5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Amazing

Published 13 months ago by ChoolieT

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Amazing, 18 Sep 2012
S. Lacey (Annalong) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Selkie (Orkney Selkies Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This book was amazing! The only problem was I couldn't just sit down and read it straight through cause life was getting in the way! The whole time I was at work or out I was thinking of how long it would be before I could get back to this book! It was on my mind constantly! I love that Maggie (the heroine) is so down on her luck at the start, it makes her even more relatable then most heroines cause it makes her even more real. She's really been through the ringer, losing her job, her fiance cheating on her and her Nan dying all in quite a short space of time, not to mention having lost her parents early on in life in a tragic accident. She's at her lowest and has lost all faith. Cue the arrival of Calan Kirk in her life! He's a selkie and I love that her Nan knew how broken she would be and how much she'd need to have her faith in men and life restored so she stole a Selkie pelt and found the loop hole that would allow her to have Calan help Maggie in order to please Nora (Maggies nan).
Calan is a little biased against humans cause of something that happened to a friend of his but Maggie pretty much restores his faith in humans cause she wants to return his pelt without expecting anything in return but she can't cause she doesn't know where her nan hid it. I think Nora was part of restoring his faith in a sense as well cause she wasn't thinking of herself when she took his pelt, she was thinking of her granddaughter, not to mention she gave him a chance to get it back without fulfilling his obligations by playing cards for it!
I love how their relationship grows as they look for the pelt and he tries to get her to believe in him. His brothers were pretty amazing as well, even if we did only see them very briefly! All six of them! That is a family gathering I would kill to be at! There was definetly a twist at the end that I didn't expect! I really hope there will be more Selkie adventures as I love the story and would love to learn more about the rest of Calan's brothers.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm off to Orkney to find me a Selkie man, 11 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Selkie (Orkney Selkies Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I purchased this book as I was asked to read and review book 2 in the series, and although they are stand alone books I wanted to enjoy the whole series. I would like to thank Rosanna for writing this series, I'm a big fan of paranormal fiction, and this book took a different approach making it so perfect! The characters are brilliant, sexy and fun and I loved them! I have recommended to all my friends and I recommend it to you

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 10 Nov 2012
Rosanna Leo
The Selkie

From the title, you can guess the book contains mythological creatures, and hot ones at that. Although I didn't know much about Selkies before reading this book, I did gain an interest after finishing it.

Maggie is going through a tough time, she loses her job and catches her fiancé with his secretary. Her dreams become filled with one man, Calan, what she doesn't realise is that his dreams are filled with her as well. When her gran die, she travels to Scotland and comes face to face with the guy of her dreams.

Incredibly well written and very descriptive, I was completely drawn into this book. Maggie didn't just fall for Calan, which makes the book more intriguing, and the reader gets to travel along as she comes to terms with some of her issues.

3.0 out of 5 stars Its OK but I wouldn't recommend, 19 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Selkie (Orkney Selkies Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I bought this as I live in Orkney and thought it would be good to read. Unfortunately the lack of research into the location bothered me so much I found it difficult to concentrate on what story there was. Actually, there was no story.... The plot was based in Orkney, outside Kirkwall to be precise, but the descriptions made little sense and I found it annoying. The names of the local folk who had apparently lived in Orkney all their lives also was more Highland than Orcadian. There were some interesting raunchy scenes and a bit of a twist at the end and this did spice the book up a bit but all in all, it was like one of those bad films you watch but you have to watch til the end just to see what happens.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC READ !, 7 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Selkie (Orkney Selkies Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
The Selkie, what an absolutely wonderful story. I had no idea of these Scottish Myths, so reading about a seal shifter was a refreshing change and very interesting, as I enjoy anything to do with folklore and mythology.
I loved the heroine Maggie, bless her could anything more go wrong in her life, such a believable character and one a lot of women can relate to. With the sudden death of her gran she has to leave Canada and head for Orkney. Her gran leaves her a cryptic note and things get bizarre from here on in, especially when she meets the very handsome Calan Kirk. Calan claims to be a Selkie man, a shifter, but that can't be right, can it ? Those were just fairy stories gran told when Maggie was a little girl, weren't they ? The story takes you on wonderful journey, betrayal, romance with a little erotica, intrigue, murder and mystery along with a dash of humour, all kept me turning the page to find out what was happening next. I was completely surprised by the culprit, never suspected that.
I can't wait to read more about The Selkies, downloaded the next book already.

I highly recommend this fun read.

5.0 out of 5 stars TOTALLY AMAZING !, 6 Jan 2013
Emsii (Isle of Wight) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Selkie (Orkney Selkies Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
read this on kindle 5 months ago and still remember how totally awesome it was. i just wouldnt get on with life. i kept my head in this and live it until i finished. its totally amazing! the selkie guy is totally hunky wow and real sexy! its so real you really lose yourself in it and live in it and you dont want to come back to the normal world. the ending is truly amazing ! this is one hell of an amazing book! you got to get it or you really have missed out on something so so wonderful x

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT!!!, 16 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Selkie (Orkney Selkies Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I was given this book by the author in return for an honest review.

What a truly wonderful story. You have Maggie who is down on her luck more so since her beloved Gran dies, who meets the dashingly good looking an charming Calan, who wants nothing more than to make her happy but along the way there are a few surprises an twists an turns.
I'm not normally a romance kinda girl but I thoroughly enjoyed reading this and just couldn't put it down!!!
I love the use of the "Selkie" myth it just made the book have that little extra :D

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm converted, 14 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Selkie (Orkney Selkies Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I admit until Wednesday I had no idea what a Selkie was. When a girl recommended I try this book, I had my doubts. A seal shifter didn't sound very appealing. But from the first page I was sucked into this book and I immediately connected with Maggie. Then when Calan strolled onto the page like a sexy Scottish melt-your-knickers-off god, I didn't care what he was! Rosanna Leo's The Selkie sucked me into the myth and made me a believer. She has a wonderful writing style that engaged me from page one and I'd highly recommend anyone--even those as sceptical as I was--read this book. The growing love and steamy tension between Calan and Maggie kept me turning the page even when it was past time for me to go to sleep. I couldn't put it down! Can't wait to read more of Rosanna's books.

5.0 out of 5 stars A delicious blend of erotic fantasy and Celtic mythology., 18 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Selkie (Orkney Selkies Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I knew I was going to love Rosanna Leo's latest offering the moment I read the product description and I was right.

Maggie Collins is through with men especially since she witnessed her fiance's secretary performing fellatio on him. Heart-broken Maggie flees to Orkney to help deal with her grandmother, Nora's estate. She meets Calan Kirk in person but she has been dreaming of him for weeks.

Nora left Maggie tantalising clues to the whereabouts of her inheritance and warns her that some people will stop at nothing to get their hands on it.

Ms Leo's rich evocative description brings the story to life as she explores the desperate longings between Maggie and Calan as she struggles to come to terms with his true nature. She draws the reader into the plot and brings theme panting through to the final shocking conclusion.

This is a delicious blend of erotic desire and Celtic mythology which offers pure escapism from reality at least for a time. This book will stay with you for a long time after you click by the last page.

The dialogue and characterisation is mesmerising. It will have all real women panting for a Selkie lover of their own. Ms Leo really hits the g-spot with this and I wish her every success with it. I can't wait to read more of her work.

The Selkie (Orkney Selkies Book 1)