4.0 out of 5 stars Great Portables with some Style
I needed a pair of headphones for mutiple uses at home (Laptop/Drum-Kit/TV), but mostly music.

I had quickly heard a pair in Black in a well known retail store, and thought I'd try a pair at home properly when I saw them in Silver.

Published 11 months ago by MrBKR

3.0 out of 5 stars Low end missing
Maybe it's down to my nexus 5 and ipad not having enough "umph" to drive these to their maximum, but I feel that the low end is underpowered compared to the mid and high. This leaves some songs feeling a bit 1-dimensional.
Published 3 months ago by S3Me

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Portables with some Style, 29 April 2013
This review is from: Sony MDR1R Prestige Headphones - Silver (Electronics)

They come in a nice presentation box (although mine had suffered too much damage in posting to warrant keeping, so set was sent back), with 2x cables (detachable from the left side can). One has in-line mic/controls, the other is straight-through. And a pull cord bag for portable use.

Sound wise:

These headphones have a fantastic mid-range and upper-bass area. I makes music drive along with pace and punch and authority with lovely addictive timimg. I tried these up against Beyer 770 (600), Philips X1's, Sennheiser HD598's, AT-ATHA550X's, Soundmagic HP100's and they beat all of these for mid-range drive.

Since pretty much most of the vocal/instrumentation occurs in the mid-range, this makes for a very pleasing listen to modern rock/pop/dance in fact anything other than large scale orchestral or Hip-Hop is really good.

But is has 2 weaknesses.

1. The Bass, is very Punchy (which is a great quality), but could use a bit more extension down deep and you do miss it on odd tracks and orchestral works.

2. They do occasionally reveal sibilance in the top end, albeit it very mild and not something overly noticed.

This means a 4 rather than 5 stars.

That said, they had fairly good sound isolation and, in my opinion, great looks in Silver/Brown. They are also very, very comfortable (some of the best comfort Cans I've had), and fold flat. So, for a stylish pair for outdoor/indoor use, with anything modern/chart (which is clearly Sony's target audience), these are cracking pair of Cans that will put smiles on a lot of faces. And if you fit that audience, then call it 5 Stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, 1 Nov 2012
Mr. R. D. Dawson "ILP" (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony MDR1R Prestige Headphones - Silver (Electronics)
Build quality is impressive, has that quality feel about them without being heavy, are very light on your head and supremely comfortable.

They are a slightly dark sounding headphone, on the bassy side of neutral, with an emphasis on mid bass with the sub bass region somewhat rolled off. Very good instrument separation with an above average soundstage for a closed headphone, vocals aren't in your face forward, and treble has a nice sparkle without sounding sibilant.

These are very easy to drive, getting nice and loud running them from an HTC HD2 smartphone, Google Nexus 7 tablet and a Cowon J3 PMP.

All in all they are a very musical headphone that you can plug into anything and get plenty loud, a pleasure to listen to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Audibly superior!, 24 Dec 2012
Paul Madge (Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony MDR1R Prestige Headphones - Silver (Electronics)
This is the second set of premium headphones I've had the privilege to experience recently - I bought my father a set of Sennheiser Momentums which I've also reviewed on Amazon. These Sony MDR-1Rs reek of quality in terms of presentation, construction and performance. As I see it these are the pros and cons of these high end cans -

Pros

- The presentation and construction are first class - the MDR-1Rs come in a book type case and are beautifully engineered. They have the same sort of understated styling that an Audi or Mercedes has. All the metalwork, joints, cables and earcups are finished to the highest standard.

- Included in the box is a stylish carry pouch and two, non-tangle cables - one with a remote for iPhone use, the other a shorter length for other devices - that can be plugged in to the side of the left earcup.

- The comfort and fit of these headphones is very good, and it seems more than chance as two friends have tried them too and think the same. They are light plus there is a wide range of adjustment and the "cans" don't need to press into your head to achieve a good acoustic seal which doesn't leak sound to the outside world. In addition, the headband is very well padded and you can wear these headphones for long periods without fatigue.

- The sound quality is stunning. The treble/mid-range is very distinct and agile whilst the bass is quite pronounced but still remains natural. Also, the sound stage seems really wide - with some closed back headphones the stage is inclined to sound a bit narrow. That is not at all the case with these Sony MDR-1Rs that were developed in direct consultation with pop musicians. Singer songwriter Katy B and Magnetic Man joined evaluation sessions with chief mastering engineer Naweed Ahmed of Whitfield Mastering to produce these cans.

Cons

- Some sound seems to get in when on the move, although, as mentioned above there is little leakage from inside the phones.
- The headband doesn't fold although the earpieces do fold flat.
- The MDR-1Rs are not as neutral as the Sennheiser Momentums - there's certainly an emphasis on bass (but then that reflects a lot of contemporary music).

