5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, small easy and just great - use with Myfitnesspal
This is a decent bit of kit, but used with a smartphone and an app (I, like many, use Myfitnesspal) it is awesome and I love it.

Published 3 months ago by D. L. Price

1.0 out of 5 stars Crap after care service - mine is an expensive mini brick.
Why can't I give 0 stars?
Got through 6 batteries now in 3 months. Put a new battery in - immediately shows critically low battery level. Then stops. I have an expensive mini brick.
Published 10 days ago by slpeplow

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, small easy and just great - use with Myfitnesspal, 2 May 2014
D. L. Price "cider_dave" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews

I had some spare amazon vouchers and bought this to try. I thought about getting a wrist band style pedometer, but I concluded the only actual advantages of a wrist version were a) it is waterproof - but does't record swimming anyway, so I don't care if it comes off in the shower/pool and b) it records sleep, but apparently quite badly and I can't do much about sleep anyway...so at half the price I went for this.

Physically it is pretty small (2 or 3 50p's in your pocket), comes in nicely rubberized clip to hold inside pocket and has no buttons i.e. no way for dirt etc to get in. It takes button batteries too (CR2025), which apparently last a few months and you can buy on amazon for pennies.

I love the tap to view feature, just tap it to scroll through steps taken/distance/time/calories/smiley face - the smiley face get smilier the more you do - only a gimmick, but I liked trying to see how big a smile I could get.

In terms of accuracy it's not bad. Sure it's not super accurate, particularly in terms of distance - when I go running my strides must be too long as over a measured distance the fitbit says I haven't gone as far as I have and I suspect when I shuffle around the house the opposite happens. However I think it's a pretty good estimate and in reality I don't think that's quite what it's for.

The idea is to drive you to up your steps and shame you when the day has been quite low and it does this fantastically, if the exact number of steps/distance is off then it shouldn't matter too much - if you want exact distances then get a GPS watch (I have one of those too...but they don't work indoors, or for extended periods).

The extra bonus is the MyFitnessPall app. These talk to each other on my iphone, in myfitnesspal you enter the food you have and can set calorie nutrition targets. it's great to see actually how bad/good some things are - it quite surprised me and just by changing little things (little less butter/cream/cookies) makes a massive difference.

The Fitbit talks to myfitnesspal and if you have done a lot of exercise gives you an additional calorie 'allowance' for the day.

Using this I've made only slight changes to my lifestyle/eating habits and lost 4kg in a month (from 80kg, so quite a bit) and am still eating apple pies, drinking beer etc

If you love keeping statistics, being aware of what you do and little techie gadgets then get this :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful and makes you want to be more active!, 12 Feb 2014
This review is from: FitBit Zip Activity Tracker (Sports)
I've been using my Zip for 6 weeks now. I'm using it on an iPhone alongside the 'My FitnessPal' App and 'map my walk' app. I use myfitness pal to log food as you can scan barcodes etc, and map my walk for distance and time. All three apps can be synced together and if you've burnt more calories that the app says, the fitbit app automatically puts the difference on myfitnesspal.
I find it really does make me want to be more active. I have a daily goal of 10k steps, if i'm almost there i end up doing star-jumps or running on the spot to make sure I meet my goal.
Definately worth the investment if you want to get a little more active!

5.0 out of 5 stars Focuses you on your targets, 28 Jun 2014
This review is from: FitBit Zip Activity Tracker (Sports)
I've had this for two weeks now and it is the best aid to fitness and health I could have possibly bought. I have always had a weight problem, mainly due to motivation and keeping on track, but this is solving both those problems easily. Wish I could have had it years ago. I had a hydration issue where I wasn't really drinking enough, but now I have solved that too. I am only doing around 4500 steps per day, but started off at around 2500, so even that has gone up.
Although the food database is American, so I have had to enter nutritional info manually, after the first week I had entered and favourited most of what we regularly eat, so it is a lot easier now just to log it.
Highly recommend to anyone -- if a very overweight 54 year old like me can benefit, anyone can!

(FOOTNOTE: I notice one reviewer gave it one star saying they couldn't reset it and it always started with several hundred calories etc. but you don't have to reset it -- the several hundred calories is your steady burn of calories even at rest, around 80 or so per hours, so when you wake up it will have reset itself and already be showing around 5-600 calories of resting calories burn. I'm sad that reviewer left his in a hotel -- it really is a great piece of tech. Don't let his review put you off!!)

