on 28 September 2013
Before purchasing this bed, I researched extensively, relying heavily on product reviews. As a result, prior to settling for this item, I was aware of the niggles some people had with the construction of the frame (wooden slats falling out if they turned over whilst in bed), and the limited comfort - after all it's a 'spare' and very basic needs bed. Suffice to say I had very low expectations to start with so I thought it would be fine as a spare bed for my son (10yrs) when he stayed at his grandparents, one night a week.
I sleep on a basic sprung mattress (not an ultra expensive memory foam one) and my son sleeps on a futon mattress, so our regular sleeping arrangements involve very basic levels of comfort, therefore I am truly astonished that even with the purchase of a memory foam mattress topper (decent quality one - £35), the mattress is so hard, it is actually like sleeping on the floor.
Maybe Jay-be have changed their mattress supplier recently, who knows, but how anyone can review this bed as 'okay' to sleep on, is truly astonishing. Sadly, it's been a complete waste of money.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 June 2013
Delivered promptly and great value for money. Can't beleive how comfortable it is and a really good length. No more faffing around with airbeds and pumps!
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Reading the other reviews I was half expecting to spend the night concertinaed up on the floor but I'm happy to report this bed is well made, sturdy and stores really flat. The mattress is thin but no thinner than my ridiculously expensive at the time sofa bed.

I think the problem the other reviewers may have had is putting the slots the wrong way up on the bed base. You have to position the slats bowing upwards. They are a tight secure fit.

It comes in a very strong delivery cardboard box which you can reuse to store it but unfortunately you have to dismantle the slats if you want to store it back in the box. A dust/fabric bag cover would have been great failing a slightly bigger box by millimetres. For this reason I'm not going to store it back in the box but it folds up neatly, quickly and easily in an incredibly slimline way (less than my hand span) with a massive secure clip to hold it together.

Highly recommended for those occasional guests, sleeping next to ill children or in my case having an extra bed for childminded children - I'm fully confident this won't collapse and my puppy even slept underneath it today.

Highly recommended.

I've spent a few more nights on it now and really recommend it for occasional use. It's only uncomfortable if you have your -thinking of word amazon filters will allow - *widest part* in the middle of the bed where the middle leg is. A little shuffle up/down the bed will resolve this. I've even taken it on an overnight trip -it was much easier to set up than the metal frame camping slingbeds and didn't take up much space. Unlike other reviewers I can't feel the slats underneath so I'm not in the running for the princess and the pea competiton.

It's now survived a children's sleepover party so I'd still rate it as sturdy.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 28 November 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
i have to say i was dissapointed after ordering this bed to read the other two reviews as i was then expecting to be very disapointed with the bed and possibly needing a trip to the doctors !
I would say the instructions can be a little confusing if youve never put a slatted bed together before, we had as we had an ikea bed so knew right away which way up the slats needed to go, the do have a curve and many people would think curve up would be uncomfortable and place them curve inwards which will always lead to them falling out with use, so please place the slats bowed upwards ( like a bridge is the onlt way i can explain it )
Husband took all of ten minutes to put the bed together so its very simple and no tools needed here. it is sturdy and although the matress is think its enough for a nights sleep for a guest or for use if you need to be with your child for example as the other reviewer stated.
we have two teens as well as a youngster so we are always having mates over to sleep and tire of having to blow up the airbed so this was perfect for us.
as luck would have it we have a teen staying over the night it arrived so took the chance to fully test it , it unfolded within seconds and was ready to go, hes a good 6ft well built teen weighing approx 12 stone and we had no issues at all, nothing broke, it was easy to get on and off without having to balance , he said he had a fab nights sleep. it took seconds yet again to fold away and is so slim we are able to store it behing a desk in our lounge so no one can see it.
i would also agree with the other review that some sort of cover or slip case would be handy to keep it dust free when not in use but thats the only fault i can find. even my husband ( wont give his weight away but its a lot more than the teen tester ) tried it and had no issues.
all in all a comfortable nights sleep,easy to use and solid.
i woould highly recomend this bed for anyone who has visitors,sleep overs, ill kids or even for when the hubby is snoring and you just need a break !!!!!
on 30 March 2014
This bed has proved to be a disaster. It is not fit for purpose. I promise you it is rubbish. The wooden slats will easily break and if that happens it will be when the bed is being used. I am an adult male of average weight and build, in the first 3 days of use 2 slats fractured. There are positive reviews which is why I bought it - big mistake. Yes in case anyone is wondering I did assemble it correctly, I did not jump on it, dive on it or abuse it in any way.
Did I return it etc - no - for a item of this price and size I just think it is not worth the hassle. It cost me but at least I hope when others read this review it may prevent my mistake in trusting this product being repeated..
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
At this price point you would expect a poorer quality item would you not yet this is not poor quality at all, its not flimsy nor badly made it is in fact a very well thought out bed for use on that odd occasion when someone comes to stay unexpectedly. This item comes flat packed and to be honest me a mere female had it up and tested within ten minutes. I was not expecting the best quality but was thrilled with how strong and well made the base and sprung slatts were.

The mattress on this bed is the let down quality wise. It is an occassional use mattress. What we have done is to purchase a memory foam layer for on top of the mattress and it has made this bed nice and comfy. Before after one nights sleep whilst you were comfortable you would not want ideally to sleep on this more than a few nights on the run. With the mattress topper on it we can use this easily for more than a few nights in a row and my son in law is quite happy and comfortable on this.

I gave this three stars for use straight from the box without the mattress topper or an electric blanket which you need as there is not protection from cool air lying between the floor and the bottom of the bed.

This is excellent value for money, solves sleeping issues on the odd occasion that you might need an extra bed and is comfy and reliable.
It would be perfect for grandparents with those little ones to sleep over.
on 17 March 2014
I bought this item for myself to sleep in - I am a petite female and I needed a bed for just a short period of time to sleep on while mine was occupied by a friend. The bed was incredibly uncomfortable -- the mattress is paper thin and you can feel every slat digging into your back after about 10 minutes of being horizontal. I sat on it one night after having it roughly two weeks and two of the slats of wood - which are quite cheap - cracked and splintered under my weight. This bed would be best for a child-sized individual, or for hosting your enemies.
on 21 January 2013
I needed a small bed for a 5yr old to sleep in,
His parents asked he be in the same room as them.
This bed fitted perfect within the space I had left in the
room. Since my friends son (in his 20's) Has used the bed
and said it was very good.
on 31 December 2013
I was so happy with this product and it looks great. Mine was already assembled which was great. I sleep on it when my mum stays. I have had it for about 2 weeks now and I just turned over and one of the wooden slats snapped!!!! I'm only 9 stone!!!! How rubbish is that?!!!! Not impressed.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 June 2015
very disappointing. the wooden slats were quite thin, though once set up the metal frame was solid. anyway, on the third night, there was the sound of splitting wood, and I rush into the guest room to find my guest entangled in the bed. We got just 4 days use out of it, before it now languishes in the garage.
Certainly won't be getting another. You get what you pay for in this case. If you want cheap, you get cheap.
Our "Occasional Guest Bed" was truly just that, 3 nights worth!