5.0 out of 5 stars Yesterday...
I watched this film yesterday. I felt like the bottom dropped out of my world, and when it finished my heart was twice the size it had been before. Sharpy and I just sat while the credits rolled, it didn't feel appropriate to move. After everyone had left we walked home in silence.
It was gut wrenchingly beautiful and saddening. For the first 20 minutes I...
Published on 22 Feb 2006 by Ms. Ki Wildig

1.0 out of 5 stars Not widescreen in my definition of the word - no way!
[Please note that my review below is dated 31 Oct 2011 and is based on a release of this film that may be different to the one currently available. Note that Amazon shows reviews for virtually all versions and media types of a given title, often mixing up descriptions of film prints produced at different dates as well mixing up VHS, DVD & BD reviews.]

Firstly...
Published on 31 Oct 2011 by Evan Arthur

5.0 out of 5 stars Yesterday..., 22 Feb 2006
Ms. Ki Wildig "poor, poor student" (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
It was gut wrenchingly beautiful and saddening. For the first 20 minutes I thought it was going to be purely aesthetic...trying to decide whether what you can see is clouds or the sea is a little strange...but when, after 20 minutes of watching footage of some of the bleakest uninhabited landscapes on the planet, you get a closeup of the oil mining industry, it feels like a punch in the stomach.Speeded up shots of spaghetti junctions make the traffic look like red blood cells in the biology videos we used to watch in class. A closeup of an old womans hand with an IV drip and bloodstained tape holding it in place...she reaches out her hand to the nurse changing her IV and the nurse takes her hand for a second. Then you can see, but it's almost imperceptible, the nurses grip loosen as she's about to let go, and every part of you is begging her not to, but you never see. The shot changes before she lets go of the old womans hand. And you know she did, because you could see she was going to, but the tension that was in your body doesn't leave with that knowledge. Sunbathers on a beach overlooked by a factory. Tourists in the factory taking pictures.

It's impossible to describe how a film with no dialogue and essentially no plot, made of a series of pieces of footage put together with a soundtrack comprising mostly an organ and some bass singers can affect someone this much. So watch it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Movies without words, that will keep you glued to the screen, 8 Jan 2003
A. J. Kirke "alexis kirke" (Plymouth, UK) - See all my reviews
Director Godfrey Reggio and Composer Phillip Glass collaborated on a number of "movies without words". This DVD includes "Koyaanisqatsi" and "Powaqqatsi". Both have a similar approach. The most legendary of the two is Koyaanisqatsi, and this disk is worth getting, just to have that movie.
Koyaanisqatsi is a Hopi Indian word, one of its meanings being "Life Out of Balance". This is a little misleading, since principally what Reggio is portraying in this film is the effect of machines and technology on people, and where we fit in to it. I say "what Reggio is portraying", but that is inaccurate. It is really what Reggio _and_ Phillip Glass, the soundtrack composer, are portraying. The soundtrack through this wordless movie is continuous and is as important as the images. If you have never heard Phillip Glass' music before, it is a sort of repetitive classical music called "process" music or "minimalist". It works through repetition, hypnotic effects and dynamic build-up. It can be very very effective.
In fact in this movie the music has an almost drug-like effect. During the slower scenes of the movie, there is slower repetitive music, and I felt myself relaxing into it. But during the very fast scenes in the movie, the music is ridiculously fast, and the effect is very invigorating. I almost felt like punching the air at times!
So what exactly are these scenes? Well they are slow panning, slow-motion, fast motion, and normal motion scenes of nature, technology, people, cities, etc. If you have seen the movie "Baraka" you may know what I'm talking about (Koyaanisqatsi created a genre, of which Baraka has become a part). Using scenes of the desert, of the moon rising, of buildings being demolished, of freeway footage sped-up, and of subway stations at a blur, Reggio documents mans' integration and dependency on technology, and how it affects us. And he does this in brilliant synergy with Phillip Glass' music.
This is no "difficult" or "experimental" movie in the sense you may be thinking. It is captivating and exciting. I had a group of friends round to watch the DVD, some of whom liked art-house movies, and some of whom didn't. They were all impressed by Koyaanisqatsi.
If you want a new, exciting and engrossing experience in movies, then check out this DVD. If you just want to see some great filming, and to hear some fabulous process/minimalist music, then check out this DVD. If you want to feel that you've experienced something extraordinary and deep, and seen the world in a new light, and been given a great buzz from doing all of that, then check out this DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Open your eyes and ears - you are about to learn!, 12 April 2003
This movie, in some respects, took me on an 'out-of-body' journey around the world that we live in today. Although the movie is close to 20 years old, the ideas that the movie suggest are as equally viable today. Our place in the world, how neglectful we are of our natural surroundings, our immanent route to self-destruction - all of these ideas, for me, where somewhere in this movie.
It is a beautiful movie - one cannot say more. A beautiful symbiosis of vision and sound. Fricke (Cinematographer) and Glass (Composer), with the directorship of Reggio have created a modern masterpiece. With the full extent of Glass's minimalism on audible display, the repetative nature falls perfectly into place with the nature of the visual montage.
You will be hard pressed to find a movie that will pull you in as much as this does. Within 20 mins you will be completed removed from your surroundings and experiencing what seems like another world. Buy it, turn your lights off, tell everyone else to go away, un-plug the phone, and prepare yourself for a mind-opening experience...

