5.0 out of 5 stars DON'T LET ME SAY I TOLD YOU SO, 7 Oct 2012
Helpless "Helpless" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Gumdrop Drop Tech Series Case for iPhone 5 - Black (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I waited over three weeks for the delivery of my iPhone 5, in the meantime I got together everything I would need to protect what is an expensive gadget.
I didn't hesitate and put in an order for the Gumdrop protective case. I have one of these on my iPhone 4S and my iPad 3 and if you read my reviews you'll see as to why I opted for this particular brand of protective cover.

Now I know that some people like to show off their phone to the opposition, with the `hey look at what I have!' smiles on their faces, but the first time they drop it (and they will) as they pick it up off the floor you will see the look of anguish on their face.

Apparently the new iPhone 5 which is made out of aluminium, especially the black anodised one, is susceptible to scratches, scrapes and nicks. This is not surprising as aluminium is a soft metal. If you don't mind the aged look of your phone, the worn pair of jeans effect, then by all means go without a case. If you are looking to sell the phone in a year or two, and want full resale value then protect it.

The Gumdrop on my iPhone 4S has looked after my phone for the last year, it's been dropped from a ladder, fell off the car roof (35mph) as I had forgotten it was there, was left in a pocket full of sea shells courtesy of my son and dropped out of the window by my three year old daughter.
It has not only survived that but also what I have put it through and it is still in pristine condition having spent most of its life out of doors.

The new case is a little longer (to accommodate the longer phone) and has the same tyre tread pattern as the old one which gives it super grip when left on the dash of my car. It is however a few millimetres thinner and holding both the cases the new one feels better in the hand. This makes it more pocketable. The screen protector is as before, it works and does not seem to produce `oil slicks' like the iPad 3 case did. All in all it is the same case, why mess with what is not broken.

Even though it is in the case, I still use a Steinheil Ultra Crystal screen protector on both the front and back of the device. Past experience has taught me that tiny little particles can still get into any case and rub away at the surface of the phone leaving marks. There is a plastic surround for the camera lens that fits into the back of the case. If bits of grit get in under the plastic surround it can leave small scratches on the glass around the camera lens. Be warned, use a screen and rear protector under this cover.

Finally, this time I have not sold my old phone on, my wife has taken possession of it unlike her old Nokia (a good few years old) which has teething marks and dents all over it, she decided she needed something more up to date. Unfortunately she has now become one of those `look at my shiny phone' people. Ah well, who am I to reason with her? I'll just pick up the repair bill later. I will however still use my `I told you so' look when I do!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 18 Feb 2014
I have choosen 5 star because it is protecting my phone and when it has fall down thing has happen to it

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 13 Mar 2014
Brought for a son who had dropped his phone and cracked the screen, this is excellent and protects the phone all round. Arrived quickly in the post, great service and fair price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, 1 Nov 2013
Steven (SE England) - See all my reviews
Makes you feel like your phone is protected. I broke the screen on my previous Android phone twice (once when in a case) so wanted something solid for my iPhone. This does the job, I have dropped on to carpet a few times but not yet dropped on to a solid surface like concrete. This may be attributable to the fact that you have a great grip of the phone due to the rubbery surface which reduced the amount of times you drop the phone if clumsy and also can pull off amazing recovery catches when you do thanks to the immense gripping qualities.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gumdrop Drop Tech, 3 Mar 2013
An excellent case! Good quality, easy to fit and very protective! My phone is used in an industrial environment everyday, this case gives me the protection that I need! Would highly recommend!

4.0 out of 5 stars What I wanted but fiddly to fit, 6 Nov 2012
Vix (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
Wanted something similar to a Switcheasy spine case I had for my 3GS which I loved. This one is good but definitely a dust and doggy hair magnet.

Found it a bit of a fiddle to fit as I wanted to be careful not to scuff the edges of the phone (having heard that they scratch easily) and the main frame structure of the case has little catch/arm type things that point inward slightly - obviously to make sure the phone is securely held.

The rubber outer took a bit of playing around with to get a snug fit, though I was a bit gentle with it at first in case the rubber were to split.

I do like the case, feels like a good protective shell for the phone and I like that it makes the phone more chunky to hold on to. The covers for the various buttons are good and leave enough room to plug stuff in comfortably.