and so on. This is possibly a weakness which may mean that I might not play it quite as often as the album merits.

The biggest single in the UK at least is "I Knew You Were Trouble" which reached No.2.

I however prefer "22", which reached No.9.

Other tracks of note are "State Of Grace" once it gets going, "Stay Stay Stay" and also "Everything Has Changed", the latter being a No. 7 single in the UK, featuring Ed Sheeran, which is a nicely balanced balled with a good acoustic guitar rhythm.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE it!, 29 May 2013
This review is from: Red (Audio CD)
I am not at all embarrassed to say that I am edging on 36 and I love Taylor Swift!!

Her songs are so catchy - put me in a really good mood and I love listening to her brilliant voice!!

Definitely have the CD in the car if I have a long journey to do as keeps me going!!

Had not heard the Stay, Stay, Stay track and I love that one (even my husband does too and he would never admit to being a TS fan!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best one yet!, 22 Oct 2012
Benson (Cardiff, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Red (Audio CD)
I was actually blown away by how good this fourth album from Taylor Swift is. I can quite easily listen to it from start to finish without track skipping and that is rather a rare occurrence for me. It fluctuates from toe tapping, head bobbingly catchy to delightfully peaceful and thought provoking to at other times, completely danceable.

Musically, there is a logical growth from `Speak Now'. On that third album Taylor started to play with a more pop influenced sound. `Red' goes in that direction a little bit more without wandering completely away from those country tinged acoustic numbers we like to hear. However, instrumentally I hear a lot more rock and pop influence than previous albums. At times the production rather reminded me of Avril Lavigne back in the days she was churning out acoustic guitar lead pop rock anthems.

Max Martin is involved on a few tracks this time around (perhaps most famously known for being the guy behind a whole host of Britney hits including `Baby One More Time') and he makes a rather great team with Taylor and `Shellback', evident in the already massive single `We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together' and the equally as infectious `I Knew You Were Trouble' and '22'. Other than that the majority of the tracks (as previous albums) are credited to Taylor Swift as a singular songwriter.

If catchy is what you like that continues in the ridiculously cute `Stay Stay Stay', one of those songs along the lines of `Mean' you can't help but hum. I'm sure Ed Sheeran will be a talking point of this album and as it goes he is a rather great choice of collaboration. While this track is perhaps not essential to the album, it was co-written together and is the kind of acoustic gem you would expect from two artists leading the singer/songwriter genre. I feel like this track might've lacked depth without Ed Sheeran's harmonies though.

My favourite thing about Taylor Swift is how she takes a simple scenario and turns it into a song that is beautifully peaceful yet tragically sad at the same time. If you loved `Enchanted' or `Last Kiss' from Speak Now there are songs here like `Treacherous', `The Lucky One' and `Begin Again', all capturing that awe inspiring feeling that is hard to put into words.

As Taylor points out herself in the linear notes, this album relates to the poem by Neruda that makes a point that `love is so short, forgetting is so long'. If you relish on moments of `newfound hope, extreme joy, intense passion, wishful thinking and the unthinkable letdown' you will love everything about this album and want to share it with others who think like you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Am I The Only One Who's Disappointed?, 1 Nov 2012
Chloooeeeee :) (Chester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Red (Audio CD)
I've been a Swiftie since I heard 'Lovestory' and I was so hyped up about the release of 'Speak Now' in 2010 and even more hyped up this year about the release of 'Red'. I thought, this is Taylor, she'll bring out an amazing album.
And honestly? I'm disappointed; so disappointed. The album in general is a let down for me; I expected better from her. The album is too much of a mix of different genres. I hope her next album is better and she does it the normal way, that's how she does it best. Speak Now was absolutely brilliant, because it was all her, but Red has too many outside influences, which is what's let it down, I think and too much production.The songs I do like though, are State Of Grace, Red, I Knew You Were Trouble, 22, Starlight, All Too Well, I Almost Do and Begin Again. In all fairness, I think the bonus songs are better than some of the songs on the standard edition.
Overall, it's a 'meh' album.
I know I sound like a hater, or a biased fan and that the album must be brilliant because it sold 1.4 million copies in the first week, but that's because she sold out; she went mainstream :'(

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit too American teen-angst, 6 Feb 2014
This review is from: Red (Audio CD)
This album is good in certain points - Last Time with Gary Peabody is an excellent song, much more mature than anything else Swift has done to date, and by rights this song should be a big hit for her.

However, the rest of the album left me feeling a bit neutral. Even the hit song Trouble didn't really do it for me. And while We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together has a catchy chorus, it sounds like something Hannah Montana would sing. The spoken parts and the whole vibe of the song bring to mind an angsty, trying-to-be-supercool US teen in high school, prattling on to her friends about how, like, she is never, like, getting back with this boy!

Apart from Last Time, the whole album was a bit American teen-angst for me, which is surprising as Swift is way past her teengae years. It's definitely her best album to date, but it gives you the feeling that, like Bieber, Swift lives in her own world, full of record company execs telling her how brilliant she is at what she does and how she shouldn't ever change it. Unfortunately, she really does need to change - to write some more mature songs and break out of the girlfriend/boyfriend songs into detailing more mature realtionships. If she doesn't, she'll find herself left behind, which is a shame because she has potential.

This album also shows up the weakness in her somtimes reedy vocals. Taylor Swift is not a great singer, but then she's not a terrifically bad one either. But overall this album inhabits the same bubble of US Teen World, along with bubblegum, the Olsen Twins, Justin Bieber, US High School, and, like, first-time love.

Red
Red by Taylor Swift (Audio CD - 2012)