Overall, these Sony headphones really do deliver an excellent sound and are very comfortable to use either at home or on the move. I don't think you'll experience listening fatigue as a result of the fit or audio quality of these phones. Also, their construction suggests they'll last a long time and survive the rough and tumble of life on the move. In my opinion these Sony MDR-1Rs fully justify their price tag. Recommended.

(There are noise cancelling (MDR-1RNC) and Bluetooth (MDR-1RBT) variants of these MDR-1R headphones available too).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great with digital devices, 15 Jan 2014
James B. Spink "Jim" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sony MDR1R Prestige Headphones - Silver (Electronics)
Sony's MDR-1R headphones have been around for well over a year now and they are designed for use with digital devices like smart-phones and MP3 players - and for this purpose they sound great! They are not really intended for studio reference or audiophile use though, as they are not completely neutral. I listen with headphones quite often and this Sony model is my current favourite.

Sony have launched a newer model - the MDR-10R - which currently sells for less, even the model including Bluetooth is much cheaper at the time of this review. Those looking for headphones to use on the go, or those looking for a more powerful bass response, my find the newer model suits them better. I use both, and I find the MDR-1R is my favourite for using at home and the MDR-10RBT is great when out-and-about as the Bluetooth is a really useful feature, and the extra bass helps block external noise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent headphones. Current favourite., 11 Nov 2013
Oh wow, these headphones impress. Now, I am no stranger to high quality, hi-fi sound. To start off, I am not the largest fan of completely neutral headphones as is evident in my other reviews. Now, these 'phones are not neutral, like for example the Sennheiser Momentum. If you want pure sound with absolutely no coloration, then those are for you. I will warn you however, their sound, for me at least, is too clinical and too "reference".

Back to 1R. These are awesome in pretty much every way. You can listen to any music genre and the tunes really sing. I have tried these with EDM, Rock, Pop, female and male vocal, Alternative Rock and Classical. These have a very interesting sound signature which I have yet to hear from any headphones. They are very easy to listen to and will never tire with their excellent mids, punchy bass as well as sparkly and exciting highs.

Bass:
Some reviewers have said that they do not lack some low end punch. I would mostly have to disagree, although they do have something to base it on. If you are listening to "WHUMP WHUMP WHUMP" sort of music, sure, these aren't going to rumble and blast bass into your eardrum UNLESS you amp them or tweak with the EQ. That is fairly easily done and have the desired effect in Dubstep. The rest of the base is beautifully presented and sound nothing short of awesome. In my opinion, they have the kind of bass that works for every genre, not just basted bass like the beats. Now I am a basshead, and trust me, if I say there is enough bass, then there is enough bass :), unless of course you really like headphones vibrating on your skull, which personally I would rather use a sub woofer for. 9/10

Mids:
This is where the 1R's really shine. The mids are beautifully presented and are crisp, clear and sound amazing. I would actually say that these headphones are the closest I would go to "reference" sound because of these slightly boosted mids that give these that special sound that personally I love. You have to try them on and listen to it, or better yet, buy them and then burn them in for a good 20 hours and then listen. They will sound great. 10/10

Highs:
The highs are sparkly in a good way. They are presented in a very slightly recessed manner so that they are not overwhelming and it is this that takes away that reference feel from them. I personally really enjoy the treble on these, and most other people listening to more modern music will too. Don't get me wrong, they still sound really impressive despite the highs and as mentioned, I personally prefer highs that are not too overpowering, as with the Beyerdynamic DT770 80 Ohm. 9/10

Comfort:
The comfort of these is probably the best I have felt on an earphone so far. The pads are incredibly soft. I mean so soft that you can't even compare it to other earpads that use real or faux leather. They are sublime. 10/10

Isolation:
The isolation on these, being closed headphones is adequate. I have heard better isolation from headphones before, but it will do on the bus. However, don't even try to take them on the tube. The isolation won't block out that thundery sound too well at all.

Overall then, I would recommend these headphones to everyone that wants a pair of easy to listen to and outstandingly sounding headphones. Sure if, you are a seasoned audiophile with a 700 Sennheiser HD 800 and a similarly priced amp, these won't cut it, but for the rest of us, I would certainly say "go get 'em".

5.0 out of 5 stars Real fun headphone, 2 Nov 2012
Mr. R. D. Dawson "ILP" (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony Ultimate over ear Headphones, 14 Mar 2014
This item arrived promptly, and what a pair of headphones. I all ready had a pair of Sony noise cancelling headphones which are great but these are different class. Sounds are great, the power is brilliant, clear when loud and I would highly recommend these to anyone who loves their music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony MDR1R - Silver, 7 Feb 2014
This review is from: Sony MDR1R Prestige Headphones - Silver (Electronics)
I bought this headphone during one of the lightning deals thus I got it for a good price. I am going to split my review into subsections. I am just an average listener who loves Spotify and not an expert in sound reproduction or music. Previously I have owned Sennheiser CX400-II and RHA MA-750i and Sennheiser PC350 (a headset).

