4.0 out of 5 stars Faster, lighter, slimmer, water resistant - an improvement
It looks as though Sony may stay in the tablet game as this is the first, of hopefully many, annual updates. The Sony P Tablet with two screens (which I rather liked because of its portability and refreshing design) has gone. The S tablet carries on now branded with Sony's mobile phones as the `Xperia' S tablet.

I have the WiFi only version with just 16Gb of...
Published on 24 Sept. 2012 by Dr. Paul Ell

3.0 out of 5 stars Such a shame
Published on 11 Oct. 2012 by I. Gemmell

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Faster, lighter, slimmer, water resistant - an improvement, 24 Sept. 2012
Dr. Paul Ell (NI, UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sony Xperia Tablet S 9.4 inch LCD Tablet (NVIDIA Tegra 3 1.3GHz, 1GB RAM, 16GB Memory, Wi-Fi, Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich) (Personal Computers)

I have the WiFi only version with just 16Gb of storage. Crucially this can be augmented by a SD memory card up to at least 32Gb which is far cheaper than going for the higher spec models reaching 64Gb. While the screen has the same resolution of the old model it's far brighter and compares remarkably well with the new iPad. In part it's helped by having a bit of a smaller screen. The processor is a lot faster and wireless reception is improved. Physically the tablet stands out from the crowd with a slimmer lighter form but still looking like a folded magazine a bit. As a result it's easier to hold than an iPad and its water resistant so may aviod the unexplained water damaged that impacts on so many iPad guarantees. It might just survive dropping in the bath.

There's the usual range of Android software including the excellent mapping software - far better than the current iOS 6 equivalent. The killer app for me is the TV remote control feature as with the previous iteration but now with macros built in. If you're in the market for a universal remote and a tablet the Sony is excellent value and far better than most universal remotes. There's also a fair amount of bundled good Sony software.

At last a high-end Android tablet is priced at less than an iPad and with some good accessories as well. It's not quite as honed as an iPad from an OS perspective but mapping is now better, and the remote's good. Apple's closed system brings stability but restricts what's on the Tablet - including Sony ebook software which Apple blocked on iPads. It's a good e-reader as well.

Overall very good and close to 5 stars. The screen needs better resolution to beat Apple though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Xperia s tablet, 11 Mar. 2013
An excellent tablet, actually better than my iPad 2 and galaxy tab2 10.1. Easy to use and the battery life is better than expected.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb device, better than I thouht it would be, 14 Dec. 2012
I have had 2 tablets before this Sony Xperia and had initially thought to get a windows 8 tablet until I noticed this in the Sony shop in my town. I checked it out and bought it on the spot. Now normally I would have checked loads of reviews but I had not even heard of this one until I walked into the shop.
The Sony service was less than good but I still bought it anyway. I opened the box and was connected to the internet in less than a minute from the startup screen, it was tht easy.
Fast, light, superb display and excellent acessories make this the best tablet I have ever usedor seen. Forget Apple and Samsung, Sony are it for me even though I am not really a Sony fan, they do make great devices.
I can control tv and dvd with it but do not really bother, it's just too bulky for doing that, what it's good at is being a great android tablet.

3.0 out of 5 stars Such a shame, 11 Oct. 2012
I. Gemmell - See all my reviews
I have always been a big Sony fan and most of my electronics are Sony, so when it came to buying a tablet I went for Sony, thinking that there must be some benefit in terms of compatibity. I bought the original Sony S Tablet, which was stolen and I replaced it with this new Experia version. There were some similar issues with both tablets and a major one with the Experia.

Common problems / annoyances were - a lack of availability of basic peripherals, such as the HDMI connector and original Sony covers. I dont know what the problem is here, they are easily available in the US but the UK Sony store never has any stock, or anywhere else in the UK for that matter. Another issue is the DNLA function to TVs. It looks easy on the Sony video but in actual fact there is very little content that you can do this with and the icon does not even appear for many movies and pictures, so I gave up thinking this would ever be useful. Sony had a brilliant idea making the tablet like a folder magazine and it is easy to hold like this, unfortunately app developers do not seem to be catering for this though, for example Temple Run will not work that way round and I need to hold the thin side! Wish I was left handed.

Xperia specific problems - really one MAJOR issue here. The tablet keeps shutting itself down instead of going into standby. Not only does this mean constantly losing work etc, it also means waiting for the tablet to start up again. This is now well documented on forums and there seems to be lots of mucking about with upgrades and screen settings being tried, some of these recommendations from Sony. Well sorry Sony, a leading global player should not produce products that need all this customer troubleshooting and there is still no reliable solution, thus the title of my review. I am currently considering whether to just return the tablet and get something else since this is obviously a serious fault. Another issue is that sometimes a text input box, such as Google search does not react on first touch and a couple of toiuches are required to get the keyboard to input. Wifi is also not performing for me as well as the previous tablet with streaming movies going pixelated, nothing has changed in my wifi network so it must be down to the tablet. To make matters worse, Sony announced that there was a waterproofing issue with the tablet the day after I bought mine. I dont really need that feature but it might have been useful at some point in the future.

