5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase!
My hubby and I were a bit apprehensive about buying a soundbar, but went for this model. We are delighted with it as we sometimes cant pick up conversations in films and on TV but now we can hear everthing clearly and the music is great!
Published 19 months ago by janet birchall

tl,dr; Good, but not great. Try one with a proper external sub, and inbuilt tweeters.

Our Samsung 40 inch TV is a great TV.. but sound isnt very rich.. loud enough, but the high notes and low notes arent very good.

Published 11 months ago by Gray

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase!, 13 Mar 2013
This review is from: Philips HTL2100/12 Soundbar Speaker 40W with Integrated Subwoofer (New for 2013) (Electronics)
Only grumble is we had to buy the connection after trying to work out which one we needed before we could use it. Couldnt the connections be included with the machine when purchased, even if they adjust the price accordingly.
We dont know anyone who has one but we are pleased with the quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars great value, 13 Aug 2013
I did not realise how much I was missing before I bought the soundbar. Neat and natty but not ostentatious.

4.0 out of 5 stars Philips Sound Speaker, 27 April 2013
I was impressed with the design, it sits in front of the t.v.and looks as if it is part of the t.v. stand. The sound is very good and setting it up was easy

5.0 out of 5 stars Philips soundbar, 21 May 2013
After the 1st soundbar was faulty the replacement was perfect. It works well!,. The sound is crisp and clear just what I wanted

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear voices, 2 Aug 2013
At last we can understand the words from American films & shows without turning the volume up too loud so our neighbours will now not know what we are watching..

4.0 out of 5 stars Philips HTL2100/12 Soundbar - great value and great sound, 1 April 2014
I have read all the reviews before buying this Soundbar, including the negative ones and have to say I am quite impressed with it. I like the look of it, the fabric speaker front and the unit sits perfectly under the TV on the glass cabinet. It is very easy to set up although there is NO digital optical cable supplied, which adds to the cost and delayed the digital set up. That said, the cost for the cable is not a huge expense and having read an article that you should never spend more than 10% of the cost of the unit on a cable, I went for a Fusal Pro Install Digital Optical Cable. I am fully aware of the arguments around cheaper cables v the more expensive range but having read extensive reviews on Soundbars, somebody had a poor experience with the very cheap cables and recommend Fusal. I have to say I am impressed with the cable, although I having nothing else to compare it to, the sound has improved immensely It is very clear, sharp and quite crisp, I was also pleased with music playback and clarity of sound.

The Soundbar is recommended for TV's up to 37" and the sound is a considerable improvement from my Samsung 37" TV speakers. The Soundbar projects its sound and is forward facing. I find the quality of sound from the Soundbar to be really good and it fills the room, that said I do not have the biggest front room, so if you had a huge or double room then I would imagine some of the sound quality would be lost. I found the remote to work perfectly in my room, although I concur with previous reviews there is a short delay before the command is acted upon. Unfortunately, it is a little difficult to determine what volume level or bass/treble settings are on the soundbar as there is no physical guide on the unit or TV screen. The only area of debate is the surround sound, which on first listening does sound rather tinny with an echo, however after persevering you get used to it. But even if you chose not to use the Surround Sound facility the general sound is still very good, especially as it has an inbuilt sub-woofer with noticeable base definition.

In summary it is a good value for money Soundbar, which suits my Samsung 37" TV. I have no doubt compered to some larger screen TVs with much better internal speakers then it may not improve or even compare to the internal speaker sound but I can only speak as I find. I am really pleased with it and at £54.99 it was a bargain from Amazon Market Place. It is also a much cheaper option that a full surround sound system and a great starter Soundbar. You get what you pay for and I am sure there a better Soundbars out there, albeit at a greater cost but I really pleased with my purchase and would recommend it to others.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works nicely recommend it, 5 Nov 2013
It would be nicer if connecting wires were supplied as i had to order them separately which inflates the price

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly richer sound than my TV.. but not as rich as I had hoped., 7 Nov 2013

Bought this to improve that.. and it has... but not by much.. The low tones are a bit deeper, and the high notes are slightly better... But the mid tones sound a little muddy... Not sure I like it much... Not enough range or clarity...

Basically, you need one with a proper subwoofer, and with tweeters I think... This is a good product if your TV sound is terrible... but if the TV sound is OK, then to improve your sound, you will need a better speaker than this.

Also, the remote doesnt work from our sofa to the speaker.. I have to stand up and walk half across the room for it to register.. erm.. not good..

On a good note, the size and shape and style is nice, and fits perfectly under the TV... and the connectivity is pretty good..

1.0 out of 5 stars Basic, simple external speaker, but Surround is poor/echoey, 17 May 2013
C. Smith (London) - See all my reviews
Very simple to set up and install (does need cables) and minimal in design, which I liked
Quality in stereo was on par with inbuilt TV speakers
But taking it from stereo into Surround mode makes it sound like its been dropped into a cave
Echo-ey and no way to adapt settings to stop it echoing, distracting, annoying and ruins the whole point

Helpfile suggest turning off the TV speakers if it echoes, except they were, and the echo obviously comes from the speaker
A pity, but I'll go back to non-soundbar setup for a while so I don't sound like I'm watching TV in a cave...

5.0 out of 5 stars Sound Bar., 25 May 2013
D. Jones "SNOWDON" (BIRMINGHAM) - See all my reviews
Very easy to put together, even for a non-geek such as myself. It does require two cables, however; an optical sound cable and a gold plated HDMI cable (for best transmission of signal). The unit is easy to use with the remote and the quality of sound is first rate. Why pay more?