Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.98

on 5 July 2013
I am always keen to find out the truth about Soviet statistics and this book very accurately attempts to justify and quantify alleged statistics on the Russian side. The Germans were pretty meticulous with their battle and casualty reporting which I hadn't properly appreciated until now. The Kursk was a huge defensive operation which the Russians conducted par excellence, however it has changed my perception of tank battle statistics. When a tank is declared knocked out the Germans proved that a knocked out tank can probably be repaired and make a re-appearance next day. They were geared up with mobile engineering crews who got many tanks moving again. At Kursk the very concealed and hidden nature of the defences mitigated against the Russians having field workshops. The book very well describes the despair the German front soldiers must have felt at the end of the battle having been completely repulsed.
on 31 August 2013
This account moves at some speed giving the same sense of urgency that most have been felt by the senior commanders of both sides. This massive battle is described in some detail and the size of the encounter is sometimes hard to grasp.
I found the constant references to northern flanks,southern flanks and village locations to be rather confusing without a detailed map to view.
I feel the book could have benefited from detailed maps,perhaps dealing with certain aspects of the narrative to aid understanding.
I enjoyed the book and will probably read it again with some Decent maps to hand.
on 2 October 2014
I wasn't keen, a bit too big-picture, tactical and strategic for me, I more wanted to hear about the plight f the soldiers involved.
on 1 June 2014
Smashing book, I love this type of book so I am biased :-). The facts and figures can be hard to follow but thoroughly interesting.
on 14 April 2013
Many details on the part of the German high Command and Adolf Hiter ways of thinking before the battle itself
on 18 October 2012
This is a brilliant book full of information and photographs. An excellent description of the battle at Kursk during the Great Patriotic war.
on 24 December 2012
I very much enjoyed it - a very good account of a turning point battle on the Eastern Front in WWw2