on 31 May 2013
I won't comment on the music. This album - and the other three in this series of releases - were recorded in the 70's and have stood the test of time. For me they're essential, and I've owned each of them on CD two times before (making this the third).

I did however want to give a heads up about this specific release. On the face of it this looks like a Japanese Mini LP release. When you consider they have the audacity to claim they are "audiophile" releases, you have to wonder what could possibly go wrong. Well, quite a lot actually.

My first problem was not insurmountable - the sleeves themselves. These are rather cheap and nasty, with glue residue inside which prevents the discs going in properly unless they're placed just so. Japanese style then, but not the quality.

The second problem is by far the most significant - these releases (yes, all of them) are tinny, shrill, and thin. I happen to be listening on an audiophile system (Linn) and let me tell you, there's nothing "audiophile" about them. They are by far the worse these have sounded on CD. Do yourself a favor and get the vastly superior The Island Years which has a) Better sound; and b) an actual booklet with useful information in it (not to mention a couple bonus tracks!)

Avoid these new reissues. I've been burned, but you needn't be.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse