5.0 out of 5 stars A surprisingly good trackpad!
I looked upon this with some trepidation as someone who has used a variety of trackpads on a variety of laptops with very different standards of quality, and rarely with much happiness. But with an upgrade to Windows 8 imminent, I thought I'd give it a go. This means that I tested it entirely on Windows 7, and on a desktop PC.

I'm very impressed. It's just...
Published on 29 Dec. 2012 by Caroline P.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but a couple of beware of's
Published 12 months ago by Mike Bates

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but a couple of beware of's, 28 July 2014
This review is from: Logitech T650 Wireless Rechargeable Touchpad (Accessory)
I purchased this Touchpad to try and save space on my desk, to work with a Windows 7 64bit PC. On opening the box the Setup Guide had clear, easy, instructions. There's no CD/DVD so you need to download the driver software from the Logitech support site. Before using the Touchpad I charged it via a USB3 port, it took about 3-4 hours to get a full charge. The Unifying Receiver and the Touchpad were recognised by Windows as soon as the receiver was plugged into a USB2 port.
The basic Click and Scroll gestures work well but it took a couple of days to master the right-click, and two weeks in I am still struggling to consistently get the click and drag gesture. This product could definitely benefit from a training tutorial that allows you to practise the gestures. I have marked this down to three stars as there are a couple of issues I still haven't found a solution for. Firstly, I have a two monitor setup, and when I try to click and drag a window between monitors my finger runs off the edge of the Touchpad before the window move is complete, often resulting in a window split across the monitors. Changing the mouse sensitivity to allow a drag in one attempt makes the fine mouse movements unworkable for the Photoshop work I do. So, I either have to do multiple click and drag gestures, or I've tried to do a convoluted "click, drag, start swipe with thumb just before finger gets to edge of Touchpad"! The other issue I have is that you cannot rest you fingers on the Touchpad (as this results in a unwanted click event) so I'm getting mild RSI from my hand hovering for extended periods over the pad. I intend to try a wrist support to see if that helps. Your fingers need to be very dry to get the best results, so I've found during a couple of recent hot days I need to dry the tips of my fingers regularly. On the upside the battery life seems very good so far; I leave the Touchpad on all the time and after two weeks the battery is still showing as more than half full.

5.0 out of 5 stars A surprisingly good trackpad!, 29 Dec. 2012
Caroline P. (Milton Keynes, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

I'm very impressed. It's just about a perfect size, giving around 4 times the area of an average laptop trackpad. The extra space makes all the difference in the world in terms of useability, as you have room to manoeuvre. Plus it is a perfectly engineered product with a very responsive surface whilst being satisfactorily lacking in any kind of annoying "jitteriness".

Within a day or two of use, the pad became entirely an intuitive affair. The functions all work perfectly well in Windows 7 - scrolling, back, forward, minimising windows, making them full size etc. Obviously, there are no 'charms' to bring up and you don't get the Start menu by swiping in from the left because Windows 7 just doesn't work like that. I'd specifically mention dragging and dropping, as that's always (normally) difficult on a trackpad and another reviewer mentioned it. I find it completely easy, using the side of my thumb to click down and hold and a finger to move the item across the screen. Right-clicking takes a little more precision, as it needs to be done on the bottom right-hand corner of the pad. That also became automatic within a few hours use. Shifting unconsciously between 1, 2 and 3 fingers for varying functions also soon became intuitive.

To my surprise, within a few days I found myself preferring the trackpad to a mouse - and I've used a mouse since they were first invented. I really didn't anticipate this. But I'm whizzing around the screen and doing all my mouse functions either as easy, or even more easily, than with a mouse (especially minimising and restoring windows on the screen). My mouse has now been relegated to gaming duties.

Sometimes I find myself leaning back comfortably in the chair, picking up the pad with one hand and using the other to control it, rather than leaving it lying on the desk. As this might suggest, this is also pretty near-perfect control device for anyone with a media centre PC, or anyone with a need to control a PC from a distance (eg in your hand, lap or lying on the arm of the chair next to you while you lie back and relax!)

I'm most impressed!

4.0 out of 5 stars Super product, 9 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Logitech T650 Wireless Rechargeable Touchpad (Accessory)
Had this device a few weeks now and have really enjoyed using it. Gives you access to all of the touch features that Windows 8 making it easily navigable without a mouse. Can see these really catching on once people see how well it hooks into Windows 8.

My only slight annoyance at the time of writing is that there is a bug with dual screens (which Logitech have promised to fix) which means when swiping from the left to switch apps, the software doesn't currently support the swipe and flick back to get the list of running apps. Once this is fixed, I'll see about coming back and giving this top marks!