A - Delivery & Amazon packaging
The item was delivered in a reasonable time frame by Amazon. I can't fault a free delivery, especially during busy periods such as black Friday. Amazon does have a tendency to 'over-pack' things and such was the case this time, but on the plus side, it was very well protected.

B - Packaging
I must say, the packaging is excellent. The headphone was well protected and presented beautifully like a premium product should be.

C - Contents
The headphone comes with two cables. One is a plain cable for use with music player such as iPod and one cable which has an in-built mic and controls for use with phones. I use an Android phone and 'next' or 'previous' song does not work for me on Spotify. The central button can be used to accept/disconnect and pause music though. It also comes with a carrier bag/case which has two compartments. The case uses a cable close system (like a gym bag) so it cannot be closed fully when the headphone is inside which I found a little annoying.

D - The look and Feel of the product
I had to go with the Silver/Brown colour as they were the only one on sale. To be honest, the pictures don’t do it justice. It looks much more pleasant to the eye and premium in real. To me, it reflects a gentleman effect rather than a music head effect; that I am a gentleman that enjoys music rather than a music head that is into music. I feel though, the colour would not look out of place while wearing smart outfit (think about first class compartment in train, full of executives in smart outfits, you would not look out of place). The colour is a bit lighter than on the picture.
The feel of the product is another matter. It feels like a premium product. The soft leather is unreal (personally a fan of leather, and no, not in a naughty sense). After about four weeks use, the leather becomes even softer and its just a pleasure to wear. It has to be the most comfy headphone out there; I mean I wouldn't know how to make it more comfortable. The other bits are plastic as opposed to metal but it’s the sort of premium plastic that imitates the feel of metal so I am not that bothered as it feels nice. It also folds flat which is a great plus.

E – Performance of the product
This is the bit I can’t really be a genius about. I am not an expert in any sense. First of all, I had the RHA 750i for about a week. It seemed really flat. I like a bit of bass in my music, subtle enough make the music feel, hmm warm? No, I am not a bass head, but I do enjoy a variety of music from classical, pop, rap, techno, dubsteps, majestic casual, drum and bass and Bollywood. For an average listener, I think this headphone is near perfect. It is not a bass heavy headphone but it does not lack it either. It may not bring your dubstep tracks alive but it will not disgrace it either. I am an avid ‘chill n bass’ listener where the bass is not heavy but does play an important part and this headphone excels in this genre. Normal pop music is fine and is even better if you can tweak the music player a bit. Another point I find really good is that it does not leak much noise. This is especially good for me as I use the tube a lot so less dirty looks. The headphone does get better after some use and after it’s broken in or that is what I felt.

F - Cons/downsides summed up
For a start, its expensive and I wouldn't pay the RRP. It does a fair job of keeping noises out. It does feel well made but whenever I use it, I feel like I am handling something delicate. Maybe that's just me because its an expensive product. Not suitable for certain extreme genres I presume e.g., not the best headphones for dubstep. The carrier bag could have been better designed.

G – Conclusion / TLDR
I paid 95 for the headphone and this will reflect in my review. Would I pay more than 180? No, I won’t main reason being, I won’t be able to afford it but for the price I paid, it can’t get any better. It is great for my use which is mainly listening to pop, rap and chill ‘n’ bass music where the bass is not overwhelming but present. It is very comfy and looks and feels great. It is good for outdoor use as it folds flat, minimal sound leakage and also great for indoor use too. It does a reasonable job of sealing outside noises but not great. Overall, for the price I paid I would give it 5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, but one minor criticism..., 4 Feb 2014
The 3.5mm jacks for the replaceable cables don't fit the socket in the headphones very snugly. While this doesn't affect the sound quality, it can communicate noise into the left earpiece when the cable moves e.g., when you are walking. Minor quibble, and not enough to regret the purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but..., 14 Jan 2014
Bala "Bala" (East Anglia, England) - See all my reviews
Usual premium look and feel from Sony. Am a Sony fan. Good sound and good noise cancelling effect too. However, wasn't blown away, for some reason. My first overhead headphones, found it bit uncomfortable wearing it for long. Also, I couldn't lie down or sit comfortably. May be, it is subjective and my personal feeling. Or my expectations are too high, don't know.

Hence, had to return it. As always, great service from Amazon. Thanks to the hard working staff at Amazon.

ARRAY(0xab008bdc)