on 23 November 2012
I used a rare three days off last weekend to get all of my Christmas decorations up. And at the end of the day, I thought I just needed something fun to read by the twinkle of my newly hung lights.

My choice? The latest in the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich - Notorious Nineteen. (For those of you unfamiliar with these books - it is indeed the 19th book!)

Stephanie is still working as a bounty hunter for her cousin Vinnie in New Jersey. Her trusty sidekicks Lula (a one time self described 'ho ), office manager Connie and her Grandma Mazur are still by her side. But not too close - Stephanie seems to be a magnet for trouble - notably for destroying cars.

The rent is due, so Stephanie is happy to get a skip that could pay her big bucks. A local retirement home owner has embezzled millions from the facility. He went into the hospital for emergency surgery, then vanished - along with the money. Detective Joe Morelli is also looking into the case. Security expert Ranger has hired her to watch his back at a wedding for one of his staff. (A horrible pink dress is involved.) And Steph seems to growing quite attached to a Tiki statue that may or may not be giving her advice. All in all, a typical day in the 'Burg.

And yes, the sexual tension is still there - between Steph and Ranger......and Steph and Morelli. Although, Evanovich does let Stephanie have some thoughts about her future in this book. Marriage? It might be time for Steph to make a decision. And Evanovich too - the last few books are virtually copies of themselves with the names of the skips changed.

But, the Plum books are fun to read. They're light-hearted and won't tax your brain. The whodunit isn't overly difficult to figure out, but it's the journey there that's enjoyable. And we all could use a good chuckle.

Reading these books is like a bowl of your favourite candy - you keep dipping your hand in, knowing what to expect, but you still enjoy every mouthful. (Yes, there was some Christmas candy involved in my reading...) And of course there is the burning question.....who would you pick? Morelli or Ranger? I'm kinda leaning towards Ranger.....
on 10 December 2012
I've read every one of these books, and I have to say this is definately not up to her usual standard.As the series has progressed they seem to have got less funny. Maybe Janet has got fed up of writing this series.That's what it feels like.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 November 2012
I enjoyed the book but felt it was not as funny as some of the earlier books and the situation with Morelli and Ranger is getting a bit stale
on 14 February 2013
Not great. I normally read one of Janet Evanovich's novels within days of receiving - but this one I still haven't finished. I had high hopes,I pre-ordered it and I was disappointed. Same old characters, no progression in any of the relationships and too repetitive. I feel disappointed I paid so much for the new release.
on 19 January 2013
Still quite funny and easy to read but the Morelli/Ranger situation is definitely losing its appeal. Maybe it's time for Stephanie to hang up the stun gun (Twenty's plenty sounds good for the next title).
on 3 December 2012
I love the Steph Plum novels, but the story line is getting a bit tired and the books seem to be shorter every time. Saying that, I will probably keep buying them....waiting for the day that Steph and Morrelli get hitched!!
on 1 December 2012
Yes im afraid to say that my favourite series of books is getting stale. Wheras in the early books i used to cry out loud with laughter with tears streaming down my face. The last say 3 or 4 in the series have been well below par, lacking everything that made the earlier ones so much fun to read, ie, humour & a story you just couldn't wait to read, turning each page eagerly. 20 should really be the final one, time to wiind it all up.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 27 January 2014
I've loved reading the earlier Stephanie Plum books, many of them being laugh out loud funny, but the last 10 or so books have been terrible and unfortunately this one does not bring the series back on a high!

There is the thinnest plot and everything else are repeats. Stephanie is back to blowing up 3 cars in this book, catching a naked guy, to-ing and fro-ing between Joe and Ranger... been there, done that for the last 18 books!!!! Something new is needed or the series needs to end. I wish she would just pick one of the men - there is no suspense now for me its just 'for gods sake pick one'!

