5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch stereo as you'd expect from Pioneer
Published on 23 Jan. 2013 by Ballard

3.0 out of 5 stars Can fault sound but radio signal isnt great and it just keeps searching for channels
Can fault sound but radio signal isnt great and it just keeps searching for channels. Good for mp3 but not radio in my opinion
Published 4 months ago by John Blood

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch stereo as you'd expect from Pioneer, 23 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Pioneer RDS Tuner with Illuminated Front USB and WMA/MP3 Playback (Electronics)
Really brilliant stereo. I bought it to replace the old casette player/radio in my Mk1 Punto after getting tired of using FM transmitters to play my MP3s. I had been a little nervous about changing the stereo, having never done it before, but as with everything these days, you can find countless guides online to help you through. After a bit of research and sourcing some ISO stereo release keys (cost about 99p) I took the plunge.

I was prepared to mess around with wiring for hours to connect it up, but thankfully the ISO connector shipped with the stereo fitted my Punto connectors and that was that. The only thing I didn't realise was that I would need an aerial adaptor (ISO to DIN, cost 70p). Fitting went ok except that the mounting sleeve, which is already attached to the stereo, was about 2mm too lean on either side so the stereo wasn't seated firmly (if I'd had to emergency stop anyway). In the end I didn't bother taking the sleeve off and using my FIAT one - wasn't actually sure it would fit and could have damaged the pioneer one on removal, so I did a good old Heath Robinson bodge and stuck a load of insulation tape on either side. End result, it held the stereo as firmly as the FIAT sleeve and the tape was hidden at the sides!

Verdict on the stereo is that it is exceptional. It looks amazing with all the lighting, the text and menus all scroll slickly and it has fantastic sound. Even with my default speakers it sounded hugely better than my old radio. It also has a lot of advanced equaliser settings, base adjustments and so on, which really make a difference even without an amp or subwoofer. I'm mainly using USB memory sticks to play my MP3s but you can connect just about any device through the USB port or AUX port, even your phone.

Just to note if you've got a car like a Punto which has no accessory position on the ignition and you have to turn the radio off manually, and you're worried about this type of "always on" radio draining your battery, through the system menu you can set power save mode. When this is on you can turn the stereo on and off by holding the SRC button. Removing the fascia also achieves the same thing. I always remove it anyway for safety, but a lot of people don't like to bother. If your battery is disconnected, power save will be reset, so if you find holding "SRC" doesn't turn off the stereo then you need to turn power saving back on via the system menu. By default it is off so needs to be enabled after install.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Stereo, 7 Nov. 2013
F. Mcguire (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
I bought this stereo to fit into my 1999 Toyota Yaris as the built-in radio stopped working. I followed an online guide for installing it and it took no more than half an hour. I had already bought a converter for the connections at the back.

I was delgihted when I turned on the ignition and the radio worked. However, I was even more delighted when I started using the radio. It looks fantastic and sounds great with the very basic speakers in the car. It was really easy to set up and save my favourite radio stations. I then got a USB key and saved a load of albums onto it. I plugged it in and it picked them all up instantly. It was really easy to browse through the music and it displays artist/track title information when playing. Overall, really impressed especialy at this price.

I used to hate driving the Yaris but now I am looking forward to journeys with loads of great music on a tiny USB key. I was looking at getting a CD player for some reason, but so glad I didn't and went with this.

Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfect with my IPhone 4, 11 Sept. 2013
I wanted a stereo that would work well with an IPhone. This charges, allows control of tracks, shuffle and play/pause. It also displays song names, albums, track number etc and also displays what the Stitcher Radio app is playing.

It does look and feel a bit light and cheap however once the display and buttons light up, it looks better than I expected. The unit performs perfect so I'll still give 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pioneer MVH-150U RDS Tuner Front USB and WMA/MP3 Playback, 11 Nov. 2013
Used for several weeks in the car now.Sound quality v/good. Folder negotiation seems easy.Keeps all its settings.
(If you get the lives the right way around). Still have the old stereo.Will put that back if I change car, as I liks this one
so much !!. Would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good product, 2 Feb. 2013
Ian Stansfield "IS, UK" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This is a really nice stereo, with a great sound. The ability to plug in either a USB stick, or an iPod into the USB socket on the front works flawlessly; the Pioneer unit recognises the embedded ID3 tags associated with the mp3 file on either USB stick or ipod, and you get artist, album name and track name displayed on the unit (note I used iTunes to export the mp3 files - not sure if the ID3 tags would automatically be associated with the file otherwise).

Using a 16 Gb stick, costing arond £7 at the time of writing, I could fit on about 110 albums,each in its own folder which I named as the artist and album name. The Pioneer unit recognises the folder name and displays it, allowing you to quickly scroll to the music you want.

