5.0 out of 5 stars It's a winner!
I loved the book! It really is a 'laugh out loud' experience. That said there are some quite poignant and very well written moments that go straight to the heart!. Harriet is a star and Holly Smale is clearly a winner. There's something in the story line for everyone, not just teenagers - and there's a lot to be learned from it too!
Published 17 months ago by Keith

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute - what you see is what you get.
Geek Girl is one of those books that I pick up when I'm in a certain mood. It's a light, fluffy contemporary with a certain escapism appeal. And in that sense, it's so great to read - as long as I don't start qualitatively analyzing it.

Published 11 months ago by Debby (Snuggly Oranges)

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a winner!, 4 Mar 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars indescribably funny, 19 Mar 2013
This review is from: Geek Girl (Geek Girl, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I'm the wrong demographic for this book, but I do appreciate spectacularly witty and scintillating prose with unendurably hilarious dry irony, peppered with even funnier erudite irrelevancies, and if Douglas Adams had been engaged to write a book for teenage girls, this would have been it. I can bestow no higher praise. (I received this book from netgalley in exchange for nothing whatever. I am genuinely insanely enamoured of this author's wit, intellect, and infallibly pitch-perfect use of language.)

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute - what you see is what you get., 21 Sep 2013

This book has a lot going for it. As a raging nerd and geek myself, I definitely connected with Harriet on many points. I think in a way that a lot of people don't understand - and while I don't collect random facts and spew them out all the time, it was definitely enjoyable to read from that point of view. Harriet is just amazingly awkward but in a very relatable and touching way. However, I must say, that toward the end of the book, her personality - the awkward exclamations of facts and the constant self-deprecation - got exhausting.

I desperately wanted her to grow, at least from the self-deprecation stuff. I mean, this girl is picked out of nowhere to be a model, swept into the modeling world, and is an instant sensation. Meanwhile, she will tell you every moment she gets that she is so ugly that it makes no sense why they picked her. I mean, a little self-doubt is understandable, particularly as a teenager. But it felt overdone here. She wouldn't entertain the notion that maybe some people thought she was pretty for a second. And not only did that kind of make me lose respect for her, it also made me believe her. At the end of the book, I was just nodding going, "Yeah, I dunno why they picked you either. I mean, gosh. Ugly."

I did, however, enjoy her budding romance with Nick. I thought they were adorable together, and though I suppose it leaned a little towards instalove, that actually didn't bother me at all. Particular the end was just.. all the adorbs! I loved it! And that will probably have me picking up the sequel anyway.

The rest of the novel was more or less middle-of-the-road stuff. It was a nice pick-me-up, and it had some nice moments, like Harriet's relationship with her stepmother, Annabeth, and her father and Annabeth's relationship. However, there were also some moments that were completely exhausting: like Wilbur, the eccentric agent who picks up Harriet and all his *headdesk*-worthy nicknames. Also, Toby, the geek who openly stalks Harriet kind of freaked me the hell out when I really thought about his behavior. At first glance he was kind of cute-nerdy, but he really stalks Harriet, and she is perfectly okay with it. That's just something I can't really comprehend.

The plot was straightforward and unsurprisingly. Exactly what you would expect from such a contemporary escapism read. I could have done with less best friend drama and stuck up model drama, but I guess if you pick this book up, you're probably someone who doesn't mind that kind of thing.

Summing Up...

What can I say? No big surprises in this book. What you see is what you get. When you have nothing else to read and really just want something light and cute to pick you up, consider Geek Girl. It's pretty fun. But don't expect to be wowed. The romance may be its biggest selling point though, and that definitely has me curious for the sequel, Model Misfit. But it's not really on the priority list.

Recommended To...

Geeky readers in the mood for a light, pick-me-up read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 12 Mar 2013
This review is from: Geek Girl (Geek Girl, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This book is amazing, Harriet was a character I could easily relate to, being geeky myself. I would highly recommend this book. The way in which it is written is a talent I wish I had. The ability to make some want to carry on reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 6 Mar 2013
This review is from: Geek Girl (Geek Girl, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This book had me laughing the whole way through! A brilliant read and perfect for geeks. I couldn't put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Geeks rock!, 3 Mar 2013
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. I actually got invited to a launch party for this book by the publishers, I really wanted to go, I hadn't heard much about the book beforehand but just from reading the blurb I knew it would be a book I would love. After all I am a self-confessed Geek - so perfect for me. Unfortunately I couldn't attend which I was really disappointed about - but now I've finished reading it I'm even more disappointed - that would have been such an awesome afternoon. This book rocks!
Meet Harriet, she's just discovered she's a Geek - she even looked it up in the dictionary to confirm it! No one at school seems to like her, so when she's offered the chance to be a model she thinks it could be just the thing she's been looking for, to make a change for good and maybe make other people see her in a different light.
I liked Harriet's honest and fun narration, she's very up front and says what she is thinking, often times it's random facts but I enjoyed her little interludes. I liked how Holly Smale conveyed Harriet's awkwardness and self-awarness. It really made the character come to life.
I literally laughed out loud whilst reading this book, mostly conversations between her dad and step-mum and even Wilbur the model agent. They were so random and funny, my mum even asked me what I was laughing at!
I love books that can make me laugh, it's hard to get the balance right but this one does it perfectly.
I really could relate with Harriet and she's very likeable if not slightly annoying at times - but that's her charm.
Alexa is the school bully and we've all known someone like her in our lives (if you didn't, you probably were her!) The one who has to be the Queen bee, bringing everyone else down, Smale wrote her perfectly, I could picture every sneer, hair flip and put down.
This book is so much more than a simple high-school coming of age story.
I absolutely loved it and read it in just a couple of hours, hours filled with laughter.
The writing flows so well, the dialogue feels natural and just everything about this book made me smile. It has definitely moved it's way up my favourites list and I hope there will be a lot more from Holly Smale.

