Sony MDR-XB400 Extra Bass Overhead Headphones - Black
Colour Name: BlackChange
Price:£45.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 8 March 2013
Love the headphone better than beats audio and I have some people are wasting their money buying beats headphone, to get a good headphones you don't need to spend alot to get them.
on 9 May 2015
These headphones are fantastic.

If you want something that sounds great and you are on a tight budget (and don't care so much about design and built quality), then these are certainly the headphones for you.

In terms of comfort they are very good. Only after listening for about 3 hours straight do you get any kind of aching in the ears. This is helped by the fact that they sit on your ears rather than cupping them (though this does sacrifice ambient noise reduction and noise leakage).

Sound quality. The 'extra bass' really delivers, although I have used these bins to listen to all genres of music over the years (I'm listening to some jazz as I write). The mids sound full and the highs are crisp despite the powerful bass.

The build quality is average, of course for this money it is a sturdy plastic build that doesn't feel very premium (but then you wouldn't expect it to).

Overall, these are an excellent pair of headphones. If you are thinking about buying Beats but don't want to spend that much, do yourself a favour and don't follow the trend. Buy these, or one Sony's higher end headphones that will offer you MUCH better bang for your buck.

40 quid for this sound is a serious bargain. Go for it
on 6 March 2013
I have changed so many headphones that now i have a collection with unused headphones of all the brands. I bought these ones cause of the extra bass and are very good.
on 24 May 2013
Liking bass-heavy music mostly, so have previously bought the Sony X-Bass buds, but I am tired of wearing buds.

I also have the Sony ZX700, which are superb, but really need an extra amp (Fiio) when using on the iPod.
Also, they don't fold, and so are simply too big to cram into the rucksack on a regular basis.
These fit the bill, as they fold flat, are are v comfortable (I wear glasses and have, shall we say a "large hat size", and I don't find these create any pressure discomfort).

The sound is very good, but, I find on my iPod I get a more balanced sound if I actually change the EQ to Treble Enhanced! This still gives a great bass response.
On the other bass-heavy EQ settings, it can just sound too much, the point of mush.

No sound leakage, and good isolation, which makes them ideal for office use.

The ZX700 have the better all round sound, but seem very bass-light compared to these.
I'm saving those for home use, and more all-round listening.

As for these, I really do like then, so much so that I may even go and get the next model up too, the 600 model :)
on 7 May 2013
Really nice sound from these headphones.Truly extra bass.While the plastic that keeps them on the head is not that strong, the overall impression is excellent.Highly recommended.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 13 January 2014
I've resisted buying this type of headphone for use with my portable music players for many years preferring to stuff any number of earplug style devices deep inside my ear, I even have a pair of shure earphones which you have to insert at lightning speed before the foam expands. None of these have been comfortable over 10mins and whilst the sound quality has improved markedly none of them has what you would call deep bass.

So what has made me change my mind ... well fashion to a degree as more people wear over the head style phones now ... and comfort/music quality. For my home headphones I have always chosen Sennheisers and I still think they are the best you can buy overall ... but at a tad over £25 I thought I'd give these a spin based on the excellent reviews.

If you want to be seen wearing the latest £150 DJ phones then don't buy these ... if you want a great sounding set that looks classy and leaves you plenty of change to spend on other items then you can't go wrong with these.
on 2 January 2014
I paid £32 for these headphones in December 2013 and it was the best decision I've ever made regarding audio devices.
My primary taste in music is Hardstyle which is an extremely bassy, mainly Dutch music where the beat of the music is around 50Hz. These headphones absolutely excelled in this area. I previously had Sony MDR-XB20 in-ear headphones and Sony MDR-XB300 headphones where I needed to use bass enhancement software to unlock their full potential; with the XB400s, no enhancements are needed.
One thing I found though, over a period of over 1hr wearing these headphones, my ears would hurt from being in contact with the plastic covering surrounding the padding. However, you just move them slightly every now and again to solve this.

Pros:
- Naturally deep bass
- Good mid-range
- Reliable make
- Affordable

Cons
- Discomfort over long use

I will be recommending these to my friends without hesitation.
on 22 March 2014
I'm by no means learned when it comes to headphones, but all I know is these far surpassed the headphones I have owned or tried.
I started off with the MDR-ZX100s and these were obviously not very good at all. They just look nice.
I bought Skull Candy over ears for my daughter and they were a significant improvement in terms of quality and volume.
My Son has the MDR-ZX300s and these out performed the Skull Candy. I was going to go for the MDR-ZX600s when I saw these had come down in price.
When they arrived, I put them on, plugged them in fired up Youtube to test them on my PC and ..... wow. Maybe not the best but certainly an upgrade for me! Made the ZX300s sound like the 100s.
Now I'm not going to be one of those that say they're better than Beats and I've never tried Sennheisers. But I can't get my head around paying three figures when you can get good cans for under £50.
on 25 June 2013
These headphones are fantastic. O.K being 48 I may look like I'm trying to "get down wiv da kidz" as they are rather leary, but the sound quality is brilliant. I love my music and it's important to me that it sounds good so I don't skimp on sound quality and these deliver. I tried them up against the Sony noise reduction headphones and there was no comparison. The only other headphones that I would have considered was some Bose headphones, but the cost was the only drawback there but I'm far from disappointed. I love them, my kids would love them but HA they're MINE!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 4 December 2014
absolutely brilliant great sounding headphones nice and clear. no distortion. found my perfect set of headphones
like the detachable cable. one for normal headphone use and one for using with your phone with a mic. great idea.