on 3 April 2013
With headphones in this price bracket, one does not impulse buy, likely there was a period of time doing online research then going to the local retailers to check the short list first hand. I spent 2 months reading reviews, expert opinions and lost in endless forums on a number of headphones, and very happy to write that the time invested sourced a fantastic set of headphones. The main use for these headphones would be at home or on long-haul flights.

From the moment you open up the beautiful packaging to placing the headphones on your head, you know you have something special. The headphones are very elegant and in my view understated with a dash of red subtlety reminding this is a premium product. The comfort levels are very high and I have had no problems with the inside microphone touching my ears as reported by some people. It comes with 2x cables, one that is a normal cable, the other with an iPhone\iPad\iPod 3 button remote, to play, skip, rewind, stop and Siri if applicable.

Before I started to use the headphones, I had a high expectation, and it was instantly exceeded as soon as I listened to my first track off my iphone. The amount of detail and clarity was impressive, I heard sounds that I didnt know existed or felt I was in the room with the artist and made me want to revist most of my music. The sound is clear, open and warm. The passive sound signature is different to when the noise cancellation is switched on, in the latter the bass is tighter and the midrange pops out. You can of course adapt the sound by adjusting the EQ, however my personal taste is not needing to do this.

Thanks Sony, it's good to see you back on form!
on 23 July 2013
The sound quality is the best I've heard, and in my opinion the design is perfect!
However, if you're not going to be using the noise cancelling a lot, then get the Sony MDR-1R. You can get them for about £150, and they are said to sound better, more comfortable and are a lot cheaper.

----About the noise cancelling----

When I bought these, I expected pretty much all sound to go away. That wasn't quite the case. Instead it only takes out the low frequencies. For example a train passing or the whir of a plane, leaving you with the high frequencies. It also works like it you knock on a table with the noise cancelling on, you will hear a high pitched knock - turn it off and it's a low pitched knock (as it takes out the low frequency, leaving you with the high frequency). This basically means these are great on a plane or a train, but not so great in an office where you will still hear the keyboard keys when typing and people talking.
Also, the noise cancelling does make a veerrryy slight crackling sound when on, and kind of distorts the high notes in the music, so I personally would always turn it off. Just my opinion.
But if you're just going to be using these at home, and just want pure quality, go for the Sony MDR-1R, which are the same, cheaper and sound better. The passive noise isolation is also great, so you won't hear much from the outside world.

Also, if you are looking at alternative headphones around this price - have a look at the Sennheiser Momentum. They cost about the same, and several people have said they're better...but I personally prefer these.
on 20 April 2015
Bought these when my Sony MDR-NC500's died after several years of trusty service. These don't seem quite as good as the NC500's were at blocking out the noise of my neighbours slamming doors and stomping up and down stairs. The on/off switch seems more fragile, as does the recharging socket. Still a good product, but a bit disappointed that a newer model is not as good as one of it's predecessors.
on 15 November 2014
Excellent sound quality. Very comfortable. Detachable audio cable with microphone is a great feature. Microphone is excellent quality.

Noise cancelling is easily on par with the more expensive Bose products. The built-in rechargeable battery lasts a very long time too.

Great product for the price.
on 11 November 2013
I must say, since I need to travel frequent I've been considering a pair of noise cancelation head phones. Problem was not always the prise, but the quality that they provided.
I've tried quite a few times the test pairs in a lot of shops and the results were:
Bose - although it kills a lot of the noise it always felt like I'm gone puke the moment I turned the noise cancelation.
Cheaper Bose models didn't make me feel sick but were either not as good for noise cancelation or it did not fit me.
Philips - didn't make sick but I could still hear a lot of ambient noise (hence the price, half of the Bose)
Sennheiser - where not really comfortable around the ear too. As for nosie cancelation, 10 min in and started to feel a bit sick again.
Other brands similar stories to the above.

So back to the Sony MDR, I was quite sceptical at first because of my experience until not, but hey I decided to give them a shot. First thing I liked the design, really nice feel on of the leather everywhere. Second thing that was really nice was that they fit really good over my ears so for a long use (e.g. 12 hour flight) no problem with the earlobe because there is no pressure on it.
The noise cancelation fits me really well. Clears the room of all ambient sound and stronger noise. First time I tested it my reaction was "wow, did I just teleported into a library!" You can hear the voices of people around you, a bit muffed but if you need to pay attention you can do. 12 hours of flight and at the end I didn't have the buzzing of the jet engines in my head (yey).
Sound quality is really good for what I listen to. The low frequencies are very well audible (I'm not an acoustic expert so I cannot give more than that). There are not squeaks when you move your head or you lean against something. The detachable cable is really a good touch.
What I miss mostly is that there is not volume control on the cable but that I can make myself so not a big loss here, would have been nice though.
The pack is really nice, comes with a case for the headphones also with two cables, one for normal use and one for the i products (which I would probably throw away). Also comes with an adapter for an airplane.
In general there are parts Sony can improve but I am really satisfied and I would reccomend it.
The headphones look the business - matte black and polished graphite - the picture doesn't do them justice. They're made for use with Apple products, but the remote works in exactly the same way with my Samsung Galaxy - allowing me to play/pause/skip forward or back/answer/end and reject a call. The noise cancelling is very effective. The phones feature a digital equalizer and amplifier - every kind of music I have tried sounds good - I find them quite bass-ey - which is great! Up to 22 hours listening time on one charge - via USB. 4 hours to charge. Power handling 100mW, Weight 330g (without cord).

