5.0 out of 5 stars Still an Excellent Utility
With Windows 7 and Windows 8 managing to do a number of the functions of these type of software packages it is often stated in magazines that they are not really necessary. I, however, do like them.
I have used this particular one since the very early versions which seem to find numerous registry and other problems no matter how often you do a scan.
It did...
Published on 20 Nov. 2012 by Tellboy

1.0 out of 5 stars Find a Barge pole quick, and use it...
Previously I have used TuneUp Utilities 2008 and TuneUp Utilities 2010 nonetheless, never really being the sort to learn from mistakes... I thought I should give TuneUp Utilities 2013 a go.

My PC is only a year old yet after running the 1-Click Maintenance, the following issues were reported after analysis ('High system interference' claimed):

Clean...
Published on 20 Dec. 2012 by b4-its-2-l8

‹ Previous | 112 13 14 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems to do what it says on the box, 29 Jan. 2013
Kevin McIlroy (London) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this produce because a friend has been having performance issues with their desk top computer. The software loaded easily - the only problem was I originally typed the prodicy key in lower case. However when the program tried to update itself from the internet it failed because it was running - I coudln't cancel the update program without cancelling what it was doing so we were left with the product as it came off the disk.

It ran quickly, identifying 3000+ errors which it promptly fixed itself. Then I accessed the control panel and resolved a few more issues that were highlighted there.

So far so good. However it failed to tell me that one reason for the slow running was the shortage of space disk space - OK I shoudl have noticed that before I ran the diagnostics but I would have throught something like this woudl have commented on the lack of space.

Since then I loaded it onto my laptop and it has been fine - I didn't get the issue when it tried to update from the internet so that might have been a different issue (possibly even pilot error)

I don't have anything to compare this with so can't say if it's better or worse than the competitors

4.0 out of 5 stars One-Stop Shop, 23 Jan. 2013
Paul Fillery (Worcester, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Yes, you could probably hunt around and get Windows to do a lot of this cleaning-up for you, and if you had the time and expertise it's probably straightforward. I have neither, so am perfectly happy to let this software do its thing quickly and unobtrusively. Comprehensive and yet very simple to use, and unlike some reviewers I've not noticed any performance issues after installation - the opposite in fact.
I know many tech-heads look upon these software packages with scorn, but they do lots of small maintenance and clean-up tasks under one interface, and at a very reasonable price too.

4.0 out of 5 stars It does what it says on the box, 18 Jan. 2013
C. R. Williams "rockinhepcat" (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My wifes laptop was becoming slow and crashed every so often and no matter how many times I cleaned it down it wasn't long before we were cursing and shutting it down in frustration.

This software has really made a difference in performance and reliability, a great purchase. I'm going to load it on my desktop PC as I use autocad and I'm sure the software will increase the speed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality product, 13 Jan. 2013
This review is from: TuneUp Utilities 2013: 3 User (PC) (CD-ROM)
I haven't installed one of these before, luckily this was very easy to install and operate. Really did clean up and improve the performance of my pc, so is highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beneficial but crash on first run, 4 Jan. 2013
R. Lawson "clavedoc" (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a pretty well presented and intuitive utility. It includes deletion of junk, correction of registry errors and disk checking and defragmentation, the latter running more swiftly than some I've encountered. There are also utilities to remove items from the start up menu and to remove them from running in the background, improving speed. This is done via a simple interface with sliders for each program allowing you to choose whether to kill the program or not in the relevant section. The program itself can be configured to run automatically at predetermined intervals, and can be configured as 'turbo', 'standard' or 'economy' (to aid battery life).
An initial run on a cluttered computer reveal about 250 registry errors which were fixed, and the expected lot of garbage to be deleted. I'd already cleaned up the start menu so gained nothing much there, thought the slider menu is a nice option allowing you to dial things in or out with ease and to change your mind. I was able to remove some items from running in the background, freeing up memory. All this does seem to have resulted in a perceptible increase in speed which is most welcome.
Changes are also backed up in case of disasters.
So far so good then.
One hopes however that a program one trusts with making important changes to ones computer is going to be robust. It was very perturbing to have it crash at the end of my first system tune up. Fortunately all seems well and no damage done, but this doesn't inspire any confidence; I've taken the precaution of increasing the backups to maximum and will see how things go.
Finally, to install the program you have to give fairly sweeping permission to send data to the developers; this is to allow monitoring of performance and further development according to the t&c. It specifies this will include information on the programs installed and used, but does use fairly sweeping phrases about 'personally identifiable information' and includes 'sharing to company employees' without any restriction on this to a 'need to know' basis, but with the provision it can be passed between countries. It does seem rather more sweeping than is necessary, and rather bad practice.

5.0 out of 5 stars really effective, 18 Dec. 2012
margesimpson "wifi" (sussex) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
installation was easy as pie, and its been doing its job ever since, it gets rid of all the junk and time wasters on your pc and it likes to sing its own prases with messages such as your pc booted 128% quicker and how many optimizations made during the last day ect, id recommend this product to everyone as we all know there is alot of rubbish left on your pc during use and this gets removed, it updates itself and you dont know its there quietly doing what you need it to,it found over 1000 tweeks it could make on my pc in the first pass and ive set up economy mode for when im on battery and it switches seemlessly, you also get a little side gadget so you can change settings in one click in short great

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple to use, 17 Dec. 2012
Grev (Brighton) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the third version of TuneUp Utlities I've used and I'm as happy with the 2013 version as I was with the others. Installation was a breeze, always a bonus, and the program itself is easy to set up and use.

