5.0 out of 5 stars Holding up a mirror to a degenerate generation
Published 2 months ago by Lance Grundy

This book is an accurate analysis of today’s popular worldview that embraces relativistic values resulting in unhappy consequences. The author mainly uses personal reflections of his family life to contrast the old behaviour and value perceptions against contemporary cultural symptoms.
The analysis includes views around his minimal religious experiences as a...
Published 25 days ago by Steve Norris

5.0 out of 5 stars Holding up a mirror to a degenerate generation, 22 Jun 2014
Lance Grundy (Great Britain) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Selfish Whining Monkeys: How we Ended Up Greedy, Narcissistic and Unhappy (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book after watching its author, Rod Liddle, being set upon by the professional grievance-monger Yasmin Alibhai-Brown on Channel 4 News the other night. "I loathe you. I have no words to express how much I loathe you" said Alibhai-Brown to Liddle. "The bigotry bursts out of you" she added as they discussed "the repulsive things he said" in this, his latest book. I was sold. Instinctively knowing that anything that got Yasmin Alibhai-Brown's knickers in a twist must be worth reading, I bought a copy, there and then, 'with one-click'.

First, a word of warning. This is a very un-PC book and the language is choice. If you're a member of Britain's liberal-Left, metropolitan elite then, like a maiden Aunt catching sight of an uncovered table leg in a Victorian parlour room, you're likely to be "shocked", I tell you, "shocked", by some of the words you read here. Better keep the smelling salts handy. Indeed, if you're one of those prissy Lefties who's stuffed so full of your own self-righteousness that you can't even acknowledge that other people might hold views which may be very different to your own, then you might even - wait for it - "feel offended" by what Liddle has had the temerity to write here.

However, if you're not a member of what Liddle calls Britain's ever-expanding "faux-Left" and you're over forty years old then, like me, you'll love this book. It's a crude, vulgar and laugh-out-loud funny look at the appalling state of modern British society and Liddle leaves us in no doubt about who is to blame for this terrible state of affairs. It's us. Our generation. Those born "between about 1950 and 1970" who've so royally screwed up just about everything we've touched through our selfish immorality and in doing so have completely undermined the life chances of the next generation. It's powerful stuff and the humour makes it all the more cutting as does Liddle's background on the far-Left.

By holding up a mirror to our "self-indulgent", "narcissistic" society with its "obsessive acquisitiveness" and need for "instant gratification", Liddle has exposed us as a generation of degenerates who, by any yardstick, are far worse people than our parents. In fact, all Liddle can find to say in our defence is that we're less racist and homophobic than the previous generation and even that's debateable depending on the kind of circles you frequent. A fairly short book, well-written and entertaining with a hefty dose of 1960s and 1970s nostalgia, I loved it. Well done Rod. Another book like this and the "faux-Left" will have you behind bars.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pre WWII value system gives way to confusing relativism today, 28 July 2014
The analysis includes views around his minimal religious experiences as a Christian. Although there is no clear ‘coming out’ either as a Christian or a total non-believer, the explanation of how we have substituted God or a creator for narcissism is excellent.
The book is rife with unnecessary bad language which, although amusing in some contexts, devalued what might have been regarded as a serious observation of humanity. Added to this disappointment, while discussing technology and the internet in particular, the writer offers speculation about his late father ‘wanking away to the inexpert film of some hard faced…by an Alsatian’ was for me, a sickening passage to read.
It is also the poorer for not offering any alternative possibilities for the apparent drift of society into an ever increasing focus on self. It would have been interesting to read what mankind might do in order to have some hope, purpose and a future.
The book was somewhat redeemed in the later chapters that provide a challenging summary of the de facto world view of those influenced indirectly in the main, by the relativistic academics and thinkers who encouraged us to challenge authority, deconstruct religious and historic texts and be free. Free; to what end?

4.0 out of 5 stars Very funny and entertaining whilst making some real, 11 July 2014
Very funny and entertaining whilst making some real, thought provoking points. Being similar generation, similar background and life experience, I found it very easy to relate to Rod's point of view, and I found it very reassuring that there are people out there who see things as they really are. I would not recommend reading this at bed time, it is far too stimulating and thought provoking. A great read and I would certainly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Free speech lives on!, 12 July 2014
I enjoyed this book very much. Like many other people I watched in disbelief as the author was being viciously abused on Channel 4 'News', and bought the book immediately afterwards. I've never watched Channel 4 News since!
The language used is rich, but no worse than you'll hear in any ordinary work place or office in the country, and that's the point as this is a book for the masses, not for the PC brigade or the liberals that rule us. If you are British and of a certain age you will frequently nod in agreement, chuckle in recognition and even despair at the revelations herein. We all know this stuff to be true, but thankfully someone has the courage to write down what most people are thinking.
Now all we need is someone to tell us how to change things!

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm half way through this book and I can't put ..., 22 July 2014
Mr. Nj Reid "nreid82" (england) - See all my reviews
I'm half way through this book and I can't put it down. Liddle is absolutely hilarious and he takes us through the various ills of British society. I find his direct language and honesty refreshing.

This book isn't just for middle aged people, I'm in my late 20's and find myself agreeing with lots of what Liddle has to say. A lot of it applies to the younger generation also.

5.0 out of 5 stars "I wish I could disagree, but I can't", 25 Jun 2014
As with Rod Liddle's provocative articles, I would like to be able to disagree with his acerbic commentary, but I can't. Liddle provides a valuable antidote to politically correct and inane comment and none moreso than in this personal book, which provokes and entertains almost in equal measure. Reading the book is like sitting with a friend over a pint and discussing the state of the world we live in, and finding the companion well informed and willing to speak his mind. Amidst the commentary are useful insights into disturbing aspects of the way we live and I find it helpful to have a guide who has political views but prefaced with common sense and grounded philosophy, rather than regurgitated and fixed contemporary views. The book is refreshing in its candour but depressing in the points it makes. As a nineteen sixties child, with many similarities in background to Liddle, I found that I read the book avidly, with my head nodding, when I wasn't chortling at some of the more choice and stinging comments. I would like to imagine the 'bien pensant' reaction to the book, as they choke over their semi skimmed lattes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 9 July 2014
I agree with absolutely everything Rod says. I completely despair of modern society. We are all going to hell in a handcart.

5.0 out of 5 stars After the shock of some very bad language throughout, 11 July 2014
After the shock of some very bad language throughout, I enjoyed the book and found it informative and down to earth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Irreverent, honest and refreshing., 11 July 2014
I bought this as I thought any book so intensely hated by Yasmin Alibhai-Brown must contain some interesting, intelligent and compelling arguments. Absolutely spot on. Rod Liddle has such an irreverent (and at times very unpalatable) take on modern society - it is fascinating to read. My only query is that in a couple instances (e.g. women going out to work) the premise of his arguments do not produce the same conclusions in the Scandinavian countries. Otherwise it is very difficult to argue with his analysis. Rod Liddle comes from the same stable as Clare Fox - Left in the political spectrum but unwilling to espouse the normal unthinking liberal rhetoric which so often goes with this position i.e. in his terms: not a faux left liberal. So refreshing to read original thought. Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful stuff!, 4 July 2014
Excellent read and a analysis of modern Britain which looks uncomfortably near the mark!