5.0 out of 5 stars Notes from a Kettlebell beginner...
I've just started using Kettlebells and was looking for a DVD to motivate me rather than just trying to learn from a book. This Bob Harper workout is definitely a good place to start.
Published 17 months ago by RoboSan

3.0 out of 5 stars TRISH
Well what can I say, Bob Harper appears to know what he is doing but warning to those just beginning kettlebells...THIS IS NOT A DVD FOR BEGINNERS! Bob's performance and instruction can lean towards unsafety on alot of exercise i.e when performing 'bent over rows' and other exercise he has a tendency to lean he's supporting hand firmly on the bent knee, with all body...
Published 13 months ago by Trish . Ireland

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Notes from a Kettlebell beginner..., 2 Feb 2013
This review is from: Bob Harper Kettle Bell: Sculpted Body (DVD)
I'll admit that to begin with I found it quite tough (I work out but had let my cardio fitness lax a bit too much me thinks) and on the first couple of run throughs I paused it for a minute or so if I needed time out. That was only last week and now I can go all the way through without stopping - which is testament to how much I've improved in just a few sessions. My legs, back and stomach are noticeably stronger already and I've been made aware of muscles I hadn't even noticed before.
It's worth noting that this isn't a kettlebell instruction DVD and you won't find lots of complicated moves - just the core basics integrated in to an engaging routine, which is all you need to begin with. Bob explains the moves clearly enough, but not exhaustively so its really up to you to feel whether you're doing it right. It's good that 'Stephanie' (you'll hear that name a lot) doesn't always do it exactly right because as Bob corrects her you can identify where you may be going wrong.

Bob is entertaining and motivating throughout, and even on repeated watching is not proving to be annoying - always a bonus!

A quick note about Kettlebell weights...I did a lot of research as to which weight to start with. Generally I found the 12kg was about the minimum recommended for a man, however while I can lift and use a 12kg perfectly well I felt it was too heavy (for me now) for this routine. I bought an 8kg - which is about right...I'll swap to the 12 (or heavier) when I'm 100% comfortable with my form for each of the moves. Bob uses a 20lb (9Kg) weight Stephanie a 15lb (7kg ish) throughout.

I recommend getting a kettlebell book too - so you can read about good form and be inspired by the more advanced moves.

Good stuff!

Update! 12th March 2013
I moved up to the 12kg Kettlebell about a week after writing the above review (though I still use the 8) and will be shortly purchasing a 16kg one to add to the mix. My strength, endurance, balance, muscle tone and flexibility have all improved massively by doing this workout on average 2-3 times a week.
I've also lost some of the stubborn belly fat that has been hiding my abs - which as many of you will know can be very hard to do. I'm expecting to look like a xylophone by summer...
I still don't find the DVD annoying even after watching it so many times and on the bits where Bob is introducing the moves I simply start doing the exercises rather than following the 'tuition' steps - so I squeeze some extra sets in to the routine.
To reiterate what I said above, I'm really glad I started with the lighter Kettlebell as I'm sure I'd have given up or injured myself by now had I attempted to follow the DVD with anything heavier. I would definitely advise against trying to run before you can walk!

On the strength of this DVD I will be definitely be purchasing the other Bob Harper kettlebell workout available.

Update! 1st August 2013
Still swinging those bells...and still using this DVD. I've added the Bob Harper Cardio Shred edition to the collection..which is a slightly more entertaining workout with more aerobic content rather than isolated strength exercises.
There are also some good (in my opinion) instruction videos available on Youtube which I also add to the mix, partly for variety but also because it seems that no one instructor does everything 100% correctly...and there is ALWAYS someone criticising one aspect of the routine or another, no matter how professional the instructor appears to be.
In terms of my progress I now almost exclusively use an 18kg kettlebell and have just begun to experimenting with using two at once - it's quite tough! The 8kg bell I started on now seems ridiculously light and I can't believe that I struggled with it at the beginning. I resort to the 12kg when I'm getting tired. or if I want to do really fast reps of certain moves.
My hot tips for kettlebell success...start light, don't rush it, keep at it, listen to you body...and have fun.

Good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars I heart Bob Harper, 9 Jan 2013
This review is from: Bob Harper Kettle Bell: Sculpted Body (DVD)
I hate gyms so I work out at home (I have approx 30+ workout DVDs). Bob Harper is an excellent trainer and makes you "feel the burn". It's a shame his DVDs are not as popular as Jillian Michaels as they are on an equal par. Def' recommend. Warning though - your body will feel it the next morning!

4.0 out of 5 stars good work out, 12 Aug 2013
This review is from: Bob Harper Kettle Bell: Sculpted Body (DVD)
I have been working out with kettles for a while and wanted something to increase my strength. I did the workout the first time with a 4kg bell and thought that, it wasn't too hard, the second workout I started with a 6kg (made a big difference), and finished on the 4kg as the 6kg was getting too heavy. I can now do the full with a 6kg, so my strength has increased. will be working toward the 8kg. Def recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 13 Aug 2013
This review is from: Bob Harper Kettle Bell: Sculpted Body (DVD)
Really good workout, can see and feel results straight away and it's easy to follow if you are a beginner. Love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm in love with Bob!, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: Bob Harper Kettle Bell: Sculpted Body (DVD)
Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! yep it hurts lol! love it and the results are quick too, his kettle bell session as a blast for my HIPS

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME DVD, 10 Jan 2014
This review is from: Bob Harper Kettle Bell: Sculpted Body (DVD)
This is an amazing DVD, you receive a full body work out, really please with the purchase, would definately recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasic & Works, 7 Aug 2013
L. Mason "Loupy Lou" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bob Harper Kettle Bell: Sculpted Body (DVD)
I would recommend this DVD and have done to several friends, tough but works I noticed the difference after a week

5.0 out of 5 stars Great workout!, 9 July 2013
This review is from: Bob Harper Kettle Bell: Sculpted Body (DVD)
Great workout! Tough and quite hard first couple of times to complete but worth it! Would definitely recommend to others!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best kettlebell workout on the market!, 26 Jun 2013
This review is from: Bob Harper Kettle Bell: Sculpted Body (DVD)
This is not for the fainthearted! This workout is for those who are already fairly fit and want a challenge or an added variety to their usual workout regime. An awesome all round workout!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money, 30 Mar 2013
This review is from: Bob Harper Kettle Bell: Sculpted Body (DVD)
Another excellent DVD from Bob. I bought this one and the kettle bell cardio shred DVD and using them together has given me excellent results. I can see my body shape changing after only three weeks, love it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›