5.0 out of 5 stars We Can All Achieve Amazing Things - This Book Tells You How
Damian Hughes uses this book to explore how we can all achieve amazing things. The theory of positive thinking and goal setting to achieve even the wildest of ambitions is well researched and presented in an easy-to-understand way. There are also numerous exercises to take the reader through the steps needed to reach their own goals.
What I liked about this book is...
Published on 29 Nov. 2005 by SJ

3.0 out of 5 stars One for the boys?
Published on 27 Sept. 2012 by Tommyboy

5.0 out of 5 stars We Can All Achieve Amazing Things - This Book Tells You How, 29 Nov. 2005
This review is from: Liquid Thinking (Paperback)
What I liked about this book is that it uses real life examples from Damian's colleagues in industry to illustrate achievements, rather than just the usual gamut of top business or sports personalities. In doing this it makes the accomplishments of everyday people, such as building their own home or captaining a rugby team, special and worthy of credit. It also empowers the reader to go after their own dreams, however grand or modest. Two weeks after reading this book, I have bought a saxophone and booked a learn-to-snowboard holiday, and I am confident the lessons I have learnt from it will help me achieve many more of my own personal goals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 28 Sept. 2013
Absolutely loved this book ... Its so easy to read, has pages at the end of each chapter for you to add notes of what you'd like to achieve and how you will do it. Lots of supporting statements from very successful people Damian has worked with including Sir Richard Branson, Jonny Wilkinson and Daley Thompson. The book makes you reflect on what you have achieved and goals for the future... Probably the most powerful statement from the book personally was "Striving for excellence motivates you; Striving for perfection is demoralising" .. A really enjoyable book ... So in the words of Richard Branson ... "Go ahead. Take the plunge and become a fellow liquid thinker"

3.0 out of 5 stars One for the boys?, 27 Sept. 2012
This in many ways is a very good little book. It is very well written, well structured and eminently readable. There isn't much new in it as it is firmly of the Positive Mental Attitude (PMA) stable that came out of the USA in the 1980s, but it benefits from being up to date and UK focused. I liked the very accessible way in which it has been put together. My major concern about this book is that all of the examples are written about men. Only one of the little case studies is about a woman who fights against breast cancer, but even that one is written from the viewpoint of her husband. What a shame and what a missed opportunity. Every single endorsement in the book (and there are quite a few of them) are also provided by men. One for the boys? (By the way I am a man and not a raging feminist. Indeed I am mid fifties, married with kids, but this book still grated).

Minor point but the book makes a bit of a thing about a Harvard study of 'goals' in the 1950s. In fact this was supposedly a Yale study about those who made goals. Yale have a web entry that confirms that no such study exists, even though it is oft-quoted. (The web link to Yale is [...]. Damian's book has the feel of using a lot of second or third hand 'research' to back up his argument which detracts from it.

Having said all of that his book has motivated me to keep trying to secure a new job - his quote of Thomas Edison got me thinking afresh: "Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up". Seven quid well spent, even with those reservations.

5.0 out of 5 stars A life lesson worth listening to., 5 Feb. 2010
J. Duducu (Ruislip) - See all my reviews
The areas of success, business leadership and inspiration have been the domain of American authors since the self help books of the late 60's. Some are good, many are dreadful and all are written for the US market in mind.

So the genius of Damian Hughes is to use the positivity and uplifting examples that you can find in some of these other books but put them in a more British setting. The examples collected are diverse and satisfying and highlight many truths about how the world works. I'm not saying that British is best but we in Britain have a healthy reality check sitting right next to our ability to think our way out of situations and achieve so much.

Damian Hughes I believe has merged these two aspects together and leaves you with a book that is practical, helpful, uplifting, crammed full of great examples but avoids sounding cheesy or arrogant. In short a must read for anyone who is looking to inspire their team or themselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless yet contemporary lessons for the open minded., 3 Feb. 2010
This book fell into my lap at the perfect time. I had stayed in a job I felt safe and confident in, however was feeling chronically unchallenged and staid.
I found this book provided me with the tools and motivation to do everything from my new CV, to preparing for my interview.
After getting my new job, I revisited the exercises during my second year and managed to get the status of 'Outstanding' for my coordinator post in an OFSTED inspection.
I keep it close at hand and have referred back to it on several occasions. I have read other books on similar themes but none with the warmth and empathy of this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such an excellant book you just can't put it down !!!, 1 Dec. 2005
This review is from: Liquid Thinking (Paperback)
Not only is this book very interesting read, but the way it gets you relating to soooo many situations in your own life is amazing, and the bits at the end of each chapter give you a platform on which to change the way you approach the relevant situations in your life when similar ones come around again.
So if your looking for motivation ? or inspiration ? This is the book for you. A book with the blessing of loads of very successful poeple such as Sir Richard Branson, Daley Thompson, Jonny Wilkinson and many more with their tales of mental battle, you too can decide if you SINK or SWIM !

5.0 out of 5 stars Liquid Thinking, 8 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Liquid Thinking: Inspirational lessons from the world's great achievers (Kindle Edition)
Buy this book, it will change your entire outlook. I have had the pleasure of hearing the author speak at a conference. He is as engaging as he is inspiring. This book is a must for anyone who has a goal in life. Pure excellence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Damian Hughes - Liquid Thinking published by Capstone Publishing., 5 Aug. 2010
Damian achieves his lifetime ambition of writing a book but achieves a great deal more than this.

His book "Liquid Thinking" achieves this ambition but does more than that in what is Damian's first foray into writing. He captures the thoughts and secrets of those have experienced greatness and blends their secrets with well researched traits of successful people.

The result is a must have resource for all those who want to achieve success in their work life, their personal life, leisure life and even those who are entering retirement.

We are seemingly schooled to be productive members of society whereupon having helped to be a small part of the national workforce and "done our bit" we are put out to pasture and wait for the "station to arrive" whereupon we will have "achieved."

However to adopt this approach to life is to miss the purpose of life. Life is about achievement, creativity, fulfilment and the embracing of the child within us. This book enables us all to scaffold the understanding of all of these qualities and how we use the qualities of successful people to realise that we are capable of more than we think or even know. It is the essential companion for all of us who aspire to be the best that we can be.

For schools, it is a pre-requisite to school improvement where the hidden talents and potential of all of our staff can be unlocked to the benefit of our schools and the individuals within them, leading to higher aspiration in school and more productive and fulfilling personal lives outside school.

5.0 out of 5 stars Different from the usual change your life books., 30 Sept. 2013
I found this book to be doable compared to the usual life enhancing books available. In sections with places to assess what you are already doing and what you want to change, it is a sympathetic approach to changing bad habits.
It applies to high fliers and average folk alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's working!, 4 Feb. 2010
Feeling I was stuck in a rut and blaming everyone else for my situation, I decided to make the brave step of 'doing something about it'. I didn't really know where to start but I read some reviews and opted for this book by Damian Hughes.
From reading the first page I was totally captivated... It started to raise questions that I had never even considered before, and I was certainly suprised by some of my answers after digging deep. It helped me realise that I'd spent far too much time (mainly at work) focusing on the negative aspects of my situation, and totally neglected all the positive elements and opportunities. I think the difference with this book, is that it actually gets you to put things into practice, rather than just being 'a good read'. It's definitely working for me!