5.0 out of 5 stars Great machine for general sewing and quilting, 28 May 2014
This review is from: Janome Memory Craft Horizon 8900QCP Sewing Machine (Kitchen & Home)
I am very happy with my Janome 8900. I upgraded from the 6600 for the extra throat space and it was worth it. Excellent machine, runs very well and sews brilliantly. Easy to choose stitches and there are so many to choose from, no chance of getting bored. |My only complaint is that you need an add on spool holder for very large spools of thread. The 6600 had this built in.

Highly recommended. You won't be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quilters' essential tool, 25 Nov. 2012
I have had a Janome sewing machine for a hundred years and it has been with me across the globe but for me it was always just a necessary backup for dress making, curtains and household repairs and, after it had been 'practised upon' by a couple of my maids in Africa, it has become extremely temperamental in its old age and I have somewhat mothballed it. Meanwhile my hobby of patchwork quilting has grown and grown, and I prefer the 'English hexagon' method which is hand stitched.

But three years ago I had a serious accident to my hand while working and severed the tendon in my thumb since when I have been unable to sew by hand and so, finally, I realised that I should go mad in my dotage if I couldn't do some sort of patchwork and I needed a new sewing machine.

Starting off in my own locality in Ireland, I couldn't find any sort of agency for quilting machines and I reverted to searching on the web. I joined some quilters' groups originating in US (where there are many avid quilters) and it seemed that Janome was the most recommended brand and in particular the Memory Craft model 6600. So I set about finding a retailer and of course examined what was available on Amazon.co.uk too.

There I spotted a retailer who was well recommended in the reviews - Franknutt.co.uk - near Birmingham and I studied the sewing machine he had on offer. I learned that MC6600 had been superceded by 7700 and after dicing and slicing the budget I finally contacted Franknutt.co.uk.

Well I am so glad I did because he was most helpful for my needs and could not do enough to assist me and eventually advised me that he had an even newer model called JANOME MEMORYCRAFT HORIZON 8900QCP and that this would satisfy my quilting obsession.

Not only did the sewing machine travel across the Irish Sea and the whole width of Ireland in two days, but this sewing machine has turned out to be something I did not dream of. It suits my damaged hand because there is a knee lifter and also a wee button which starts and stops the stitching automatically instead of using the foot pedal (though there is a foot pedal too). I have not investigated all the amazing gallery of stitches yet but, within a week, I have finished my first quilt and, with speed adjustment and a fancy attachment called the 'dual feed' foot, find it can cope well with thicker fabrics such as waddings.

The price is not cheap but Franknutt.co.uk sent it to me delivery paid for - and that was quite a journey!

As I haven't tried out all the choices on the machine I do not think I can fairly allot five stars, but the way things are going this is going to be a Dream Machine.