4.0 out of 5 stars They came back..., 26 Feb. 2013
Southville (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Les Revenants [ FRENCH ONLY ] (DVD)
A superb series but be warned, as far as I can tell the DVD does not have English subtitles.

If you don't speak French you'd be better off waiting for a UK release.

Edit (correction): An English version is coming but no date has been announced The Returned - Series 1 [DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars A slow but steady burner...must see but not at this price!, 25 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Les Revenants [ FRENCH ONLY ] (DVD)
OK - first off, I'm approximately only halfway through watching this series on swedish TV (as "Gengångare" here), so admit to not having seen it through to it's conclusion. However it's fair to say I've fallen for it hook, line and sinker.

The cinematography is sublime - definitely european in flavour but you can tell that they've been keeping an eye on a more international audience for this and watching closely the worldwide popularity of many of the HBO-type series that make it across the Atlantic to huge plaudits. This also shows I think in the storyboarding (confession 2: haven't read the book so have no point of reference for the story itself so don't flame me) with each episode focusing on the story of an individual character and how they relate to the others (no spoilers - promise).

The pace of the story is steady, giving you time to empathise with many of the damaged souls who dwell within it (those who are still alive rather than those who have 'come back'), but definitely not to the point where you lose interest. It adds to the sense of atmosphere in the sleepy town and the hot summer in which the story is set. There are plenty of hooks along the way to keep you coming back for more (HBO again or just great story telling?).

As a final compliment the musical score has been written and performed by Mogwai and marries beautifully to the cinematography giving the whole a sense of completeness.

I'm not sure I'd pay £39 for it however, but it is well worth a purchase if you can find it for less.

5.0 out of 5 stars Les Revenants (Gengångare) - do not miss!, 1 Feb. 2013
Flygess (Washington, DC, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Les Revenants [ FRENCH ONLY ] (DVD)
I am watching this on SvTPlay (Sweden) and it is one of the best TV series I have ever seen! I have not yet seen the last episode (no 8, next week) and I really hope they will not mess it up and hoping for a good ending. I think the Swedish title is really stupid (recalls bad B-movies) and "Återvändare" would have been better. I am completely hooked and cannot wait until it is released on DVD, with either Swedish or English sub titles. It is definitely a MUST see series!

Les Revenants [ FRENCH ONLY ]