No in-flight setting. The cable is detachable. There is an on off switch on the left earpiece - these are powered by USB rather than taking power from the device. The earpieces swivel and the band expands - making for a perfect fit (and I have big ears and a big head). The headphones are comfortable and light.

I have to put my cards on the table and say I would not have spent this sort of money on headphones - but these were a (very nice!) present. The experience of opening them up was so cool! They are presented in a very nice box, which you open to find a super high quality leather carrying case. The case has a zip all the way around and is quite rigid, and well padded inside (with a little flap between the two earphones so they don't get scratched). The set I got came with an additional cable without the remote control piece on and a connector for airplanes.

All up - I think these are amazing. They're comfortable, light, the sound is excellent, the noise cancelling is great - they're a complete Rolls-Royce experience. Wow!
on 18 March 2014
As the title states these head phones offer all the features that you would expect from a £200+ pair of headphones. The sound quality is excellent, although turning on the Noise Cancellation does drain the sound a little, and they have a prestigious feel to them.

Pros:
---------------
Sound Quality is Excellent
They are supremely comfortable, in the right position ( explained below)
The noise cancellation is effective, if not quite in the same league as the Bose QC15's

Cons:
---------------
The noise cancelling speaker juts out in the centre of the headphone, which can be irritating if your ears stick out a bit as it almost scratches against them. Something that in my case is fixable by repositioning them but it is an annoyance. Although not enough for me to knock a star off.
VINE VOICEon 18 April 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Yes, I had to say neat, because these headphones have been so ergonomically designed, Sony really have put a lot of thought into the user experience, so much so, that I wouldn't mind putting them up for a designer of the year award. There is no user manual , because these headphones are so user friendly, that you don't need one, (there'll be one on the Sony website for sure though). It's immediately apparent how these phones work, where the controlls are, and how to use them. There are no complicated fiddly controls to manoeuvre, just straightforward, and beautifully designed functions. For instance, the in line volume control actuaully works, and is easy to find your way around , without having to look at it.
These Sony headphones, are comfortable to wear, giving an extremely good fit, and quite light, considering that the battery is enclosed in the right hand side earcup. The lead is tangle free, and looks superbly designed in itself. The materials used in these headphones are top quality, and I'm guessing they'll last forever.
The sound is exemplary, and your old mp3's will take on a new life, giving you a purity of sound that you didn't know existed. The base is tremendous , and the overall separation, and balance is a joy to behold. These headphones have been manufactured to the highest standards, to give us a wonderful music experience. The battery takes about two hours to charge up on the mains, which is pretty hast for this type of device, and when you switch on the powered noise cancelling, you're in another dimension - your own! Yes, these noise cancelling headphones really do work, which is more than can be said for many others. Everything just seems to work effortlessly, and smoothly satisfying. Sony make good headphones, but they have surpassed themselves with this model. I was toying with the idea of knocking a star off , because there's no usb mains adapter plug supplied, which seems a bit tight, when you're forking out this sort of money, but the overall quality of the product has persuaded me to leave it on five stars. You've probably got a usb plug at home, and if not then they are pretty cheap here on Amazom. So, if you do want something stylish , which will give your ears a tickle, then you will not be disappointed with these Sony MDR1RNC Prestige headphones - happy listening!
on 26 August 2015
This is an excellent set of headphones. They came very well packed (in many ways the box was so well made it is a pity to dispose of it)
with both of the cables specified but I shall only use really for my Apple products. The sound is brilliant but do not expect every little sound to be eliminated - they are noise CANCELLING and they do an excellent job. I am not an expert but the sound produced for Pop, Easy Listening and Classical music is all that you could wish for. On the Sony website they are advertised at £449 and I would not pay that price but the price quoted on Amazon at the time and after reading the reviews I am really pleased that I have bought them.
on 31 January 2016
These are the best headphones I have ever used. I compared with Bose and have found these so much better on every level. In my opinion these surpass anything on the Bose headphone line and they're an absolute pleasure to use.