Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 1 May 2016
I must question the casting of Ray Winston as Regan. It's hard to find the sexual attraction so obviously felt by one of his colleagues when seeing his ample figure, trousers down but socks on kneeling over the attractive young woman. I like Ray Winston but saddling a horse came to mind whilst viewing this scene.
The action is so full of obvious things that simply would not happen today like the running gun battle through London after a bank job where members of the public are as much in the line of fire as the police and villains. The police today even have to stop a car chase if it is thought to put the public at too much risk.
Yes I know it's a film and therefore has some artistic licence but when Regan is released from jail with no explanation as to what has brought his release about it Is stretching things too far.
A lot of gratuitous violence without a clever plot or characters you can invest in. The Sweeney would turn in their collective graves at this poor tribute to some wonderful characters of the 1970's police department.
on 29 April 2014
Overall, it's terrible. A career worst performance from Winstone, who just mails in his standard tough cockney persona and says some lines. Hayley Atwell - so good in many things is completely wasted and even worse has to do love scenes with her grandad, sorry, Ray Winstone. Damien Lewis, another great actor is also wasted. Avoid it. Watch any other recent crime drama with decent actors in and it'll be better than this rubbish.
on 6 August 2013
If Top Gear's Clarkson, May and Richard (the hamsters) Hamonde (he's not a real hamster is he?) Were allowed to make a film this would be the result. It's certainly pitched at a very specific audience. It doesn't work for me at all. Also I actually think the Top Gear guys did make a bit of it!?. This is the kind of film you might enjoy if you like simple or no storytelling and just want to have beer and need something to watch cause there's no sport on the TV. It has a place but I prefer films with better production values and have a real point to it. To sum the story line up bad guys swear the cops are all tough drunk mavericks and there's some eye candy. Cops come down too hard on the criminals and loose the warrent cards. Cops still go on being cops regardless. Police complaints hate the cops. Chase scene with cops and bad guys in a caravan park. Bad guys die THE END. Just watch it, if you've bothered to read some reviews you might as well waste another two hours.
on 25 March 2014
I recall the original TV series, saw a few episodes and remember watching the film on VHS, but I'm not reviewing this as a fan, upset at what has been done to it, I'm reviewing it as someone who wants to pour bleach into their eyes and drink enough to expunge it completely from their memory

Nick Love makes films that seem to be based on watching 8 year old boys, out playing with their mates. This was right up there in terms of that amount of realism. A very lazy “plot”, (not sure it even qualifies as one), appalling clichéd script and ridiculous over the top action. I can only imagine the brief was “Make everything look cool”, and then the meeting ended

The idea on Hayley Atwell having sex with Ray Winstone was the most unbelievable part of it all and made me sick in my mouth.
I can’t give a -5 Star review, so it gets +1 Star and that is only because it doesn’t have Danny Dyer in it

A vacuous, soulless empty husk of a film… enjoy
on 17 January 2015
Been watching this on Channel 4...utter crap...sooooo bad....had to stop watching way before the end....all the acting is awful, the chief culprit being Winstone....does he never get bored playing the same hackneyed cockney geezer over and over again?....watching him at it quite a few of us certainly do....being a working-class londoner I find I find this cliche-ridden type of acting doubly annoying....save your money.
VINE VOICEon 26 September 2015
Cor blimey guv, it's that rubbish TV series updated from the 1970s to an even worse film than you thought it was possible to make. They've chucked every cliche in the book at this one and it's so bad it will have your jaw dropping in amazement. Ultimate screen heavy Ray Winstone is probably at his over the top best, but his Reagan is unlikeable, and paired with Ben Drew, who couldn't act his way out of a paper bag, their take on Reagan and Carter is risible. Damian Lewis is completely wasted in his role as hapless chief Haskins, who stands no chance of controlling his maverick squad of SweeneyTodd rogues who look more like crooks than the crooks do. And what is Steven Macintosh doing in this rubbish? Not much of note is the honest answer. The one star reviewers are spot on here, this is complete garbage. Mindless, violent dross that has about as much relevance to the original series as Miss Marple does to the policing techniques of the 21st century.
on 30 January 2013
As a fan of the original TV series, I looked forward to the release of this movie, however, having needlessly p*ssed a couple of hours of my life away watching this dire offering, the only advice I can give is that given by the Why Don't You Gang, "Just Switch Off Your Television Set And Go Out And Do Something Less Boring Instead".

I just wish amazon would allow a zero star rating.

The film doesn't work on any level. Anyone with even a superficial knowledge of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act will find the lack of attention to police procedure laughable. The whole point of the original series was that, pre-PACE, you could quite easily imagine the real life Flying Squad operating like their TV counterparts.

Fast forward 35 years to the era of the IPCC and it's hard to imagine Ray Winstone's incarnation of Jack Regan going anywhere fast, except possibly the Scrubs for a touch of man love in the showers.

Ok, so this is intended to be entertainment, not some kind of fly-on-the-wall police documentary, but it doesn't even fulfil that role.

If only Ben Drew would stick to the music, rather than repeatedly demonstrating his manifest lack of any discernable acting talent.

I'm left stratching my head to understand why Damian Lewis, fresh from his success with Homeland, would blot his copybook with this tripe.

Even Winstone fails to impress in the central role. I could almost hear John Thaw turning in his grave as the film stumbled towards its car crash conclusion in more ways than one.

I'm off to do something more constructive with my time such as tidying my sock draw....you slag!
on 7 July 2015
I was so looking forward to watching this film. I thought that the remake had potential but sadly it was a big disappointment.
Winstone who I love as an actor and who's been in some fabulous movies was out of place or was directed in the wrong way.
Whatever it was this movie is a huge let down, I wouldn't even use the disk as a coaster.
on 4 November 2015
It's an utter travesty to call this rubbish Sweeney, If I had to give marks out of a 100 for this I would give it 1, whatever possesses them to try to copy the original series (which was brilliant) is beyond me. It is just a lot of nonsense with the use of the F word in practically every sentence spoken!
Don't waste your money.
on 26 August 2013
As a fan of the original Sweeney series, I was keen to watch the new film. However I have to say it bears no resemblance to the original series.

The only similarity is by the names of the characters only. The "new" Jack Regan is not like the "old" Jack Regan. I know we are taking about two different actors, but the Winstone doesn't get close to Thaw. Perhaps this was the intention from the new writers. The same can be said for 'Carter'.

There is much more violence in the film compared to the old one, and there is also a sex scene at the beginning (featuring Winstone), and whilst we know Regan has an eye for the ladies, and you often saw him in bed with a woman in the old Sweeney after the act - we never saw actual sex scenes in the original series.

Overall, it has to be said that the film has been tailored for the modern audience with the level of violence which for some reason the modern viewer seems to thrive off.

Personally I much prefer the old Sweeney, and even the production and camera angles and direction of the old series are preferable to me, and it was filmed over 30 years earlier.