on 19 July 2005
Unbelievable, but believable. Sad and outraged is what you will feel. Unable to put the book down as you challenge her to get through the pain and torment to live a fulfilling life.
I also recommend: Nightmares Echo and Little Prisoner
on 16 June 2003
i bought this book full of anticipation, and was very disappointed. To be honest i could have done better myself! the tragic tale was written in the style of tabloid journalism, and huge chunks of the girl's life were left unexplained and unclarified. i was moved by the story, but felt the writer did not do justice to a woman who has suffered terrible sins. Possibly the worst biographical account i have ever read - bar those from Bella magazine!
on 14 October 2009
I agree with the other poorly rated review, this book was not well written at all. Although I felt extremely sad for the person portrayed in this book, I felt that the author did not do the story justice.
on 1 September 2014
This is not my usual choice of book but actually found this to be a worthy choice. As is often the case, the true stories sometimes beggar belief and this one certainly does. For a child to be sold by her own father into a loveless marriage and subsequent abuse is heart wrenching to say the least but the victim's strength and courage eventually leads her to find her own inner peace.
on 8 February 2014
This book is for those who can stomach the truth of a world where one group of people enjoys a power the other group seems powerless to change. We would love to pretend we live in a world of equality. We would love to think the only women who suffer are those poor third world victims (yes I know we don't say third world anymore). This story tells a sad truth of a society supposedly modern, but still suffering from sexism.

Every story that speaks for the voiceless and tells the silenced stories should be told loudly. Everyone should read them. Discuss them. Deal with their sobering reality. This is an important story told well and worth reading--to reflect and to discuss and to pass on. Thank you for speaking up Nuala, and thank you, Sean, for listening.
on 20 April 2014
This is very corny and difficult to believe mainly because of the way it is written, reminiscent of tabloid journalism. It is very repetitive and because it is not written by the person who experienced the events, it just doesn't ring true. For example we know straight away something awful is going to happen to Lassie because of the way his love for Nuala ( ridiculous name) is mentioned again and again.

It is really terrible what happened to her and her father and husband were truly evil, but she never took the options open to her to escape, instead stating what she intended to do (jump out of the window/ take an overdose etc) to the very people she should have been wary of.
on 11 November 2014
This is the true story of a young girls nightmare and horror that one would expect not even to read in the fiction section. The abuse this child and young woman lived with not just day by day but hour by hour. The constant fear she lived in would have made someone go insane. The strength this young girl had was and is beyond what some could imagine. I will not tell the story in this review as it is told with simplicity in an easy to read format. Although what you read is hard to take in. A must read that is why I have given it 5 stars.
on 23 October 2014
Prepare to have your heart broken and to wonder how 2 men could possibly stoop so low for the sake of money and sex! Then cheer and marvel at the bravery of a little Irish girl to withstand the utterly degrading brutality and finally escape to freedom. I wish the very best of luck and love to this lady and hope that she does finally find the peace she craves. I fully understand her inability to forgive. I myself survived 30years in an abusive marriage and I also cannot find it in me to do so either. My heart cries with you.
on 21 December 2015
I felt this book could have been really good but for the person who wrote it. I feel there was no emotion in the book simply because she was telling someone else's story. I think if the victim had penned this book it would have been much better because we would have heard how she felt from her own mouth. It's not the authors fault. She could not possibly know how the victim felt meaning she wrote it as a piece. The author is an excellent writer, that shines through, just not so good at writing other people's stories. Sorry
on 22 October 2013
The story was written in as honest and factual a way as possible. Although not comfortable in parts to read it was also satisfying as the story inevitably led to nuala's escape. It was very sad but true that after such dreadful early life experiences no-one can really let go completely. One can fully understand her bitterness even hatred to the end of her husband's life and the relief after it but that she still will carry that with her forever. An excellent book!!