Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Amazon Pantry Food & Drink Beauty Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now

on 31 July 2013
I like to think of myself as a bit of an "Audiophile" My music HAS to sound good. My DJ speakers are FBT (at around £2000 a pair), my home speakers are Bose Acoustimass, and my headphones are Sony MDR-XB400. Yes, you read that right. Make no mistake, these Headphones are INCREDIBLE, and I don't even have to add "for the money" in that statement. I found these by complete chance in my local TK MAXX store at a mere £34.99. I'll be honest it was the Green and Grey colour combination which caught my eye, and I thought "I could do with some new DJ headphones" so went ahead and bought them.

I would have to say that my musical taste is eclectic to say the least. I listen to an awful lot of classical music, jazz, House, Drum and Bass, and these headphones do not disappoint on any level. The clarity and separation on softer passages are a delight, and when you turn them up, you're in for a real treat with the Bass response.

I actually carried out a side by side test with a Pair of Beats Solo Headphones (which I must stress are OVER 4 TIMES THE PRICE you can pick these up for) and was very pleasantly surprised to report extremely little difference in quality. It is a different type of sound, but I can honestly say they are on a par with each other.

In summary, if you want to go out and spend £150+ on the headphones which are "the in thing", look good, and are probably far more likely to catch a thief's eye, by all means buy a pair of Beats by Dre, however if you want to buy a quality pair of headphones which not only look good, but sound incredible, I can honestly say you will not be disappointed with these.

If I have to be hyper critical, the lead length of 1.2m may be a little restrictive if you are DJ'ing, but if you are simply looking for headphones to plug into your mobile device . . . . . I STRONGLY advise you to sign on the dotted line :)
1111 comments68 of 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 November 2013
I love these headphones as the sound is great and they are so comfortable!

The only negative thing I could think of is maybe the lead is a little short.

Easy 5 Stars!
on 18 January 2013
Got these for my dads Xmas as he travels long distances to go to work and has had in ear head phones which are good but these are great, the sound is great and no noise leaking out!
on 15 October 2013
This was an impulsive buy. And I only bought it because my friend showed it to me, and I simply fell in love with it. Sleek looks, soft on the ears, and huge headphones that completely covers my head and cancels out most of the ambient noise. I have been using this for around a month now and the music is just awesome. This is best for listening to thumping beats.
For those who complained about the XB400 not good for anything else apart from bass, here's my suggestion. Use an equalizer. I use the free 'Music Volume EQ' app on my Android. This way you can compensate for bass, and get good treble too. I have listened to subliminal meditation tracks and they are more audible than on my previous headphone.
The headphones are so light that I have worn them for upto an hour, and I haven't felt any weight either over my head or against my ears. The ear cushions are the best that I have used. Extremely comfortable.
Another thing is the tangle-free cord. Like the name says, it never gets tangled, because of the ribbon like shape as against the common circular cross-section shape.
Overall, an excellent value for money at the price. Go for it.
on 4 January 2013
Bassheads dream. Forget overpriced solos. These are like Dr Whos tardis. Look small,but pack an awesome punchy bass. Mids are there,but light. Highs are refined but not piercing. Adjust your bass DOWN a little on your music source and their just bliss! Turn up the volume and they wont distort either. They are also the most comfortable cans ive ever worn. They dont grip your head like a vice and ive kept them on for 4hrs without any discomfort. They do leak a little on sound when you crank up the volume,but minor detail. I love them so much,ive treated them to a hard case to protect them! Shop around. They can be had for as little as £20. Pocket money.
on 16 March 2014
I originally bought these headphones for my daily commute to college on a bus, which takes around an hour and a half. The people on the bus are usually quite loud so I needed a pair of headphones that produced a good quality sound, a nice bit of bass and also blocked out main sounds from around me.

Pro's
*These were perfect. If you don't play the music and just where the headphones alone, they are like ear defenders, they block out so much sound!
*They are comfortable, even for long periods of use and they are quite light.
*Some people say the gloss on the ear pieces scratch easily, mine haven't.
*Excellent sound quality with a nice deep bass.
*For the price you expect them to feel weak and cheap. However in my opinion they are a bargain! Excellent quality in my opinion.
*On the left ear piece is a Braille bump to indicate what way round the headset is best orientated.
*Look smashing, very stylish.

Con's
*The wire was designed not to tangle. After use, I put them in my rucksack in an empty compartment. After a few hours I take them out and then they are tangled.
*When turning the ear pieces for storage, after a while mine squeaked on the off chance.
*It would be nice if the ear pieces rotated 90 degrees both ways.

That's my review of these beautiful headphones Hopefully it was helpful, the price of these is low considering all above points.
on 8 March 2013
Love the headphone better than beats audio and I have some people are wasting their money buying beats headphone, to get a good headphones you don't need to spend alot to get them.
on 9 May 2015
These headphones are fantastic.

If you want something that sounds great and you are on a tight budget (and don't care so much about design and built quality), then these are certainly the headphones for you.

In terms of comfort they are very good. Only after listening for about 3 hours straight do you get any kind of aching in the ears. This is helped by the fact that they sit on your ears rather than cupping them (though this does sacrifice ambient noise reduction and noise leakage).

Sound quality. The 'extra bass' really delivers, although I have used these bins to listen to all genres of music over the years (I'm listening to some jazz as I write). The mids sound full and the highs are crisp despite the powerful bass.

The build quality is average, of course for this money it is a sturdy plastic build that doesn't feel very premium (but then you wouldn't expect it to).

Overall, these are an excellent pair of headphones. If you are thinking about buying Beats but don't want to spend that much, do yourself a favour and don't follow the trend. Buy these, or one Sony's higher end headphones that will offer you MUCH better bang for your buck.

40 quid for this sound is a serious bargain. Go for it
on 6 March 2013
I have changed so many headphones that now i have a collection with unused headphones of all the brands. I bought these ones cause of the extra bass and are very good.
on 24 May 2013
Liking bass-heavy music mostly, so have previously bought the Sony X-Bass buds, but I am tired of wearing buds.

I also have the Sony ZX700, which are superb, but really need an extra amp (Fiio) when using on the iPod.
Also, they don't fold, and so are simply too big to cram into the rucksack on a regular basis.
These fit the bill, as they fold flat, are are v comfortable (I wear glasses and have, shall we say a "large hat size", and I don't find these create any pressure discomfort).

The sound is very good, but, I find on my iPod I get a more balanced sound if I actually change the EQ to Treble Enhanced! This still gives a great bass response.
On the other bass-heavy EQ settings, it can just sound too much, the point of mush.

No sound leakage, and good isolation, which makes them ideal for office use.

The ZX700 have the better all round sound, but seem very bass-light compared to these.
I'm saving those for home use, and more all-round listening.

As for these, I really do like then, so much so that I may even go and get the next model up too, the 600 model :)