on 17 March 2014
I have a few Madhur Jaffrey books and really enjoy cooking Indian food (her Keema recipe is amazing and VERY easy).

However I decided to try this book because I could buy it for reading on my tablet and it got such good reviews. Which are well deserved!

I made the Chicken Tikka Masala and it was properly good, would pay good money for it from a restaurant level of good. I wasn't convinced after I made the initial batch of 'base' curry sauce but by the time I had finished it off, it was gorgeous. I also made the onion bhajis (which were so much more successful that another recipe I had found online) and also the naan bread. Again, I wasn't convinced when making the naan bread as it doesn't use yeast (as Madhur Jaffrey does) but I have to say that it was lighter and less doughy for that reason.

I like the fact that once you've made your base sauce (which makes enough for about 6 meals each for 4 people), it's just a matter of adding a few more ingredients to create whichever Indian delight takes your fancy.

Almost quicker than getting in the car and driving to collect a takeaway, cheaper and tastier!

Highly recommend.
on 20 February 2014
I have been trying to make that original restaurant curry taste for over 20 years on and off and have watched you tubes examples and video jugs, got recipes from indian friends bought books and basically wasted my time. I purchased this last year and never tried it in fear of wasting time again.
I tried it last night and made the garlic chilli chicken. It was better than my best curry shop ever!
I was so proud that i'd actually done it and done it properly, very tasty.
I didn't have ghee so used country life butter instead and couldnt get smoked paprika so used plain paprika.
My house stinks like a restaurant but it was worth it.
Cheers Dan.
on 20 March 2014
When you cook at home you want one of two results: that comforting home-cooked meal, like grandma's apple crumble. Or you want it to taste like it would in a restaurant. I believe the latter is the harder and more valiant goal to achieve and yet this book allows you to achieve it.

I've just finished making the Garlic Chili Chicken recipe and genuinely, if you were to put a takeaway one or the homemade one in front of me, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. That isn't a testament to my cooking prowess (which is at best average) but to the incredible recipes and easy-to-follow instructions in this book.

True - the recipes require far more effort and ingredients than just bunging in a jar of ready-made curry paste, but like that you will never be able to achieve the authentic RESTAURANT taste. I highlight the word restaurant because this book is not, nor does it profess to be, a book of authentic Indian recipes. Rather, it shows you exactly how to make your curries taste the same as if they were bought from you local takeaway. After all, who among us would argue they aren't the best?

Truly deserving of the 5 stars. Thank you Dan.
on 20 September 2014
This guys curry are absolutely fantastic! If you want to make a curry that is better than your local curry house then this is the way to do it.....easy enough to follow instructions and doesn't command lots of unusual ingredients that your local supermarket don't stock!
on 25 January 2013
Some great tips and recipes. A bit easier to follow than the old Pat Chapman books on a similar theme.
One word of warning ... even an old Geordie like me would be troubled by some the powdered chilli measures suggested ( though they are suggestions to be fair)
on 9 September 2012
I have been following Dan Toombs - AKA The Curry Guy - for just over a year on Twitter and have been eagerly waiting for this book. He finally published it! I think I might have even been the first to purchase it.

I love following Dan's curry blog and have already cooked many of his recipes. This book is a collection of his most popular British Indian Restaurant styles curries. Many of the recipes are on his blog though I've noticed some have been tweaked a bit. I made the chicken tikka masala, the chicken jalfrezi and the lamb rogan josh last night and they were all fantastic.

All of the recipes are well written and easy to follow. I love the way Dan encourages the reader to contact him via Twitter and Facebook if they have any questions about his recipes. I know from experience that Dan does answer questions regularly on Twitter.

This is not a book of traditional Indian recipes like so many other cookbooks. These are the recipes that so many of us know and love from restaurants and takeaways. Most of the recipes are backed with really nice pictures so that you can see what you are going to make.

So what are the negatives?

There aren't many. I think it would have been great if Dan had photographed every recipe. I think he photographed about 90% though the missing pictures are on his blog. A section on cooking utensils might have been good too though my standard pots and pans work just fine with the recipes I've made.

Now for the positives...

Great recipes that taste better than my favourite takeaway!

The book is nicely written and obviously well thought out.

The pictures make you want to try these recipes.

I highly recommend this book. You might also like to follow Dan on Twitter and take advantage of the fact that he is so passionate about Indian food and really wants to help you make the best Indian food possible in your own home.

This is an outstanding first book by The Curry Guy. I can hardly wait for his next.
on 14 September 2015
Love this book. Have tried several of the recipes and they are easy to follow with yummy results. I was a bit nervous of the quantity suggested when making my first batch of 'use for everything' curry sauce, but I needn't have worried as it freezes really well - just make sure you have a really large pan or stockpot before you start! I really like this book for family meals because you can do a lot of the preparation in advance (great for busy work & school days), it's easy to adjust the level of heat in the dishes without compromising on flavour and the curry sauce is a great way of sneaking extra veg into children as you really can't tell what's in it - it just tastes really good.
on 24 December 2012
I love my curry and in particular the one we get from our local takeaway in Haywards Heath. With a desire to be able to recreate the flavour of my favourite dish I bought this book on a whim. So far I have made the basic curry sauce (the bedrock of all curries) and then produced a chicken dhansak which was delicious. We also had a go at making Naan bread which was also a success and far better than those you buy from the supermarkets. Nice also to be able to have the book open on my Ipad whilst cooking.
on 4 April 2016
My wife has been going on and on about this book but when she got it she realised the writer has actually changed his recipe's on his blog. In fact they are constantly evolving. This makes me suspect they aren't as perfect as they might have been. She made the base sauce as directed but to be perfectly frank her own curry recipe is superior.
People always say - this is the best ever - well don't believe them.
I doubt I will get another dish from this book.
on 27 December 2015
Great ebook Dan has obviously put a lot of time and effort into it. He and his family basically lived on nothing but Indian food for a year and he also had a food blog where he shows you how to make the recipes. I must admit it I was impressed by his comitement to the project and the book is a nice follow up. The other good thing about the ebook is that I have it on my iPhone and that makes it easy when shopping for ingredients you may not have at home.