5.0 out of 5 stars This has changed my life, Asian with facial hair, it works!
Published 7 months ago by AK-OK

2.0 out of 5 stars Battery does not last long enough...
The product is cordless and one would expect it to work for at least 40 mins before dying however, I used it for 15 mins and it shut down. Because I was doing my legs, (I finished half a leg), I needed to recharge. After 100mins +/- of recharging, it died after +/- 15mins so I thought I would just use it whist it was charging and found that was not an option. So I had to...
Published 4 months ago by Anicha

5.0 out of 5 stars This has changed my life, Asian with facial hair, it works!, 18 Feb 2014
This review is from: Philips Lumea Precision Plus SC2003/11 IPL Hair Removal System with Facial Attachment (Personal Care)
I wish I had bought this sooner. I'm Asian (Indian) and have suffered with facial hair for a long time. I've had professional laser, IPL and electrolysis over the years. I've tried trimming the hair, bleaching it, you name it I've done it. The professional treatments worked for a while but the hair always came back. It really started to affect my mood and confidence, every time I saw myself in a mirror it was the only thing I saw. I deliberated for a long time about buying this as it isn't cheap and I wasn't sure if it would work on my skin tone or not. I tried to do as much research as I could but there wasn't a lot out there about using it with Asian skin.

It arrived quickly and in good condition. Its easy to use although I do have to contort my face/neck to make sure there is good contact. I did a test patch with no reaction so went ahead and treated my lower face and neck. I use setting 4 after trying 3 and 4 in the patch test. There was a very mild sensation only, no stinging, no reaction or redness to the skin either. The way the handset is, its quite easy for the setting to be altered inadvertently. Occasionally it has gone up to 5 by accident and I've done a couple of flashes before realising. It feels stronger on 5, not sore but more noticeable. I haven't had any reactions even on level 5, I probably could treat at this level but don't want to risk damaging my skin or go against the guidelines.

I've done 4 treatments now, 2 weeks between each. I plan to do another treatment in 2 weeks then increase the interval between treatments. The difference is truly amazing, there is virtually NO HAIR even prior to needing the next treatment. I can't believe I waited so long to get this. I wear my hair up now as I'm not worried about trying to cover my facial hair. I'm writing this review to help anyone else with facial hair decide whether this is right for them or not. I understand that this device merely 'stuns' the hair follicle into not growing and if I were to stop then the hair would return.....I think that's probably what has happened with previous professional treatments. The relief of having an easy, quick, home solution to this problem really is amazing.

It is a lot of money but I will definitely replace the unit as and when necessary, unless something better comes on the market by then. It works out far cheaper than professional treatment and is as effective (from my point of view anyway).

5.0 out of 5 stars Dont think about it, buy it and you will love the product like I do - its my best friend., 17 July 2014
I have suffered from pale skin and dark all over the body hair all of my life, I am 40 now and wished i had tried this years ago. I used to pluck my upper lip every single day sometimes twice a day, my regrowth speed is pretty amazing bordering on superhuman. MY legs are stubbly after a morning shave by lunchtime. this is depressing and resulted in me never wearing skirts to work. MY armpits were also the same. My bikini line was always plagued with stubble rash or ingrown hairs and was about as attractive as shreks ass !! I bought this product in argos with the buy now pay later option. I couldnt wait to get it home but had to leave my plucked upper lip a few days to grown in. I then to my absolute horror had to wet shave my upper lip. This was about as low as my mood could ever have got that I was so hairy i was foaming my face up. As I was not used to the gurning facial positions that men do, I actually took half my top lip off with the razor leaving a nasty gash.
BY this point I actually cried :( I had dark stubble growing on my lip which could be seen even after the freddy Kruegar moment with the razor. I had blood streaming down my chin and I was very very miserable. Half an hour later with enough tissue paper stuck to my face to look like the mummy, I did my first zap, I went straight for a five as I didnt think my facial injuries could get any worse. It didnt hurt, just a bright light. I countinued around the tissue blobs and did my upper lip. Then my armpits which took a bit longer than their recommended time, then my bikini line, takes practice to work it in that join of the groin ! then I did my legs, I must have adhd as there was no way I could sit for the length of time it takes to do my legs, their times are seriously off, I know I have 33 inch legs but it was taking ages. SO my legs are still stubbly but hey as long as I dont have desperate dan face stubble in the morning I can live with cactus legs.

