5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful
Published on 4 Nov. 2006 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Its okay though I expected a bit more information.
Published 7 months ago by shaz

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, 4 Nov. 2006
I just started using this book a few months ago and I really recommend it to anyone suffering from childhood trauma and also the loved ones of those suffering from it as the principles are really important for recovery. So far I have been dealing with so many issues that I never understood but now I can finally understand and take positive steps towards recovery. It most likely will evoke some painful memories but just know that it is part of the healing process. I am so glad i bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A useful guide to trying to reclaim your life, 12 Jun. 2001
By A Customer
This book offers practical suggestions to managing problems that often follow on from an abusive childhood, such as flashbacks, "spacing out" too easily in times of strees, urges to self-harm, anger and excessive anxiety. Poor self-image and other problems such as all-or-nothing thinking are covered in detail. Working through this book has been really helpful personally.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant if painful reading, 16 July 2009
Ms. C. R. Stillman-lowe "Cathy SL" (Reading Berks) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I have been using this book alongside group psychotherapy, and have found it invaluable. So often the points made by the author, who is an expert in her field, intuitively make sense to me. I'd recommend it very strongly, as essential reading if you had a troubled childhood, and are looking for a structured way to make sense of your experiences, and find hope for the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for survivors and their loved ones, 11 Jun. 2013
I'm starting CBT therapy soon and I've used this book as a stop gap- The book itself is full of clear, friendly and sometimes painful information about what abuse is and how it can affect a survivors life, along with details about how negative thoughts are created by abusers and then maintained by survivors over the years. When it comes to the exercises, the more you put in, the more you'll get out of this. I'd also recommend this book if someone in your life is a survivor and you want to understand their experiences better

5.0 out of 5 stars Good supportive book, 21 Nov. 2012
This book takes you steadily through the emotions that you do not think other people will understand, but this book does. Good for anyone that had an impact in their childhood.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book., 29 May 2013
Really gets to grip with solutions to overcome childhood trauma and provides a practical guide to supporting those suffering from trauma. A very helpful guide for the professionals.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Useful tool, 22 July 2010
Mrs. S. L. Lashmar "bestiavolaticus" (Sheffield UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book by recommendation of my psychotherapist, as a tool to use alongside and following the time spent with her. The series from which the book comes is one which aims to allow people to work through the various problems in the series at a pace and level that suits them, with each book being written by an expert in their particular area.
Whilst the book isn't full of medical/therapy jargon, it does set out clearly the theories and reasoning behind the excercises listed.
Personally I have a fair amount of knowledge about the medical side of things, however still found the introduction section quite dry and pithy reading.. however you shouldnt let that discourage you, as the meat of the book is not like that, and i would probably suggest starting at the preface, which is a much simpler explanation as to what the book sets out to do The book has a base in using cognative beharioural techniques to enable the person working through it to reflect uupon issues in a way that allows them to explore their patterns of behaviour and thinking in a way that does not place blame but to understand where this comes from and modify things for the better. A lot of practical excercises as well as suggestions are contained, which are good for those, like myself who tend to be overly analytical.my personal sticking point with some of the excercises to work though was the amount of notekeeping and listmaking to do, but that is more down to myself, than the book - and as is set out - not everything will be suitable for anyone, and the book is not meant to replace a therapist. however is a good tool for use in conjunction with, and to revisit if issues do return.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful,, 29 Mar. 2012
This is a fantastic book for survivors. Packed full of hope, and a real true sense that you are not alone and you can get through this. The emphasis is really on being a survivor rather than a victim. I understand my past better for reading it, and would whole-heartedly reccommend it to everyone who has lived through abuse as a child. It made me cry to realise that I have been showing all the signs of being an adult that was abused as a child, when all along, throughout my life, I thought I was just like everyone else.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is adaptable for those who have not experienced childhood trauma but who have problems with relationships, 24 July 2014
Anyone who has problems maintaining relationships needs to read this. There are many exercises, but to get the benefits you do have to do the work. I am halfway through and have felt a lot of changes within myself. I am beginning to believe that I can finally heal and enjoy my life.

5.0 out of 5 stars overcoming childhood trauma, 12 Sept. 2011
this is a good start if you don't have anywhere to turn and have suffered any sort of trauma as a child. The book deals with sexual and physical abuse as well as outlining the reasons and causes of things that happen beyond the control of a should I say victim or abused person. If you feel more help is needed then the book suggests counselling such as psycho sexual or whatever is appropriate to the reader. It won't solve all of the issues the reader has immediately but in time little by little, shifts may take place which will improve self worth forgiveness maybe and even the start of a relationship further down the road. I think it would be a starting point if you feel that you can deal with problems like this if not then seek some professional advice.

Overcoming Childhood Trauma