5.0 out of 5 stars Great Bordeaux Mini-Guide
Am very pleased with this book - it was just what I wanted. As I didn't know Bordeaux, I was after something which outlined and informed about sites to visit within the city, but I didn't really want to wade through pages and pages of information. So, this was ideal for me.

Published 17 months ago by Linda Plummer

2.0 out of 5 stars Like an in-flight magazine article
Published on 23 Dec 2012 by SussexBeemer

2.0 out of 5 stars Like an in-flight magazine article, 23 Dec 2012
This review is from: Bordeaux and Beyond Travel Guide (Kindle Edition)
This is a very short guide to Bordeaux and some of the surrounding wine regions. It is curiously imbalanced, having far too much about sports and the Chaban-Delmas stadium in particular (for example, all the travel information is aimed at visitors to the stadium rather than to Bordeaux itself, making me suspect that it has been lifted from a source about the stadium). Instead of describing and listing markets, it contains a link to a website with information on markets. This would be acceptable if (a) a Kindle had a reliable, permanent internet connection and (b) the website was legible on the Kindle screen. Sadly neither is true of my Mk 1 Kindle.

It took me about half an hour to read the whole thing other than the sections on the wine regions and sports which were not relevant to me. I bought it to prepare for a short visit to the city of Bordeaux and it has given me an idea of the areas to concentrate on but little more. It lists only seven restaurants and eight hotels. There are no maps. I can't recommend it, even at this price. I should have waited to buy a proper Michelin guide when we get there.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised by this handy little guide, 2 Mar 2014
This review is from: Bordeaux and Beyond Travel Guide (Kindle Edition)
I approached this with some trepidation, having recently downloaded a series of guidebooks, all by one author, that were absolutely DIRE. This one is not, and is well worth buying if you are going to Bordeaux.

Or rather, I should say: it's well worth buying if you are going to Bordeaux, and are not a teetotaller. :-)

It's not true to say that it is all about wine, or about cognac, or pineau des Charentes, but there is a great deal about this very important part of some people's life, with details and explanations about the wine chateaux around the town, as well as the best places to sup. If you're a wine-lover, you will really appreciate this book.

The guide is very useful both for planning your trip beforehand, and for guiding you while you are there. It's not just wine. It has details of the main monuments of the city, and tells you which bus to take there. It gives little nuggets of history without over-doing it and getting boring. It's a bit short, but there you go. At least it's accurate, unlike the dire series I mention above, and the one slip in the French that I noticed I am kindly ascribing to a typo, since the rest of it is fine.

It misses telling you about the Tour St Michel, however, where in my youth you could pay a few centimes and see and touch (poke!) sixty odd mummies that had been dug up from the old cemetery in the 18th century and displayed in the crypt.

Real live mummies!

Well, real dead people. Mummified bodies, conserved by the nature of the soil in the cemetery. With their skin shrivelled to their bones, and rags and tatters of clothing in some cases. A favourite visit for all of us kids - you could touch them! In the 80s or 90s they decided that this was inappropriate and took them away for burial again.

In summer 2013, they set up an exhibition in the St Michel crypt, with a short film showing what the original exhibition was like. There is an extract from the guided tour of the 50's with the guide helpfully pointing out that such-and-such a body has only one eyeball in the two eye sockets. See if it is on again this summer.

And meanwhile, buy this book!

P.S. So why only four stars, not five? Because I, unlike most readers probably, am a teetotaller. :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Bordeaux Mini-Guide, 23 July 2013
This review is from: Bordeaux and Beyond Travel Guide (Kindle Edition)

I particularly liked the section on wines, vineyards, cognac etc, perhaps because this was of more interest to me. The author gave plenty of interesting information about wine, tours and tastings, along with contact details for these tours.

I also found his selection of hotels really useful because, if you don't know the city, it can be extremely difficult knowing which hotel to plump for.

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 17 July 2014