What I like about TuneUp Utilities the most is that it goes about it's tasks with the minimum of fuss. Instead of making a big song and dance about every background problem it's sorted it just pops up a caption letting you know it's done something, and then the caption fades away again.

This is in direct contrast to many other programs of this ilk, which seem hell bent on justifying their existence by jumping up and down like attention seeking kids desperately trying to grab your attention every time they do something. TuneUp Utilities is a lot more laid back than that, does it's job well, and won't drive you up the wall. Result.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of the tune up programs, 15 Dec. 2012
SonicQuack (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The latest TuneUp Utilities doesn't reinvent the wheel, however it adds extra tools and most importantly includes support for Windows 8.

Easy to install and use, TuneUp is the most user-friendly interface out of the system/performance programs I have used. So much so it has remained installed on my old Windows PC and the new Windows 8 one. It's a lightweight program, which won't bog down the PC, frequently tuning up Windows without getting in the way. Should you want to invest a few minutes every now and again it will have a slew of recommendations for you to help maximise your Windows performance. The 2013 version offers more clarity around decisions, giving new users more confidence in taking action.

You can read the new features above, however the feature which examines your HDD to reports on large files is handy for those who download content, so you can easily find lost or forgotten files. Great for weeding out bloated temporary files too.

Definitely recommended for new and experienced PC users who want to keep their Windows computer in tip-top condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic toolset for beginners and tweakers., 14 Dec. 2012
S. Minchin "state_of_flux" (London UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Firstly, I'm an IT consultant and I've used Tuneup products for the last 5 years on my home machines, and actually recommend them to my clients as well. That should give you a fairly good idea what to expect from Tuneup Utilities. I'm not just saying that either, I'm known to be harsh on rubbish products (see my review of Acronis True Image Home 2011 for an example). Now, with that out of the way, on to the actual product.

Installation is straightforward, as is upgrading from a previous version. I went directly from the 2011 version to this one with no problems at all. On first loading, it will ask you if you want to run one click maintenence. Well worth doing, as this will give the machine an instant spring clean and will perk things up almost straight away. Don't be alarmed initially at the number of registry errors it will find, as this is par for the course on older machines, it's usually just junk left behind by various software.

After running the initial cleanup, you'll be taken to the main tuneup window. In here, on the first tab (Status and Recommendations) you will recieve various recommendations as to how to speed the system up, and an Optimisation Status bar at the bottom which will tell you what remaining recommendations you can still do. There are also a few different modes to choose from. Economy mode is only really useful on laptops and will turn off battery -draining settings when active, increasing battery life and reducing power consumption. Turbo mode is designed to streamline certain programs to get the most out of them, and will re-jig the system to provide extra juice where it's needed. Useful for gaming, but for general purpose usage it's best to stick with standard mode.

The other tabs on the main screen are self explanatory. Optimise computer will let you tweak things so the system runs better. Clean up computer will get rid of unwanted junk like temp files, browser caches etc. Fix problems gives you ready-to-go fixes for a bunch of commonly occuring windows problems, alongside more detailed repair operations, and customise windows gives you access to some cool underlying system settings, so you can even go as far as to theme the desktop style, or change the logon screen. I use a cool firey effect for mine.

There is another tab called overview of all functions, which is where the IT literate tweaker will spend most of their time. This gives the most direct access to the system functions. A very good place to start here is the "Disable Startup Programs" button, which will display all the programs running on startup. I guarantee there will be stuff here you didn't know was running and that you don't want. Turning them off here will stop them running on system startup, but if you need access you can still run them normally from shortcuts etc.

Tuneup also features a recovery center that will let you undo any changes you make if something you tweak breaks something you need. I've never had to use it once.

To summarize, a lot of the features in TuneUp are already available from the operating system, but not presented as nicely, and mostly hidden. For example, the disable startup programs can be access via typing msconfig to the run / search box, and going to the startup tab. Try it, compare it to the TuneUp version. I know which one I'd rather use... This software is like an extremely fully featured and easy to use front-end to some of the lower-level features that most people don't know exist in Windows, along with a bunch of extra cool stuff for tweaking. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars The best utiity suite ever?, 3 Dec. 2012
marcoscu "marcoscu" (Chorley,UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have used the various iterations of this utility suite over the years and have been pleased to see it continually improving. Some gimmicky features and fillers have been ditched whilst the genuinely usefull have been enhanced and expanded. This new versions seems the best yet and I have been running it for a couple of weeks now trouble free. Of course this begs the question that would my PC have been OK anyway and have I actively benfitted from gaving TuneUp Utilities 2013? At least it has done no harm which is more than can be said for some of the rival products I have tried.

Not that everything is good. It has a features which attempts to speed up the PC by disabling or reducing the priority given to processes using what it deems to be too many system resources. It offered today to disable my web browser, not a good idea. However, this features like most of the rest can be turned off and does not make changes without specific permission. Worrying nevertheless as essential programs might be limited or disabled in error.

The Good
Quick and easy install
Good price
Many potantially useful features
Stable and fast in use.

The Bad
Sometimes the customizations offered are dubious
Many users question the real benefits of this or similar suites.

‹ Previous | 112 13 14 | Next ›

TuneUp Utilities 2013: 3 User (PC)
TuneUp Utilities 2013: 3 User (PC) by AVG Technologies Ltd. (Windows 7 / 8 / Vista / XP)