5.0 out of 5 stars Strongbow
Published on 2 Nov. 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Who was Strongbow?
Who was Strongbow? I had often wondered since seeing the magnificent painting "The wedding of Strongbow and Aoife" at the National Gallery in Dublin. I knew his name was Richard de Clare, the Earl of Pembroke and a Norman knight, I knew when he landed in Ireland and at whose invitation - but little else. I certainly did not know the story of Aoife.
I had...
Published on 12 Sept. 2001 by Chorizo D'Horreur

5.0 out of 5 stars Strongbow, 2 Nov. 2000
By A Customer
This book makes you relive the ages when the Normans had control over Ireland. It tells the story of Richard De Clare and Aoife MccMurrrough from their childhood to their dying moments. As you read about the epic battles in a struggle for power, learn how things were done back then and share the chapters as Aoife and Richard tell you about their hard times, this book will leave your face amongst the page and you hands gripped on the pages until the end.

3.0 out of 5 stars Who was Strongbow?, 12 Sept. 2001
I had already read Llywelyn's Lion of Ireland (the story of Brian Boru) which is excellent. Despite this being a children's book I had to read it, and compulsive reading it is too.
It is told in a biographical form alternating between accounts from Aoife and Strongbow. It works very well, you really get a feeling for their personalities. Sometimes you have to remind yourself that it is a historical novel and not a history.
I loved it. I will be seeking further information on the subject and persuading my kids to read this book too. I have also invested in a copy of her children's book Boru - hope it is as good.

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed this book, 26 Jun. 2015
I enjoyed this book, but I got the impression it was aimed at a younger audience, teenagers maybe. So i sent it to my friends daughter after I had finished it, but she hasnt said whether she has read it or not, so cant tell you what a teenager thought.

Strongbow: The Story of Richard and Aoife