5.0 out of 5 stars A magnificent film, 6 July 2005
Jan "janc333" (West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
I have been a member of the DVD rental club for 6 months and this is the first time I have felt compelled to write a review. What a wonderful film. I hadn't know what to expect, and maybe this helped, but I was completely drawn in by the images and music. Once I was hooked the film then took me on an emotional ride, the music gently taking me by the hand deeper and deeper into the darkenss. The absence of human voices made me feel that the message I was given had come from the heavens. And what a message, it left me stunned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Koyaanisqatsi - Life out of balance, 11 July 2005
This is one of the most beautifully crafted films I've seen in a long time.
Every image is rich and vivid in terms of aural and visual aesthetics, as well as conveying a strong underlying message or idea regarding life (qatsi).
The film poses questions regarding the essence of our nature that in a progressing society, has become so infused with the advancement of technology. Has life become that of a series of machinizations, souless, and confined to structure? Godfrey Reggio reminds us that there are parts of the world, aspects of life, which are still untainted by technological development. That society still has the ability to be spiritual and organic. Some images juxtaposing the creations of man and god are so profound and excellently filmed that they become moving in their poignancy.
Phillip Glass' musical score gives Kayaanisqatsi an almost hypnotic quality, ranging in density to fit the sequences of image and moods.
This film is not boring or arbitrary, however the meaning is always going to be purely subjective in regards to the audience. I recommend Koyaanisqatsi because a sign of great filmmaking is being able to create a work that will leave no one indifferent to.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not widescreen in my definition of the word - no way!, 31 Oct 2011
Evan Arthur (Horsham, Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews

Firstly let me say that I absolutely love Koyaanisqatsi - I saw it originally on a terrestrial TV channel in the UK back in the 1980s. I also bought the original version of the soundtrack on cassette and virtually wore out the tape because I like the music so much. Recently, I'd seen some discussion about problems with the aspect ratio of various versions of the film that are available on DVD, but having read reviews raving about this 2-DVD set that mention the widescreen vistas in the film I thought I was on safe ground.

Within seconds of starting the film I knew this was not going to be good - the film title came up as "OYAANISQATS" because the first letter "K" and the last letter "I" had been clipped off by the 4:3 aspect ratio of this presentation (which appears to have removed the left and right edges of the original film print). On my widescreen TV there were two broad bands of blank screen on each side of the visuals. There is no way this is a proper widescreen print so why is it described as such? Towards the end of the film (the basso profundo climax, in particular), I also noticed what sounded like some weird artefacts on the soundtrack as described by other reviewers, but even that is a minor problem compared to the hopelessness of the aspect ratio.

Something else also appears to have happened during the transfer to distort the dramatic images that characterise this movie and it produces a disconcerting ripple that is particularly evident in the slow pans across the amazing landscapes. At its worst the effect can be quite disturbing or even slightly nausea-inducing because the image moves in an abnormal way that makes you feel like your eyes are malfunctioning. I just found this comment on the BFI Screenonline website on this subject "the view from a helicopter flying over scenery in the movie Koyaanisqatsi, for example, reveals motion artefacts in standards conversion all too clearly", but I'm not sure whether this has identified a problem with my DVD-player or the authoring of the DVD itself.

