Contour +2 HD Handsfree Action Camera
Price:£249.00+Free shipping

Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I fitted a 16 GByte memory card as the 4 GB supplied seemed too small and would limit recording time. The camera was charged overnight using the supplied cable.

I downloaded an app onto my Samsung Galaxy tablet that easily connected to the Contour camera. This enabled me to view the picture, set the horizon, change settings and start or stop recording. It was simple to set up, and because of the built in laser level, it is easy to align. The lens is adjustable so that even if mounted on its side, a simple twist gets the horizon level.

After a days fun, I returned home and the camera was connected to my conputer using the USB cable (which is also the charging lead) and I was able to view the recordings using the Contour Story teller software.

The camera has built in GPS and its possible to view your route, speed and height.

Because the camera is water resistant, there is no need to worry about light rain. A case is supplied for diving down to 60 metres but this dramatically reduces the sound volume. With the case on, the camera actually floats!

I have not used the mounts supplied but bought the multi-purpose flex strap which is overpriced, be warned. This strap allows the camera to be securely mounted to various parts of a bike, frame, handlebars or goggle strap.

I shot video at 720 resolution, 60 frames a second and also 1020 resolution at 30 frames a second. I prefer the 720 setting as the highr frame rate improves and suppresses any movement or vibration. There is also a slow motion setting.

Picture quality is great, playing back on a 55" TV.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
First of all I would like to point out that unfortunately Contour closed it's doors in August 2013. Their "presence" in CES 2014 still showcased the old 2012 cameras, so it does not seem that the company is operating yet. I do hope they will be back in business in the near future. Yet as consumers we should take this fact into account, as it means that there will be no support or firmware upgrades.

No doubt, this is a great camera. I have used it for a brief period and have got some outstanding video footage, and arguably the best I've ever seen from any manufacturer. Yet with the competition offering similar spec cameras I do feel that this camera is too expensive ... at least in Europe.

One has to question why we should pay twice the amount of the "new" suggested retail price in the US! "New" to a certain extent, as the price has dropped by 50% over a year ago. The answer is probably partially due to the unfortunate facts I mentioned earlier.

This model is over 2 years old now, and even though it offers some useful unique features like the front physical rotation ring and a laser to align the camera (useful for helmet mount), many other brands are offering the same bullet design and great image quality. Some have gone even further and offer a waterproof design with no need for a case. This camera requires the use of the supplied waterproof case.

As far as video footage goes I think it still is one of the best, yet the still pictures disappoint. And whilst the camera can take dedicated removable batteries, the battery life is a bit of a letdown. Add GPS and bluetooth to that, and the battery drains very fast!!

I do have a number of sports cameras, including the GoPro 2, Rush, and the very cheap TCL SVC 200 and whilst the video quality is not as good as the Contour, I simply cannot justify the price difference.

So I have to rate this product 3.5 stars due to the following cons: Company out of business, price, photo quality, battery life and the couple of mounts included (both of which have adhesive tape)

If you are ready to live with these shortcomings, than this might be the camera for you. As for me, I'd look elsewhere.
on 10 December 2013
Awesome little camera, the GPS features are very nice, and the integration with the mobile app as a viewfinder is spot on.

Only criticisms I could levy against it are that it's a little weighty on the side of a bike helmet, meaning you have to tighten the helmet strap up pretty tightly to stop it from being pulled down, and the microphone is fairly poor especially in the wind. Still utterly no regrets in getting it though, it's great.
on 23 September 2014
I normally use my Contour 2+ connected to my maker though the picatinny mount in order to record the game. The Camera has an excellent design. It looks striking and neat when attached to my gear. I even fitted with my helmet as well.

While using, I am able to rotate the lens with support from the laser line to meet my requirement. Additionally, I felt much more comfortable with my marker using Contour due to the reducing in weight and size of the camera compared with others. The record is pretty awesome - a crystal clear high quality image with wide angle. I was very impressed. It was also very easily to use by just sliding the top button to start filming. The battery performance was quite good as well. It is replaceable so I can swap new batteries and continue the game very easily. The Contour 2+ also has Connectview card installed so I can adjust the lens using live image from my iPhone. Sometimes, I use it this feature as my third eye. By using that trick, I can find other players without being noticed which is very cool. My whole team loves it because of that.

Overall, the camera did its job very well and I love the videos. If you are looking for a camera for your helmet or paintball marker, then trust me. Contour is the one you must have!
on 6 February 2013
I was so excited to take delivery of this camera (and I really don't get excited about much these days, believe me) and spent many hours stroking it and reading the instructions. I hadn't been too bothered about the GPS feature but IT IS A SUPERB IDEA. Imagine watching a video of yourself flying along on your skis/snowboard/mountain bike etc. AND HAVING THE SPEED DISPLAYED NEXT TO IT!! HOW COOL IS THAT?? I downloaded Contour Connect from Google Play (free of charge) and the camera immediately connected to my Galaxy S2 via bluetooth. A real time image was displayed on my phone's screen and I could start and stop recording from the phone. AMAZING! I loved it and knew I had made the right choice. Had I? Well, not for me, no.