Number 20 is definitely on the back-burner until it is at rock bottom price. I'd advise people to not pay full price for this - it just isn't worth it, wait until you can get it cheaper. I'll be keeping this but only because it is part of my set

Very disappointed reader
on 25 February 2014
I have read every installment in the Plum series, and had recently become a little disaffected with the seeming similarity of some of the more recent adventures. However, this latest addition to the series was a very pleasant surprise.

Although there were no surprises, I did think this was a return to form. I loved the constant annihilation of Stephanie's cars, I loved the constant doughnut and chicken munching by the main characters, and the descriptions of Morelli and Ranger are always welcome.

The plot this time around involves Stephanie chasing the usual crazy FTAs, but specifically chasing missing patients from a local hospital that have they mysteriously vanished from. She is also recruited by Ranger to be his date at a friends wedding, which is most hilarious when Ranger relays his phone messages regarding her outfit, that made me lol.

I read this book in two days, and was genuinely sad when it was over. I now realise I'm not bothered if Stephanie remains unmarried and undecided about her love life. I don't care where Ranger's cars are from, and Stephanie's family meals are always interesting, and leave me salivating. I don't think there is anyone else out there writing as proficiently as Janet Evanovich, her unique blend of thriller/comedy are perfect, and she makes it look easy.

I love Lula's wardrobe, and her reactions to those daring enough to mention her size. These are not politically correct novels, and I love them more for it. The characters language reflects the world they live in, and I hope we are invited as readers to visit them there again, and again in the future.
on 13 March 2013
Stephanie Plum is a Jersey girl working for her uncle in the bond enforcement field (due to lack of other jobs). She's been doing this for 19 books now and seems to be getting better at her job of catching those who do not show up for their court appearances or FTA's (Failure to Appear).
She and Lula (an ex "ho", currently a "file clerk" for Stephanie's uncle Vinnie) who accompanies her on most of her adventures, get into some really hilarious predicaments trying to apprehend FTA's. This sometimes includes things like: letting an alligator loose on the neighborhood, getting her car firebombed, going naked on a nude beach with just handcuffs, etc. The fun is really interesting and can have you rolling on the floor.
Stephanie has an on-again/off-again relationship with two men, Joe Morelli (a cop) and Ranger (an ex Ranger/now security business owner). Joe is an old high school flame that talked her out of her virginity when she was 16 or 17. Ranger was and is her mentor in the bond enforcement field and is incredibly sexy and more than a little dangerous. For 18 books she's had an issue with commitment to either of the men. Joe has some commitment issues as well, as does Ranger who honestly says marriage is not in his plan but anything short of that is wonderful.
After finishing this book I have a bit of mixed feelings. I love the FTA chasing and all the funny complications she and Lula get into. Some of the side FTA stories are interesting even brilliant, but how much longer can this keep going on? She has the usual fire bombed cars and blown-up apartment issues. God, why can't I find a man like Ranger who'll give me a new car when I crash a fender!
I liked her being Ranger's "bodyguard" in this one...I keep having hopes that she'll get more into Ranger's life and perhaps work for Rangeman (Ranger's security firm) and grow her relationship with him. When she's going down the aisle as a bridesmaid and meets Ranger's gaze, I thought it might get a little farther seemed to me he hasn't been so totally against marriage as he this something to hope for? The big drama in this one was one of Ranger's past team members that was really crazy and the drama was very intense. But then she keeps going back to Morelli and we're back to square one!
I also thought for a while that Morelli seemed less interested, certainly more accepting of her working with Ranger. He just didn't seem to care much, none of his usual hotheaded rants and raves about it. Then he says her loves her! At one point she was even wondering if she could quit her job...she just doesn't seem to be the stay-at-home mom type and was okay with that, but knew Morelli wanted a wife and kids type life - so was she reconsidering him as a future? I'm so confused! Even worse is, I'm losing interest. After 19 books of this same scenario I'm looking for progress!
The book is of course well written, as they all are! I do love the series and the people in it. I'm just not rushing to get the next one for more of the same. It's still fun when you get into it, but a bit of a letdown when nothing much changes.