Much as I adore the Godfrey Reggio/Ron Fricke/Philip Glass masterpiece that is Koyaanisqatsi, I'll send this version back and try to obtain a proper widescreen transfer. I haven't even opened Powaqqatsi as it seemed pointless to go through the same disappointment with that film, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite simply, a must see., 13 Jan 2003
Twenty years after it's first release, Koyaanisqatsi is still a unique and ground-breaking combination of video footage.
Until you have seen these films, you cannot begin to appreciate how much the techniques pioneered by Godfrey Reggio in filming these productions have influenced so much televisual imagery over the past two decades.
Arty pretentiousness aside, I think that everyone should be MADE to watch Koyaanisqatsi - not because it is profound, but because it is, just simply, beautiful.
Within these films time-lapse filming (speeding-up the very slow) and slow-motion has been targeted at subject matter with such genius that it is impossible not to view both the natural world, and technically-laden humanity, in a different light.
Cutting to the chase, let's clarify what's on offer here.
The films in the Koyaanisqatsi trilogy are NOT standard Hollywood feature-film productions - these films essentially are breath-taking video footage married very well to a soundtrack of looped music...
The films in the Koyaanisqatsi trilogy are NOT aimed at any age group, culture, or creed - assuming you are open-minded and (initially) patient most people will be glad they have watched them.
The films in the Koyaanisqatsi trilogy ARE essential to anyone who has a home cinema, and occasionally wants to watch something a little different.
No bad language (no dialog at all), no violence and sex (difficult with no cast to speak of), and yet profound and totally watchable.
How many films can this be said of?

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful but...., 9 Mar 2003
By A Customer
The long-awaited release on DVD of two masterpieces of modern cinema. Ground-breaking movie-making of the very highest order. Having owned poor VHS copies for many years I have yearned for this release and have not been disappointed. The "added value" of th DVD special features is a welcome bonus.
My only caveat is that when films rely so heavily, indeed are integrally MUSIC videos, that the transfer to Dolby 5.1 should be perfect. Unfortunately, that is not the case here, unless I have had a batch of faulty discs. Every one of the Powaqqatsi discs I have had has a slight break-up of sound on the rear left channel. For most listeners it would probably be unnoticeable, but for me it spoiled an otherwise impeccable release.
If it is the music which inspires you, then listen to the CD; the film is great if you can live with the sound problem. I try again to get a good copy - my love for these films is so great.
A worthy purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars World out of joint, 12 Jan 2003
Michael K (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
The title of this film, Koyaanisqatsi, is a word from the Hopi native American language meaning world out of joint or world in chaos. The film uses time-lapse photography to show the inherent madness of modern life, disconnected from nature. People and their technology are depicted in a head-long rush to nowhere, out of touch with their living environment. Although 20 years old, its central message is still highly relevant today. The images are startlingly beautiful and often breath-taking. The soundtrack by Philip Glass, with its waves of repetition and surges of church organ, fits perfectly. The Hopi indians had little technology and even less need for freeways and skyscapers. Watch this film and judge who was/is better off.

4.0 out of 5 stars A slow exploration of nothing less than the world, 5 Feb 2005
A strange film, this. It would be at home in an art gallery; it would be at home in the chill-out room of a club. There are no actors, there is no speaking, there are no words. Koyaanisqatsi abandons the symbolic order for a consideration of the material world, the dynamic world - and through outstanding photography and a well thought out score, it delivers a very interesting message.
The film is broadly in four parts. The first is devoted to the natural world - aerial photography of desert landscapes, boiling clouds. The second looks at human imposition on this - mining, skyscrapers, bombs. 'There is too much concrete in the world' is what Reggio seems to be saying; this ecological message is later diluted or lost, I thought, leading to an ambiguity that does not sit entirely well with the final frames explaining the title. Third are people, groups of people shot speeded up so as to be not individuals but a seething mass, flowing throughs streets as water does over rock. Here is humanity, caught between the natural world and its own mechanistic constructions - caught in the built environment, but really more organic than that. Faster and faster come the images and the music, Glass's minimalist score repeating over and over - then cut to the reflective concluding sequence.
There are some shocking images in this film - landscapes destroyed, the mechanical horror of the factory - and these all tie in to the final message that there is something wrong with the modern world, with modern life, that we are unnatural and sick. But yet the photography of city lights at night is so incredibly beautiful that I feel this critique to be softened, as how can something evil look so good? I think a lot is meant by the opening and closing image of primitive figurative drawings on a rock wall, but what does this say? Man has been imposing himself on nature since his very beginning? I am not sure. Perhaps that is the beauty of a film without words: more space to find our own meanings.
Watch Koyaanisqatsi if you are a geographer or sociologist or interested in ecology. Watch it if you are a fan of Phillip Glass and his particular type of semi-electronic minimalist classical music. Watch it if you're into avant garde film, or just have a patience for the different (watch it if you're a good Buddhist). I think Koyaanisqatsi is a film that would bore many people - even I, who liked it, found the opening half hour or so pretty slow - who would rather it to be background wallpaper than the focus of attention. There is no story, after all. It is a film to be watched alone, in the calm, a film to relax into. Wait, and it'll absorb you.

Koyaanisqatsi/ Powaqqatsi Double Pack [DVD] [1982]