4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoy the laughter!
This may not be the best film ever made, or event the best Disney film ever made, but my 4 (almost 5) year old son loves it, possibly more than the original ("a tiny winy better" apparently!).

Published on 12 Feb. 2009 by A Nonny Mouse

3.0 out of 5 stars RTN was great! *whispers* ...but the original is better...
The title of this review says it all. I think Return to Neverland is an enchanting and magical sequel to Disney's original Peter Pan, but it definitely wasn't perfect.
Published on 15 Sept. 2002 by Brittany Sousa

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoy the laughter!, 12 Feb. 2009

In essence the story is about Wendy's daughter, Jane, who is growing up during the Blitz, having been asked by her father (who has gone off to war) to look after her mummy and little brother Danny. Wendy takes this very seriously and forgets how to be a child, insisting that Peter Pan and Never Land don't exist. So, to cut a long story short this film is about learning to be a child again, and learning to believe.

I could watch my son watching this film for ever. He giggles for at least half of the film, totally entranced by the antics of the "Lost Boys" and Peter Pan getting one over on Captain Hook. It is one of the most enchanting sights I have ever seen. So, I guess what I'm saying is I don't mind if this doesn't live up to the original. I'm not watching it to see the film, but to bask in my son's enjoyment of it.

3.0 out of 5 stars RTN was great! *whispers* ...but the original is better..., 15 Sept. 2002
Brittany Sousa (Phoenix, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
The biggest problem with it is that the plot is entirely predictable. Wendy grows up and has two children: a girl, Jane, and a boy, Danny. World War II causes Jane, the eldest, to forget about "childish things" such as Peter Pan and Neverland, but her brother still believes. Then one night, Captain Hook arrives and captures Jane, mistaking her for Wendy, and takes her back to Neverland. There's more to the story, but the ending is typical: Jane believes in Peter Pan once again. (But really, what other plot could Disney use for a Peter Pan sequel?) I thought that the original was better plot-wise because it was based on the original story, though I must admit that the special effects, coloring, and sound used in Return to Neverland somewhat made up for the story.
It looks like Disney used a computer to animate Tinkerbell's pixie dust, making it look more realistic. I also liked how they cast leaf-shadows when the characters were standing under trees and such. It makes them look more life-like. But the animation isn't perfect; I think Disney could have done better. If you pay close attention, you'll notice that some characters appear to be cross-eyed or much more cartoonish than they should. (e.g., Mickey Mouse looks more cartoonish than Snow White because Mickey is a talking mouse in red shorts and Snow White is simply an animated human.) This is another reason why I like the original better: everything might look less 3-D than the sequel, but you can tell the Disney animators spent more time making sure everything was perfect.
I also noticed that Peter, Hook, Tinkerbell, and the Lost Boys's personalities seem to slightly differ from the original. Peter, Tinkerbell, and the Lost Boys are generally much more playful -- Tinkerbell actually does things like blowing raspberries and making faces at Hook. The crocodile has been replaced by a giant octopus (which I seriously don't understand), and Hook acts more afraid of it than the croc. It was also a bit of a disappointment that the mermaids were in only one scene and the Indians, John, and Michael Darling weren't mentioned at all, unless you count the opening sequence (which was actually one of the best parts of the movie).
My point: Return to Neverland may not be the best Disney sequel yet (I believe that was Toy Story 2), but it's still a very good movie.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good sequel, 25 Aug. 2007
Mr Chips (Newport, South Wales) - See all my reviews
I was more than a little wary to buy this very belated sequel to Disney's original classic, Peter Pan. Such a long time had elapsed that I felt sure that it would prove to be nothing more than a poor production aimed to make as much money as possible with minimum effort. But I was wrong...

In Return to Neverland, Wendy is all grown up and has children of her own. She tells them stories of Peter Pan, which delight her son but which her daughter, Jane, comes to resent. On the eve of the children's evacuation to the country (the story is set during the Blitz), Jane finds herself in Neverland and meets all the major characters from the original: Tinkerbell, the Lost Boys, Captain Hook, Smee, and of course, Peter Pan himself. The animation and vocalisations are both excellent and good imitations of the old film.

The story seems to be unconnected to J.M. Barrie, the author of Peter Pan, but it is still entertaining and at only 70 mins, it is just the right length of time to keep the little ones enthralled without their losing interest. However, the songs are distinctly out of place, having a modern style that is not consistent with the 1940's context. That said, I would definitely recommend Return to Neverland to any fans of the original Disney movie.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoy the laughter!, 12 Feb. 2009

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the original but kids should love it, 29 April 2005
By A Customer
No, it is not as good as the first but it is nearly impossible to follow a classic. However, my son loved it so what more do you need - it made him laugh and he has happily watched it multiple times. If you are an adult I am sure you can pick holes in it but I don't think the makers were expecting its audience to analyse changes to the characters!

4.0 out of 5 stars Jane meets Peter ( not Tarzan), 22 Feb. 2009
C. Mcdowell "dancing queen" (Co. Down N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
I bought this to watch with my 4year old grand-daughter who had enjoyed Peter Pan. We both thoroughly enjoyed it---just lacking the great songs in the original. Jane is a non-believer in all that fairytale stuff and has to be all grown up and sensible as there is a war on. Jane has a choppy hair style and as my grand-daughter recently took her craft scissors to hers it made it very relevant. Now for my sins I have to act out the story alternating between being captain Hook and Peter Pan!!! Not easy doing a sword fight with yourself.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Second Visit with Peter, 31 Dec. 2009
Mark Baker (Santa Clarita, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
While things haven't changed in Neverland, it's been years in our world. Wendy has grown up and has a daughter of her own. Jane (Harriet Owen) doesn't share her mother's fantasy world, however. As a young girl in London during World War II, she is all practicality and no fun.

But things change when she becomes the pawn in Captain Hook's (Corey Burton) latest plot to catch Peter Pan (Blayne Weaver). Hook thinks he's kidnapped Wendy, but Peter doesn't seem to care. He is excited to have Jane on the island. But Jane only wants to return home. Will she find a way? Will Hook get his ultimate revenge on Peter Pan?

As much as I love the original movie, I have been reluctant to watch this one. It looked like too much of a retread to me. And I was right. Oh, they tried to change things up some. And Jane's journey from cynic to faith is fun. But the Hook/Peter battles felt all too familiar. And the octopus filled in way too much for the crocodile, right down to the unexplained jerky ticking movements.

The animation was done in the old style, and I liked it. It wasn't flashy most of the time, but it felt like a continuation of the original. Likewise, the voice actors who took on the classic characters were remarkably accurate.

It's not that this is a bad film, but it's not all that great, either. Kids will enjoy it, but adult fans aren't missing anything if they skip it.

5.0 out of 5 stars DVD, 3 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Peter Pan 2: Return to Neverland [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
Ordered as present for my nephew arrived on time and my nephew loves it and has already watched the DVD time and time again

4.0 out of 5 stars DVD, 13 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Peter Pan 2: Return to Neverland [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
Bought as a gift think the recipient will be very pleased good service exactly as stated n description many thanks

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 28 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Peter Pan 2: Return to Neverland [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
Great film for the kids, what you would expect from Disney, would certainly buy another one. Why so many words

Peter Pan 2: Return to Neverland [DVD] [2002]