Apologies to all for focussing on the negatives here but I think these are important in any buying decision. Everything else is cool. Nice feel, look and usual quality Sony display. Im still resisting Apple products but when I see the availability of peripherals that ipads have and how easily they integrate, I am slowly considering it as an option!

So overall I love owning the tablet and think its a cool piece of kit, however if I knew what I know now I would not buy it and that really is a shame because I want use Sony.

1.0 out of 5 stars Boot looped and no help from Sony, 4 Oct. 2014
I've enjoyed this tablet and regularly use it via hdmi. No real prblems of any kind until 2 weeks ago it went into a boot loop and won't go past the Sony logo. I've had pitiful to nonexistent support from Sony and have put it in the hands of a Sony registered service centre who after 2weeks are no closer to restarting it. What kind of dodgy tweaks are Sony making to the Android o/s that it can't be flashed or rebooted, money down the drain . I'm disgusted and with 2 Sony Vaio laptops and an HD/ DVD recorder I am neberthe less planning to abandon Sony in futurefuture

5.0 out of 5 stars first time tablet user and its amazing!, 25 Sept. 2012
I have come to tablets from an iphone and ipod touch background. Now you may therefore wonder why I didn't go for an Ipad. Well partly price and partly because I feel Apple are so dominant that they feel that they can do what they like.

I read a lot of reviews before making my decision of course not many on this product as its so new but plenty on the competition including the Ipad. I decided to go down the route of an Android tablet as I couldn't see what I would benefit from an Ipad.

So compared to Apple what have I found? Well typing isn't as easy on the keyboard as predictive text isn't as good but then I have got lazy! There are other keyboards that can be downloaded from google play so this I'm sure can be sorted. Some of the Apps aren't quite as good - facebook for example. However that isn't Sonys fault but Facebook themselves. The browser is good but getting back to the top of the page is sometimes awkward. Other than that I can't honestly say there is massive amounts of difference.

There was a wifi issue when first purchased but this was updated and sorted very quickly (release 5). I am not surprised that there was some issue as I have yet to buy anything incl. Apple products without some initial issue especially as its a new product.

I have had the tablet 2 weeks and I use it more than I could have thought my laptop now little used.

It was easy to setup with clear instructions - not that to be honest you need much!

Oh and the great thing is you can watch flash images unlike Apple so that helps a lot. I find myself watching tvcatchup or iplayer on it a lot. Useful when you dont have a tv in the room it's a comfortable viewing size. Sound is good as far as I'm concerned for what I need. Im not looking for tv quality.

Battery to me is acceptable. I have used all day and now needs charging but then so would my iphone if used under similar circumstances.

I would definitely recommend its great.

5.0 out of 5 stars spectacular device, 24 April 2013
I was looking for a tablet not too big which could be handled also by my 7yrs old son. A 10in screen was too big, a 7in too small. The Sony Xperia 9.4in was what i was looking for: the ideal size + expandable memory (Samsung doesn't have it), aluminium case with impeccable build quality, and a modern design.
The Android 4.0 OS makes all applications run fast without a glitch. The tablet is water-resistant, easy to use, well responsive and it never heats up. Also given the relatively weak market penetration of the brand, it feels like owning something unique.
All for 250 GBP.

why spend more for a samsung and an Ipad?

5.0 out of 5 stars Tegra 3!, 10 Sept. 2012
C. Michael - See all my reviews
This tablet has a Tegra 3 processor NOT a Tegra 2! This is the fastest tablet I have used! Sony have done a great job with the optimization and the build quality is superb! I have found all the apps included very useful and easy to use. I only wish it had a 1080p display at-least.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 11 Oct. 2012
As a long time Android user (and a bit of a Sony fan) I was desperately waiting for this. The Tablet S didn't seem to hit the mark but the Xperia Tablet S has done.

I am unable to find any fault with it yet, not that I'm looking. It works just as my Xperia Arc S phone does and connects easily to wi-fi and also to my phone for tethering. ALl I need do know is to sit back and enjoy it

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep using the tablets, 12 Aug. 2013
Pros: Nice size, not too big or small. Good quality. Remote Control Feature. Splash proof. Good Price. Good Spec.

Cons: None so far.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›