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a fantastic device, 6 Dec 2013
This is a brilliant little gadget that has made me aware of how much and how little I move in a day. Plus the technical support is great and they send you an email each week giving you an overview of how many steps you did. Its very small and convenient.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fit bit zip (USA), 20 Oct 2012
Mr. G. MCCABE (Sunny Scotland) - See all my reviews
This little gadget is great
Way better than any other pedometer I've had
I'd looked at Fitbit for a while but other versions had pros and cons not least of which was having to charge them regularly on a base station, which prevented me from buying as I travel on business a lot. This latest version has a button battery which lasts approximately 3 months, problem solved and I bought my wife and I one each. our new fitness regime is great we are not at our 10,000 steps per day yet but averaging 6-7,000 after just a couple of weeks.
The only downside is that logging your calorie intake is a nuisance until you have put in your own custom foods as everything is American in the foods library. Its not enough to make me send it back but armed with this knowledge again I'd probably by a non-linked pedometer with accelerometer technology and no wifi, I'd just log the steps manually [some on the market record a week's data and I'd sign up for the free and British [...] which does just about everything the fitbit web site does. that combination would be much more user friendly than fiddling with the fitbit food log. Still gets 4 stars because of its design and the diminishing problem as time goes on with the software by adding favourites and custom foods using the calories listed on all food packaging.

5.0 out of 5 stars fitbit fit life, 18 Jun 2014
This review is from: FitBit Zip Activity Tracker (Sports)
I have never been so moved by a helpful object in my life, I combine its use with the 5:2 diet, and keep very 'honestly' disciplined, what surprised me was the accuracy of the wonderful fitbit, recording my calorie burning, and against the careful documentation of my intake of food, I have now successfully and accurately lost 1stone 3lbs, and have a little way left to my goal! FITBIT HAS MADE IT SO EASY! LOVE IT !

5.0 out of 5 stars great toy, 12 Mar 2014
Love this gadget. It's amazing to see how much you walk. I bought one for my mum and Dad and it really encourages them to get out into the fresh air and take a walk, because they feel guilty if their step count is too low. But they get a bit competitive against each other! So small and easy to wear.

1.0 out of 5 stars Crap after care service - mine is an expensive mini brick., 11 Aug 2014
Why can't I give 0 stars?
Contacted Fitbit - they were initially seemingly helpful, but when I told them that I bought it in Kuwait (as that is where I live and work now) they were extremely unhelpful. There are no authorised resellers there, so the only way to purchase one is through the trusted sellers that are based there. That is what I did, I provided all invoices and receipts, but was told that they would not exchange my brick for a new one.
Going for something by a more trustworthy company now - like Jawbone or Withings.

5.0 out of 5 stars A bargain, 22 Nov 2012
marcoscu "marcoscu" (Chorley,UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a long term user of an earlier Fitbit product, the Fitbit Ultra Wireless Activity Plus Sleep Tracker, I was very keen to try out this new entry level version. I am not sorry that I did.

For those who do not know the Fitbit range of products are in essence small enhanced pedometers that automaticsally upload your exercise data to the Fitbit website where it can be added to other exercise and food consumption data you input. This is then all balamced together to give you daily statistics to help you reduce or maintain your weight.

The Fitbit Zip is very small and light and could be easily lost as could the various accesories supplied with it. However, the battery life - unlike other mnodels the battery is not rechareable - is very good and the battery used is easily obtainable. Unlike with other versions this budget model does not record or take into account steps climbed or nightly sleep patterns. Data is uploaded from the Fitbit to the free mobile phone app via the new Bluetooth 4 protocol which is not supported by older devices such as the iPhone 4.

The key to the success of the Fitbit lies in the Fitbit website which is offers an extremely comprehensive (although US slanted) way of monitoring your health through exercise and diet and allows for a wide range of other health metrics such as blood pressure, pulse rate etc to also be inputted and taken into account. You can also add 'friends' on the website with whom you can compete on daily or longer term targets The Fitbit can also directly upload data to similar websites such as Runkeeper or MyFitnessPal.

This is a bargain indeed and a great way to enter the Fitbit exercise and dieting world.

The Good
Inexpensive
Uses the new low power Bluetooth 4 protocol
Free iPhone and Android apps
Can also be used with a wide range of other exercise websites
3 month battery life
Bluetooth dongle supplied
Great motivator

The Bad
Fitbit, dongle and battery key are all small and easily lost
Non resuable batteries must be used
Older mobiles without Bluetooth 4 not supported
Unlike more costly models the Fitbit Zip does not monitor sleep or steps climbed
Limited functionality of the mobile phone apps

5.0 out of 5 stars Kept me thin!, 15 April 2014
Back in 2012 I decided my new year's resolution would be to lose weight. I'm not sure how, but I did it and in 2013 I knew I'd need a plan to help motivate me to keep the weight off and stay active.

As part of my own success had been down to diligent recording of food and excercise, I originally considered a basic pedometer. However after research I decided to spend a little more and invested in a FitBit Zip.

After more than a year of ownership I'm still so pleased with it. I aim for 10,000 steps a day and the Zip counts along giving me calorie and distance traveled with a tap at the screen. Within the last few months, an App for my Android has also appeared, so I can sync anytime with my Fitbit account and review the excellent website and all the stats that provides to see how I'm getting along.

Every week, I get a summary email giving me my stats and how I compared to my friends (the social networking element is a great motivator!) and I'm always so pleased to see that a guy with a desk job can cover more than 30 miles a week if he really puts his mind to it.

In short, a ZIP might look like an expensive pedometer, but really it's an internet connected fitness device that not only counts in the basic data, but uses it to motivate and add pleasure to walking and running, which for some of us, is what we need!