Fitting the unit was easy in my car (Fiat Panda) because the unit comes with a converter cable allowing the standard ISO connector that many cars seem to use to plug straight into the converter cable, which in turn plugs into the back of the Pioneer unit. The physical fit was good - I had to remove the old metal sleeve the previous unit was using from the car stereo slot, then pop in the Pioneer metal sleeve, bend the tags to prevent it being too easily removed, then slot the Pioneer unit in - voila!

The radio gives excellent reception, tuning is easy. Navigating around the menus takes a little getting used to, but is not problematic. Overall, would recommend without hesitation - goodbye using and scratching CDs in the car!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound quality, 8 Jan. 2014
Works as it should; the USB sound quality is particularly good. My only quibble is that while driving, it is easy to push the main control knob when trying to rotate it. But there is a "back" button to undo that. I would recommend this unit

5.0 out of 5 stars The best stereo I've ever owned, and also the cheapest!, 18 Nov. 2014
The best stereo I've ever owned, and also the cheapest!

Literally cannot fault. Fitting was extremely easy and instructions are (probably) clear enough for ICE novices. The unit its self has a low depth profile, maximising the space behind for the wiring loom adapters. Heat production seems to be very low.

Currently running without an amplifier using stock speakers (Vauxhall Tigra) -- although I plan to upgrade in the future, the sound quality and volume increase over the stock are phenomenal. Yes, apparently those cheap card-coned stock Vauxhall speakers can sound fairly respectable when run from a decent head unit. The two RCA outputs on the back are a nice addition which should make adding an external amp easy.

The controls are intuitive and easy to use; a host of nice features are built in, including pre-set equalisers, bass boost, loudness and subwoofer controls. I'm told that it will also integrate with the vehicle's CAN-BUS steering wheel & dimmer controls for anyone that wants to shell out £50 for the adapter to use these features. Ipod integration via the USB port works far better than on any other systems I've tried.

I've had 4-5 head units in my time, all previous models being Sony/Kenwood/JVC priced £70-100. Apart from the lack of a CD player (which I don't miss in the slightest) this little unit tops them all in every aspect.

TL;DR: Unless you want to build a serious double-DIN touchscreen-based powerhouse system with lots of bells and whistles, I would thoroughly recommend this product :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good stereo for not much money., 1 Jun. 2013
For sub-£50 I was expecting to have to buy a no-name car stereo when my old one died, so I was happy to find I could get a brand like Pioneer for the money. Lack of CD or cassette did not concern me - the Aux input and USB port are exactly what I needed..

Fitting it was delayed briefly as I found I needed an adapter to make the plugs match the wiring in my Toyota. Also the mounting screws needed a different thread to my old Toyota stereo, so I had to find some suitable ones by trial and error. It would have been nice to find some packed with it - but at this price I'm not complaining too much. Anyway, after that, fitting was completed in no more than 5 minutes - despite the fact that I had never fitted one before.

I can't speak highly enough about the way this thing plays. I'm using it through my standard factory-fit speakers so it sound much the same as before, but the radio reception is really good. I live in rural Wales and the FM signal is very weak in some areas, but this radio pulls a clean signal better than any car stereo I've had. Impressive.

The USB player is great. Bung in a stick of memory and you can scroll through each album. The display reads the MP3 tags so you can see the track, album and artist info. Sound quality is great. The ability to match the level of MP3s to the radio is especially useful.

A few negatives - but all very minor. For a start, I'm not that keen on the appearance - just a bit gaudy for me. The USB port is on the right, so rather close to the steering wheel and gear lever. It's all too easy to bash the stick accidentally while driving, and I'm not sure the connection would last too long before breaking. I solved that one by spending a tenner on a very compact USB stick. It sticks out less than a centimeter and solves the problem completely, and holds over 50 albums, so I'm a happy bunny.

For the money I really can't fault it, so it's a big five stars from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars fitted in 10 minutes, 11 Feb. 2014
With the right clips (and the coax adapter) old radio out and new one in my old old old Peugeot 407 took 5 minutes. Spent the next week having to retune it as it lost radio stations every time I switched ignition. Swapped the yellow and black wires over (the other 5 minutes) and it now works fine. Manual is a bit rubbish but aren't they all !
Can now while away the time listening to radio 4 news program on why Amazon don't pay tax :)

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 28 Oct. 2013
great works fine ps installed it my self so easy but after intalled i had problam which all radio channel i stored was deseppering i phonned to pioner customer service they told me scare cable came with stereo middle of it there are red n yellow small nbreak point you need to swop them to stop loosing your missing radio channel each time when you start you car thanx amazon great buy