4.0 out of 5 stars Some issues but, in general, very happy, 23 Jun. 2014
Steven Crook (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech T650 Wireless Rechargeable Touchpad (Accessory)
I've never been a fan of touchpads on laptops. I find them a bit fiddly and inclined to misinterpret my touch as a double-click; sometimes with frustrating consequences. I also suffer from sore forearms and wrists when using a mouse. My job and my principle hobby both involve keyboard/mouse work so this can be a serious factor in my productivity. Consequently, when my mouse recently failed, I was keen to investigate some alternatives. After reading some favourable reviews, I ordered the Logitech T650.

Set up was simple enough, even downloading and installing a firmware update. It should be noted though that these tasks necessitated having a mouse; something to bear in mind if you’re switching from a broken one to the T650. No fault of Logitech, it’s very hard to do anything in Windows without a pointing device. With the drivers installed, the T650 worked straight away and the temporary mouse was disconnected.

I’d expected to find it difficult to get used to the gestures required on a touchpad like the T650. It quickly made me appreciate tasks I took for granted on a standard mouse, such as dragging/dropping and scrolling. Each of these now involves a sequence of tapping and sliding with various numbers of fingers to achieve the desired result. Surprisingly though I picked it up very quickly and it felt quite natural after a few hours use. There are some issues though, mostly relating to applications that require frequent and precise movements. For example, plotting a track on Google Earth is all but impossible due to the high volume of clicks and drags required. I also get frustrated when trying to double-click a button, only to find I've slid the pointer slightly in the process and clicked something else instead. My last issue concerns the smooth surface of the T650. It’s really nice to use when you have completely dry fingers but hot weather and humidity can make it feel sticky and less frictionless.

Despite these issues, I'm enjoying the T650 experience and accepted it as my principle device for day to day use. Logitech’s Unified receiver system makes it very easy to use this in combination with a compatible mouse so I’m going to order one for the applications that are more suited to a traditional pointing device. They will be the exception though as the T650 has greatly reduced my RSI pains and I’ll happy accept it’s minor shortcomings in return for that.

4.0 out of 5 stars A touch different, 18 April 2013
Paul B "-pb-" (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
With Windows 7 nudging PC users ever closer to a touchscreen based environment and Windows 8 virtually embracing it, it's easy to feel a bit left out if you have a bog standard non-touchscreen monitor.

Logitech's Wireless Rechargable Touchpad is one answer to the problem and works well enough as an input device for Windows.

The unit is a pleasing slim slab with one end slightly thicker than the other so that it ends up being raised on the desk. It has a single power button and USB port for charging. The package comes with a charger and small USB unit for receiving information from the pad.

There are plenty of commands, too, as long as you install the drivers. Without them the device will still function, but it only deals with the basic mouse commands. There are plenty of tricks Windows will let you do with this device, including multi touch, a quick way to swipe across options and expanding an area. It's pretty much like any smartphone or tablet screen in this respect.

There were no problems with installation or running on Windows 7 (I don't have 8 yet, so couldn't test with this) and it's certainly easier to get used to than I anticipated.

Update: Now I have a Windows 8 PC I can fully test the Touchpad on Microsoft's new OS. I started using the PC with a standard mouse and found Windows 8 just as fiddly as everyone had said, but half of this was getting used to the new interface. I'm still not a huge fan of the Metro interface, but once I started using the touchpad it made a huge difference.

Swiping with 3 fingers to go between Metro and the standard home screen was a revelation and I'm still learning the many other swipe and touch functions, though I do still find that trying to drag an icon is a bit hit and miss at times.

One thing that the product doesn't mention is that going to the keyboard and mouse icon on Metro, once this touchpad is installed, will give you short video guides to each keystroke, which are very useful for those just getting used to the device.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect to add touch control to a non touchscreen PC, 12 Jan. 2013
John Nunn (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am running a non touch screen PC with dual monitors and Windows 8. It is a bit of a pain to have to remember certain key combinations to get the same effect as some touch based gestures. BUt this very handy little touch pad adds the touch capabilities to my otherwise perfect pc.

The Logitech Touchpad is just the right size to sit by the side of my keyboard and not get in the way, and the responsiveness is very good. So far I have been able to access all of the gestures and control the PC perfectly. A really nice benefit is it uses the same Unifying wireless technology as my Logitech keyboard and mouse, so I only need the one wireless dongle in the back of my PC.

The responsiveness and control for a relatively small device is great and could act as a replacement for a mouse, but with dual 24" monitors it is almost impossible to move the cursor from one screen to the other without having to take my finger off and start again without adjusting the acceleration to a level which is unwieldy when working in fine precision for image manipulation, so a mouse is need as well for my setup.

The device is certified for Windows 8 and installs and is fully working within seconds not needing any additional drivers to be installed. The battery like is great and charging is very simple through a standard micro USB cable, and the Touchpad still works whilst charging.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for windows 8 and more practical than a touch screen for desktop work, 22 Dec. 2012
Kevin Trebell (Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Logitech wireless touchpad is a touchpad that can be used as an alternative to a mouse, giving all the usual left, right and scroll functions but also providing the gesture control that has been introduced in Windows 8. This gives an opportunity to take advantage of the swipe and touch features of the new windows interface without needing to stretch out to a touch screen when working on a desktop.

