5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down
I downloaded this book on a whim as it was by a local Staffordshire author and I am so glad I did.

From the first page the characters are so well-written that you feel you know them, while the dialogue is natural and believable throughout.

Published 21 months ago by Hannah

2.0 out of 5 stars Tautological prose
Am I reading the same book as other reviewers ? To me the book read exactly like someone who had written an ok story and then been told by a teacher, who knew little about real literature but had been directed to "improve" her pupil's standard of creative writing, to go away and add as many adjectives as possible to every noun, regardless of whether or not they...
Published 1 month ago by Tweedledum

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 3 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Former World (A Little Forest Paranormal Mystery Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

The plot moves effortlessly between murder-mystery and paranormal suspense without ever missing a step. There's one particularly creepy scene set in a cinema which is so chilling that I almost get goose pimples just thinking about it.

I’m just glad that there are two sequels already available - I am currently racing through book two, Memento Mori, and finding it just as enjoyable as the first. I will definitely keep looking out for future books in the Little Forest series.

5.0 out of 5 stars This was a great and exciting read, 14 Feb 2013
What I liked about this book was that the real horror was the way events unfolded in Beth Powers life. Slowly but surely events unfold and you get a sense of something dark and creepy going on. You feel for the main character and it leaves you wanting to read more to find out what she does, while things start turning against her.

I can say this is well worth a read and that's coming from someone who struggles to keep an interest in many books. This definitely captivated me and I'd certainly recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars A one-in-a-million début book, 4 Jan 2013
Adam Croft (Bedfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
It's incredibly rare to find truly great self-published books and even rarer for your first book to be any good (and I should know...) but The Former World gives the reader a wealth of entertainment and suspense, drawing you in to the mysterious and wonderful world of Little Forest.

As someone who doesn't do so well with fantasy or science fiction, I was initially worried that the book would be a little too supernatural for me. Having read Poe, Lovecraft and King, I can honestly say that Coleman has successfully been the first author to really bridge the gap that makes the supernatural very natural indeed. The occasional elements of fantasy really are very cleverly woven into the story, giving it an all too real feel which is the key to true horror gold.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 11 April 2013
I downloaded this book after reading an article about the author in the local paper. Chick lit is more usually my genre, but I was gripped by this. I gather Coleman plans her books meticulously, and it shows; the plot is complex and multi-threaded, but I didn't spot any holes and I didn't guess the ending! The writing is confident and the characters are believable and likeable. There is a definite story arc through the series; the first mystery is resolved within this book but there are plenty of loose ends left hanging for the rest of the series - enough for me to immediately download the next one!

Oh and if you are local (like me) it's fun to spot the locations used in the book - and the ones that are made up!

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, 24 Mar 2013
I wasn't expecting to enjoy a free book so much. Well written, fast paced and gripping. I can't wait to read more about Little Forest and the Former World. I read this book every spare moment and did not want to put it down. Loved it. The plot lines were intriguing and Beth's introduction to the former world left the reader feeling as spooked as Beth herself.
Some of the books I've downloaded have left me feeling short changed as they read more like short stories, or a condensed version of the full book. This was definitely a full book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing first work, 5 Feb 2013
I couldn't believe this was the first published novel from this author. Her work has a sophistication and style which other more well known authors lack. The story gripped me from the beginning right up to the end. The amount of detail packed into this book is immense but it still manages to flow at an exciting pace which kept me interested throughout. Oh, and the ending is just amazing! I was NOT expecting that!

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!, 19 Nov 2012
L. G. Kirtley (UK) - See all my reviews
I loved this book. I really could not put it down and have already started on the next one. The main character is very convincing, I actually feel like I know her and her friends!She is a weird combination of the person you really want to be and the person you would dread being. The balance between the supernatural elements of the story and the unbearable humanity of the characters,(both good and bad) was perfect. Coleman has a very relaxed writing style that is easy and pleasureable to read. I love this type of writing and can honestly say that this book is so much better than so many others of the same genre. I can wait for the next one in the series...and the next...

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant debut, 29 Oct 2012
A brilliant debut from Jessica Grace Coleman who creates a world that's easy to get lost in for a while. And all set around macabre backdrop of Halloween - what's better for a tale of ghosts, ghouls and other things that go bump in the night?
I urge everyone to take a trip to Covershire!

5.0 out of 5 stars good stuff, 14 May 2014
Not often that free book holds my interest. Writing books is hard but Self publishing lacking the support and editors etc. well that got be a labour of love. This is well plotted. The dialogue modern and free flowing. I formed an clear picture of the characters. I will be continuing with the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read!, 24 Sep 2012
LK Hughes "morwen fletcher" (bradford, west yorkshire, united kingdom) - See all my reviews
This was an excellent read, with a thumping good mystery.

I'd definitely recommend this book - I couldn't put it down all day.

There's mystery, an interesting plot and great characters - check it out!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›