Unfortunately the camera is NOT WATERPROOF unlike the much cheaper Roam2. It's 'weather resistant' and Contour support said that, as a rule of thumb, if you can see water in the grooves and joints then you should put the camera in the waterproof case provided with the camera (which is waterproof to 60 metres). Unfortunately this virtually quadruples the size of the camera which is unacceptable for my purposes. The naked camera would be ok for snowsports I suppose, which is what prompted me to buy the thing in the first place, but I would mainly use it on my bike in the UK, where it rains a lot. So no good.

Why, Contour, why? Why could you not make the camera itself waterproof down to 1 metre like the Roam2? I have sent the camera back to Amazon and plan to purchase the Roam2 as a replacement, but I am gutted that I will have to do without the GPS/bluetooth functions.

AND ANOTHER THING. A good selection of mounts should be included with the cameras, never mind £17 for this mount, £25 for that mount etc. The cameras should AT LEAST come with a headband mount. With the profile mount and surface mount that came with the camera I couldn't actually wear it. So I had no choice but to purchase a headband mount for SEVENTEEN QUID. Cheers.

Anyway, despite my bitter disappointments, I have only dropped one star. Contour customer support was swift and friendly and I really like the Storyteller program that Contour provide (free of charge).
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 1 February 2015
I've just used mine on a ski hol to Italy and the battery plus the spare i bought lasted almost 2hrs. Which considering the temperature was -15 is pretty good. All batteries have a shorter life in cold temperatures. The camera stopped working when the memory card was full, however when i put a new card in and formatted it, the camera worked again. I'm not sure that this is a fault but the camera worked fine all week. I down loaded the app on my phone (samsung ace3) and once synched have had no trouble viewing and controlling the camera via blue tooth. Once synched you only have to press the cameras blue tooth button once to link to your phone.
Even though the camera is not waterproof just weather resistent (an unbelievable oversight by Contour considering the cheaper Roam2 is waterproof to 1m, this is supposed to be a flagship model) it did survive being covered in snow 2 days in a row, i didn't use the waterproof case it does add extra weight.I think the camera is excellent and the footage is bright and clear. The sound quality is not good in high winds and moving fast, but is good enough in still weather.
All in all i'm very happy with this camera, i just have to find the time to start editing the footage.
on 23 August 2014
Awful, instructions are dire, but then again its supposed to be simple.
Will record for short periods but anything longer and the whole unit locks up when it is turned off. The only way to use it again is to remove the battery and push it back in. I am pretty sure it is a fault with the 3+gb limit on the SD card instead of starting a new file it just locks up. The worst thing is AFTER I got it I read about it on the internet and not before.
Return request sent, for the price it should have been at least useable.

Ok I am going to edit the review and add 3 stars at least partly on faith. I had tried the firmware update and it did not change, however the instructions are at least a little wrong. I tried it again and again the third time I think it is fixed. I say think because in reality I do not often go over the 3.8GB file size it locked up on.
Other than this "fault" it was always a fine product and the response privately from Planet Gizmo gains it four stars. If they make a way of updating a little less like the 1980`s CD writers it would have got the whole five.
on 30 November 2014
BRILLIANT camera, especially with the use of bluetooth where you can see what you your viewing from a distance on smart phone. i have already recommended this camera to 4 of my work mates, and they also said that they will be buying this camera.i i use this for scuba diving and and the results are just BRILLIANT. ALSO I USE THIS FOR WHEN I GO SKIING. ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC.
on 14 October 2012
People expect different things from a helmet cam, so my review is judging this camera based on my specific expectation rather than a general review.

Of course, primarily, I wanted good quality video footage and I think this camera takes decent video at the various settings and I won't bother going into the details, you can see that on youtube. HOWEVER, I don't think it takes better footage than the current leading cam on the market, the goproHD 2, which is significantly older and much cheaper, has a huge fan base etc....

I've also been waiting for good GPS integration (which the gopro does not offer), and I think the contour 2 does that very well indeed. Lock on is quick and accurate.

HOWEVER, the PC software which you need to edit the video does not offer the most basic cutting features. It only lets you take 30, 60 or 90 second snippets out of the main video. You could edit the video with any other editing software, HOWEVER that will eliminate all GPS data in the video!!! There are ways around it involving exporting and importing gps data etc but it is very clumsy. Considering the price of this camera I would have expected to edit the video without losing that what makes it interesting to me, the GPS data. You can put up to 32GB memory in the camera, at full hd that translates to 300 minutes of video. And the software does not let you edit it. Dealbreaker.

The bluetooth preview on your mobile phone is a great feature.

One thing that I have never seen or cared about before: the manual of this camera is a joke. It does not tell you the most basic things about the cam and its functions. I'm in my 20s and never thought I'd want to read a manual, but with the options this camera has to offer, a comprehensive manual is essential if you don't want to spend weeks figuring out what the best settings for you are.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 9 July 2013
I won't bang on about how good the results are as I echo the other reviews on that score. But as others have mentioned, the user guide is poor for a product of this caliber.Also I found running the vidio through the downloaded software was very jerky on both my netbook and desktop. I wiped and re-downloaded the sofrware several times on both before finding in the tools the option of playing the video through Windows Media Player. Finally, smooth results with GPS. So it loses half a star.