5.0 out of 5 stars Mehldau trio trademark formula
Published 22 months ago by A. Zona

3.0 out of 5 stars jolemor
This is a surprising title to be included in the 100 Best Jazz Recordings - perhaps not the title so much as the jazz artists involved I wasn't that enamoured with the jazz produced by the Meldau Trio, but I might get used to it in time
Published 11 months ago by Mr. J. L. Morgan

5.0 out of 5 stars Mehldau trio trademark formula, 3 Oct 2012
A. Zona - See all my reviews
This review is from: Where Do You Start (Audio CD)
The formula of this album is the same of some of the most engaging releases from the Brad Mehldau trio: rock-pop songs, jazz standards and original compositions (actually just one titled "Jam" in this case) all mixed together and played with intensity and empathy by Mehldau, Grenadier and Ballard. The result is 78 minutes of beautiful music that is groovy and lyrical, romantic and passionate. No surprises or adventures towards new territories, just the "classic" good things from the Mehldau trio for an album that in my opinion comes close to the excellent 2005 Day Is Done, sitting just a little behind it. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 13 Nov 2012
Mr. D. Bain "Dave Bain" (Nottingham England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Where Do You Start (Audio CD)
I'm a huge fan of Mehldau and buy all his albums as a matter of course. I know before listening that I am going to like the album as everything he puts out is worth a listen. I particularly like his trio albums, and having listened to the album 'ODE' which was released earlier this year, and which I love I pretty much expected more of the same with this one. However after hearing ths album a few times I honestly think he has raised the bar yet again. This is a brilliant album, 78 minutes of absolute genius. Unlike 'Ode', which contained all self penned tunes, this one offers 10 covers and only one original. Many of the covers are very familiar to me by other artists, such as Hey Joe (made famous by Hendrix), Nick Drake's 'Time has told me' and Elvis Costello's 'Baby plays around' and Sonny Rollins 'Airegin'. Other tracks I am not so familiar with include 'Brownie speaks' by Clifford Brown and 'Holland' by Sufjan Stevens. Each and every track is outstanding, the trio are all on top form. Every track is so good that it is difficult to pick out any that stand out from the rest. My current personal favourites after having heard the CD about half a dozen times are Baby plays around (just over 10 minutes long and you don't want it to stop) and Hey Joe. However I have no doubt that other tracks will take over as favourites after a few more listens. I would rate this as one of Mehldau's best ever albums and my personal album of the year so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent accessible Mehldau, 5 Jan 2013
N. Smith "Neil" (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Where Do You Start (Audio CD)
I love almost everything Brad Mehldau plays and this album is no exception. Listening to Hey Joe as I write, and find myself playing air piano on the desktop (and I have never played a piano!)
Covers are often a good way into "jazz" for non-afficionados and I would suggest this album would be a good introduction to Brad Mehldau for anyone uncertain if they like his music.
Baby Plays Around is just gorgeous

5.0 out of 5 stars One of his best, 31 Dec 2012
Mr. Robert Nunn (Staffordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Where Do You Start (Audio CD)
Unlike some of Brad Mehldau's recordings, which perhaps lose their way from time to time, this is consistently enjoyable. Some clever arrangements and interpretations, particularly of Hey Joe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous - the trio at their best, 10 April 2014
This review is from: Where Do You Start (Audio CD)
Hey Joe rocks. And the rest is brilliant also. This album is as good as anything so far and a must for anyone collecting Brad Mehldau.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great jazz for all music lovers, 30 Aug 2013
This review is from: Where Do You Start (Audio CD)
Brad manages to lift you up only as he knows: engaging and upbeat, with a true respect to jazz values

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant piano trio jazz, 18 Aug 2013
This review is from: Where Do You Start (Audio CD)
This album is really great. I love the way Mehldau has chosen modern songs and turned them into "standards". It has lovely reflective tracks and upbeat grooves. It is rare in being comparable with Keith Jarrett or John Law. I liked all the tracks and if you appreciate contemporary piano jazz I think you will also.
It includes a version of Hey Joe, which was covered by Martin, Majeski and Wood years ago, but this reallyis the piano version of the Jimi Hendrix version. This CD has been in my car CD player since I bought it, it's all good.

3.0 out of 5 stars jolemor, 28 Aug 2013