2 months on - No upper lip hair at all !!!!! none. No armpit hair !!!! - the bikini line is taking its sweet time to make a huge difference but its a difference. Also there doesnt seem to be that harsh stubble on regrowth just soft downy hair. Some patches are bald but mostly have sparse hair sprouting. Has it worked ? omg yes !!! Will I buy another one when the 100,000 flashes stop working - - hell yes !!! DO I wish I had done this in my teens ?? - yes. I have suffered and yes suffered is the right word with low confidence about my appearance for years, this has made me feel more like a woman than a male rugby team.
My Advice is buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars So glad I bought this!!, 15 May 2013
This product has literally changed my life. I was initially put off by the price and feared I would be throwing away around £400 if the treatments didn't work but I'm glad I took the plunge.

I have pale skin and dark, thick brown hair but have been plagued with troublesome areas, rapid regrowth and shaving irritations since puberty. I have tried almost everything to make this more manageable and I have to say none of the other methods even come close to the results I got with this.

I have now done four treatments (on underarms and bikini line) but started to get results after the first one. The hair begins to shed in quite a patchy way but after the third treatment I would say I had around an 80% reduction in hair. I barely have to shave at all now having just done the fourth. My main advice is to be patient, it took two weeks for the hair to shed after my first treatment and I was worried it wasn't going to work...it will look like the hair is growing back but it is actually shedding so don't panic straight away, give it time to work. I purposely didn't review this product until I had done a few treatments.

I managed to do four treatments on underarms and bikini line before having to charge the device. It is really easy to use (although I would strongly recommend having a good look through the manual to check you are using it safely and are confident before starting) and I love that it is cordless. The carry case it comes in is really handy too for storage and to make sure the screen part doesn't get damaged.

All in all I'm so pleased with the results and confident after another couple of treatments I will be able to use it every 4 weeks just to top up and doubt I will have to shave the treated areas at all. This will be the first summer I can be relaxed and not worry about unwanted hair, stubble and shaving rash! Best £400 or so I have ever spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works!, 24 July 2014
I have always been unsure about the IPL technology as I am light brown (mixed race) I have used this about 4 times and can already see a massive reduction in my body hair, I use setting 4 on my pale areas and 3 on the darker bits and face, this is a must buy. It really does work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd bought it years ago!, 1 Aug 2014
I have light brown hair and pale skin with dark brown body hair (lower legs, bikini, underarm) so thought I should be a fairly ideal candidate. I've now been using the Lumea for 10 weeks. The first time I used it I put it on level 3 as I was worried about how much it might hurt, but after that, I've used level 5 as it's not at all painful, just a slight flash of heat. It's very easy to use although all the instructions seemed a bit daunting at first. Bikini line takes about 5 minutes, underarms less than that, lower legs 15 minutes. Being a woman of 'a certain age' I've also got some pesky facial hair which I've also zapped.
After about 4-6 weeks I wasn't sure if it had made any difference but I persevered and now, after 10 weeks, it's something of a miracle! Although I'm not totally smooth yet, the difference it has made is enormous and for the first time I have been on holiday and not had to worry about unsightly regrowth, itchy ingrowing hairs or spots. To summarize the results, my lower legs are largely smooth with just a few small areas of regrowth although considerably weaker than before. My bikini line is near enough completely smooth, in fact this area showed the best results of all. Underarms still need occasional shaving to remove a few stubborn hairs but they look better than they ever have before. Upper lip is now completely smooth although looks very natural as the Lumea leaves the blond hairs and only destroys the dark ones - great result there. The only area I'm having to really persevere with is my chin which is a bit of a nuisance as it can get stubbly as you have to shave between treatments, no plucking. I'm going to keep going with it though as the results elsewhere have been so good. The precision attachment is great for more angular places like ankles and chin and it's easy to keep clean. If, like me, you've had years of removing annoying body hair that regrows within a few days, don't hesitate, it's totally worth the rather steep price.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can believe all the reviews!, 25 May 2014
S. Turnbull (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this back in August 2013 and have waited nearly a year to write a review. Partly because I kept forgetting but also because I wanted to be absolutely sure of what I was going to write.

My hair tends to grow back quite quickly so if I shave one morning then by the end of the next day I would regret it I hadn't done so the next morning. This gadget has changed my life! I've used it on my legs, bikini line and underarms. I would get ingrown hairs in most places with shaving and waxing but this has pretty much eradicated that.

I have to admit to being a bit overzealous and using the gadget more frequently than advised to start with but it's really worked. Now I am using it really infrequently and even when the hair grows back it does so FAR slower. I recommended it to my friend who uses it on her face (I'm not brave enough!) and it's changed her life too.