Personally I've found that a lot of what Windows 8 does begins to make more sense and feel a lot more useful when using one of these, as it has been optimised for touch controls and it's nice to be able to take advantage of that functionality without the cost of a touch screen.

It definitely takes some getting used to and I find myself using it a lot in the Windows Start (Metro) screen and starting to get used to it on the desktop but reverting back to my mouse for some things, especially games.

The pad is small and slim and comes with a USB cable to recharge the internal battery. This makes for a slim package but also means that the battery can't be easily changed when the battery eventually dies.

This comes with the Logitech unifying receiver which allows you to connect up to 6 devices to one receiver, thus keeping USB ports free for other purposes.

I find the pad to be responsive and very smooth to use. Windows 8 desktop can definitely be used comfortable without it once you get used to mouse controls (or stay in the old desktop) but this definitely adds good functionality. A good device.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended for Windows 8 early adopters, 24 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Logitech T650 Wireless Rechargeable Touchpad (Accessory)
The scrolling is very smooth and responsive. It is much like the Apple Magic trackpad, except it is more expensive and the software-hardware integration is not quite as tight (I suppose it can be fixed in software)

It makes navigating W8 very easy and, dare I say, fun. It's grown on me so much I no longer use a mouse. Using the touchpad requires sacrificing a bit of accuracy, but the benefits gained far outweigh the negatives.

It supports multi finger gestures. The build quality is very good: metal and glass.

Whilst I very much appreciate the gesture to switch between open applications, it is annoying that this is limited to modern Win 8 apps. (To switch from or to an old-school app, you must use AltTab on your keyboard). (This is something that I think only nerds will understand / tolerate)

So, the experience is delightful, mostly. You may find that you actually still require a mouse, in addition to this touchpad. That is because some manoeuvres are difficult, such as click-and-drag and right clicking.

In contrast with the Apple Magic Trackpad,, this does not take AA batteries. There is a charging port on the back of the device (a mini USB port). [So it doesn't have that bulge at the back, but it will make eventual battery replacement tricky]

5.0 out of 5 stars Feb. 2014 firmware update..., 24 Feb. 2014
A. Laird (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech T650 Wireless Rechargeable Touchpad (Accessory)
...makes this excellent. I'm using this on a Linux system and the update now makes functions available by 'tap' as well as 'press'. There's not much to say really: the build quality appears solid, it's very pleasant to use, the touch pad is a generous size, and there is a fairly comprehensive range of gestures available, along with all the standard clicks. A decent bit of kit, and a welcome alternative to a mouse.

Here is what the firmware upgrade 041.001.00038 officially adds:

With this release, the following gestures will be enabled out of the box:

Adds single tap to click
Adds double tap to double click
Adds 2-finger tap to right click
Adds 2-finger click to right click
Adds 3-finger tap to middle click
Adds 1-finger tap on right bottom corner to right-click
Adds single finger tap n' hold to left-click and drag
When mechanical click is pressed, edge-gestures are disabled

4.0 out of 5 stars A well designed premium product, 28 Feb. 2013
Tech 2.0 "impulsive gadget buyer" - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Logitech T650 is a beautifully made track pad. It comes in a nice package with an usb charging cable and unifying wireless receiver so you can integrate it with the same receiver as most other Logitech wireless products. In hand the track pad feels very solid and superbly built. I would have no concerns lugging this around with me if needed. Nothing feels flimsy or delicate. It features an on/off button to the side to conserve battery power when not in use. I managed roughly 3 weeks with it, but I am a fairly heavy daily user so I was impressed with this. Whilst charging with the cable it can still be used unless it is totally flat.

It is designed for Windows 8 and the metro touch interface. I am currently using it with windows 7, and after a few weeks I must say I am quite used to it. Learning the gestures reall speeds thing along too. Clicks are done by tapping the pad or pressing down on it.

The track pad (and indeed all Logitech mice/keyboards etc) uses the Logitech SetPoint software of which I downloaded and installed the latest version direct from their site. This was a doddle to setup and is equally easy to configure the track pad.

The track pad is fun to use, especially on a touch based interface such as windows 8. This will only get better I would imagine as app designs move to incorporate and design products that take better advantage of windows 8 features.

There are however a couple of negatives. Clicking down on the pad can be quite laboured, especially right click. And to that end dragging a box across the screen can be cumbersome.
All in all this is a premium product which is very nice to use and feels premium in hand. For me it won't replace a mouse anytime soon as I need the extra precision and control a mouse gives but none the less a well-designed premium product from Logitech that does what it is designed to do well.

Logitech T650 Wireless Rechargeable Touchpad