4.0 out of 5 stars fresh but rotten, 29 July 2014
Something that's important to me is a great opening and I'll be honest when I say that when I began reading this book on Saturday, I did not resurface from my bed until I finished the third book on Sunday morning. The book has a very fresh way of writing and the character of Harriet can be very relatable at times and her father is without a doubt my favourite character. HOWEVER, I can't help but think how counter productive this book is for fellow young adults especially young girls like myself. The books have this underlying geek-shaming which I can't abide because I guess that I am a geek. I also like learning about random facts but I have still retained my social skills. Although I could relate with Harriet's dislike for socialising, I can't help but think how a girl like that gets such great friends like Nat and Toby. The story does get slightly far fetched as well. Take Toby for example. He's her stalker yet no adult seems to do anything about the fact that there is this boy spying and listening in to this girls conversation. Anyway, at times I felt like Smale was trying to degrade geeks in a way, constantly portraying us in a very negative way. I enjoyed the story but that feeling just stayed with me throughout the entire trilogy. *note- no longer a trilogy, currently writing geek girl 4 out in 2015*

It's refreshing and an interesting storyline. It's hardly great literature but you wouldn't expect that. It is however engaging but at times, repetitive and sometimes infuriating.

I'd recommend the books but only if you don't mind a young teenage girl at her highs and lows which does include flipping out on her parents and obsessing over a boy. However, I don't recommend you buying them as they don't seem the books you'd read over and over. Rather, check out your local library and peruse them first. ☺

4.0 out of 5 stars BOOK REVIEW: Geek Girl by Holly Smale, 19 July 2014
This review is from: Geek Girl (Geek Girl, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
If I wasn't recommended this book by my friend Georgia from The Biblomaniac Book Blog, I think that I would never would have found this book. So I am so grateful to Georgia for this! The Geek Girl books are one of my all time favourite series and thanks to Holly's wonderful writing, she has inspired me to become an author, just like her! I have reviewed this book at least twice but due to Blogger deleting my blog, all my reviews were wiped out so I am re-writing this review for the last time! Anyway, Geek Girl is a realistic fantasy that takes some of Smale's real life experience, mind blowing facts and also some comedy fantasy that will make you laugh your socks off! I am obsessed with the Geek Girl books because I have read them more than ten times, apart from the most recent one which I will be re-reading soon! Smale makes you feel as if you are Harriet herself and that you carry her misfortunes everywhere you go! I generally think that Smale's books are made of pure genius! You will learn so many facts from Geek Girl it will actually shock your friends if you tell them! (I did and I just got called "Geek" even more!) However, Geek Girl is so good that it is hard to put it down after beginning it!

The plot of Geek Girl is so much different from any of the other books I have read before and I am so elated for this because most books I read always have a similar plot. But not Smale's book! I recommend reading this book with a plate of Sugar Cookies and some tea/coffee/any other drinks because the book will literary take you into another world and you might be a little hungry for more! And if you are wondering why I have italicised the words "Sugar Cookies" is because it is the saying that Harriet says when she knows that something has gone wrong. I may have adopted it as my saying also. Smale has an unique writing technique and every chapter is detailed perfectly...It is the perfect summer read. I find this book quite inspirational, due to the fact that even though you may be a Geek or a Nerd, you can still have the chance of becoming famous or something. So when I send my book to my chosen publisher in November, hopefully, I am hoping I have that chance! The characters are bloody brilliant and my favourite has to be Wilbur. Not "iam" but "bur" Smale is a superb author that deserves her book series to become a movie!

There were a few things I didn't enjoy about Geek Girl but they were only a few small things that did have a slight impact but nonetheless, Geek Girl deserves to be read by you guys and that you should always believe in yourself! =) Thank you Holly Smale for writing a brilliant book series and inspiring me to write when I am older, and also for the hug last weekend! VISTIT MY BLOG FOR MORE REVIEWS: http://www.thebooksbandit.blogspot.co.uk/

2.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable enough read, but it didn’t wow me., 19 July 2014
This review is from: Geek Girl (Geek Girl, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Review also published on my blog StudentSpyglass.com

Source: ARC from Netgalley

Harriet Manners, the geek girl of the title, never wanted to be a model. In fact, she doesn’t exactly get fashion, and she’s only at the fashion show because her best friend Nat dragged her. Since she’s not exactly popular at school, she goes along with it when she’s spotted by a model scout, hoping to re-invent herself…but of course, there are costs, not least that she’s stolen her best friend’s dream.

I really liked Holly’s quirkiness, and her awkwardness (we can all relate sometimes!), but I wouldn’t call her a geek. She’s clumsy, and full of random facts, but definitely not a fangirl. Having said that, I really loved her voice as a narrator, and she’s genuinely funny.

It was cute, and funny, and the lack of angst was definitely a welcome change. My biggest issue with Geek Girl though, was that it felt like it was aimed at a younger audience. It definitely felt more like a young teen read than a young adult one, partially because I thought it was quite predictable.

All in all, I found Geek Girl a quick, light read, but I wasn’t wowed by it, and it didn’t leave me particularly fussed either way about continuing on with the series. Having said that, it was a definitely a fun and speedy read, and it’d make a great readathon choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book EVER!, 1 Mar 2013
This review is from: Geek Girl (Geek Girl, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Geek girl is the best book in THE UNIVERSE!!! It is such a classic concept but it's written so amazingly well it feels so fresh! I RECOMMEND THIS BOOK IT IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!

Geek Girl (Geek Girl, Book 1)
1.99