I've got pale skin and dark brown hair so am a prime candidate for this gadget. I am really thrilled with it and it's been worth every penny. I'll never be without one of these ever again!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best On The Market - In My Opinion, 20 Dec 2012
A. Rose (Devon & Menorca) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you have already had a look at the reviews of the two earlier models of the Philips Lumea - Philips Lumea SC2001/00 IPL Intense Pulsed Light Hair Removal System and Philips Lumea Precision SC2002/01 IPL Intense Pulsed Light Hair Removal System with New Facial Attachment you will see that I have used and reviewed both models, I really liked the product and it works very well for me. To date there are around 60 comments on each of the review and I have answered dozens of emails of questions and queries. I am more than happy to answer any further queries you may have but please be patient as I may be on my travels. I will answer you as fully as I can but if you have technical questions or want speedy answers you may be better to go to the Philips website, follow the product link and contact them direct. This is quite a pricey piece of machinery so get all the information and read as many reviews as you can to make sure that it is suitable for your skin, hair and any conditions you may have such as diabetes or epilepsy. The User Manual and Product Leaflet can also be downloaded as a PDF on the Amazon product page under Product Details. Much of the wording below is that of my earlier reviews because this is more or less the same machine as the earlier Lumea models but with a few key differences and advantages which I have listed below :

- The two earlier models had a life of 80,000 flashes whereas this one has a life of 100,000 flashes.

- This model has a larger head attachment for the body (facial attachment same size as earlier model), the original being 3 cm2 and this one is 4 cm2. It might not sound much of a difference but a 25% larger head overall must surely mean 25% less flashes needed around the body.

- There is a continuous slide mode which enables you to hold the trigger down and it will flash as soon as is ready and you just have to slide the head along the skin after each flash.

I am a prime candidate - white(ish) skinned with dark hair - and I have also experienced Intense Pulsed Light treatment at my local salon where I was treated with the Aculight system of IPL. You may think that if I have already had treatment why do I still need it and does it really work ? Well the salon IPL treatment certainly does work but because of their strict usage guidelines I was unable to complete the treatment over the three years I attended as far as I would have liked. The salon only treats at eight week intervals and there must be little or no tan to the skin. This is very limiting when I spend a lot of time in Spain and therefore I could only really benefit in the winter months and because of not completing the treatment I have patches of virtually no hair on my legs and other areas which may have been missed are as they used to be - quite hairy.

The package when it arrives is boxed with a full instruction book and a smaller leaflet with a quick guide of instructions, do's and don't's and general usage. The box has a seal which you have to break before use giving you the chance to return the product unused if you find that it is not suitable for you. Please make sure you have the correct hair and skin colouring before you break the seal. There is also an additional smaller head which can be swapped for the larger one for use on the face and more delicate areas of the body. The facial head has an extra light filter so it is safe and comfortable to use on the face, underarms and bikini areas. There is also a neat zip pouch to keep the machine in once the box is disposed of. The do's and don'ts are scary at first sight but if you understand that the process works by blasting the melanin in the hair follicle with pulsed light you will also understand that it shouldn't be used on suntanned skin because the light will be attracted to the melanin in the skin rather than the hair and therefore burning tanned skin and is almost useless on blonde, white or grey hair as there is no melanin for the light to be attracted to.

The piece of kit is of good quality as you would expect from Philips and is comfortable to hold and use. All the relevant buttons are on the inside edge of the handle and only once, whilst using awkwardly on underarms looking in the mirror, have I inadvertently altered settings without intending to. There are five settings to choose from by matching your skin and hair colour to the chart on the instruction booklet (also shown above on the Amazon page). When you are ready with clean, dry, shaved skin the device should be placed gently but firmly on the area you wish to treat. There is a green `ready' light which lights up when the skin is covered by the sensor so you know exactly when to press the trigger. Because the sensor has to be completely flat to the skin it can make it a bit awkward for some areas i.e. towards the ankles and around the knee area. Some of the bony areas around the knees and ankles are a bit awkward to get flat to the skin with the large head so I tend to change to the facial head which is much easier around bumpy bits (the small head is not just for the face). When using the machine there should be no pain unlike at salons who, I assume, must use a much more aggressive light, hence them having to ice-pack the body before and after treatment and the strict limitations of sunshine before and after treatments and a minimum re-treatment time of eight weeks.

After around 8 to 10 days after my first use of the Lumea, hairs started to drop out and at 14 to 16 days you can easily see that there is a big reduction in hair - about 70% gone. On the areas I have used it a second time the hair dropping occurred at a similar interval afterwards, and at 4 weeks after first using it I would say that 80 - 90% of hair is gone. The hair will only react to the Lumea treatment if it is in one of the 3 stages of hair growth therefore not all hairs will respond to each treatment and this is probably one of the reasons that there are a few hairs left. The other reason is that it is incredibly difficult to be absolutely methodical in moving up and down the leg or other treated area because it doesn't look any different during the treatment like shaving or waxing does and therefore there will be one or two areas I have missed. I have bought a white cosmetic pencil to draw sections on the skin and this does help to keep track of what has been zapped. It also helps to have a partner or friend to do the backs of legs as being a contortionist is also an added problem. The first twice or three times I would suggest using it at two week intervals and after that, I find that four weekly intervals is sufficient to keep me virtually free of unsightly dark hairs. You will get used to how and when your hair regrows and what length of time between treatments suits you. It doesn't treat the almost invisible fine blonde hair so if you are after absolute smooth and hairless skin for the summer then there may be a bit of fluff left.

Since the original Lumea came out about three years ago there have been a few other IPL units on the market, including laser, and scanner style devices. I have looked at, but not tried, other models and to be honest I really wouldn't swap the Lumea for any of the others. There are plenty on Amazon to have a read about (all in one place) and it may well be worth searching the internet for any other models to try to make a comparison. Things to bear in mind are that no changing of bulbs is needed for the Lumea and no messy gels are required. This model of Lumea lasts around 100,000 flashes. Also a big plus for the Philips is that it charges from the mains and is used cordless rather than with a wire like other models.

Does it work ? For me, being dark haired, it certainly does but remember that it does not give permanent results. I have used it thoroughly for the past three summers and not at all during the autumn and winters and by the spring when I start to use it again I noticed that much fewer hairs have grown back and the ones that have are much sparser and thinner. Whether after a whole year or two it would be the same I don't know and I'm sorry but I'm not prepared to do nothing with them just to find out !

I would strongly urge you to read all the instructions and information on the product page above and also read as many reviews as you can find. Reviewers are there to give their honest opinion and with a product of this fairly high cost you don't want to get it wrong. Also, why not google Aculight to get another explanation of how IPL works. If you have any specific questions or queries I am happy to answer you if you would like to contact me at the email address on my profile page. I would also like to add that I have no connection whatsoever to Philips and that I am totally independently using the Lumea for reviewing purposes through the Amazon Vine program.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money!! Couldn't live without it now., 5 Sep 2014
I researched a lot before I actually brought this one and looked at many different models and makes. I can honestly say this is one of the best things I have ever brought. I know the £300+ amount is a little daunting to splash out but it has been so worth it. I have had this product about 6 months and wanted to give a review with my experience after some use. I am doing my body in stages and have currently done armpits, bikini, legs and a few other areas. You might think it isn't working at first, but honestly after a couple of sessions you will see the difference and keep going with it. I used to wave, shave, epilate all the time and now even though I have only done about 4 sessions on my legs and armpits I dont even need to shave for the 2 weeks in between each session as you can barely see the hair that does grow back!

Also a plus to buying this instead of going to a clinic is that you will need to re-do some areas at times, so it is free when you do need to do this.

I would seriously reccomend this. After being paranoid about my dark hair for years and getting fed up of the waxing/pain/rashes etc this seems like a blessing! Would definitely reccomend and even if it suddenly broke for some reason I would buy another one in an instant. Couldn't live without it now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Does it work? YES! Is it worth it?? YES!!!, 2 Sep 2014
This machine is a god send!!! I have been deliberating for months whether to purchase this and am SO glad that I have. I have a light skin tone and dark hair which is recommended and use setting 5, the strongest setting. I am 3 treatments in and have 1 left to go and my skin is smooth and soft with a couple of hairs left but I am confident that by the final treatment with will go. It really is painless (just feels like a very light flick) and the hair just naturally sheds. No more wasting money on waxes, razors, creams, threading... If you are thinking about this, then take the plunge, you WON'T regret it! One negative though is that my battery life doesn't last as long as I had hoped, probably lasts 40 minutes which isn't enough for a whole body treatment so have to do it in stages. And also each area takes quite a bit longer than the times they suggest, but believe me it is worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Amazing !!!, 21 Feb 2014
I am transgender male to female and needed to get rid of un wanted hair. I have Dark hair and light Tanned skin. My hair was fair on my Arms and legs but thicker on Chest and Face. This has worked fine on my legs, arms, chest, stomach. It does take several sessions but eventually the hair comes back thinner or not at all ! .
It hasn't done much on my facial hair though, but is one of them places where the hair is thick, so probably might take years on this.
But my the rest of my body is now at least 90% Hair free ! That's good enough so far, it has saved hundreds or pounds, a clinic can charge £100 just for you face on one session !
All in all I would highly recommend this to anyone, it beats painful waxing and Horrible messy , itchy hair removal Creams.
If you are patient you will see good results in the 2nd session depending on your hair type and thickness.
DO NOT BUY if you have Real Dark skin or light , grey, white hair as it will not work on these hair and skin types.
Its Well worth the Money if you have Dark, black hair and pale to light Tan skin.