4.0 out of 5 stars A review dictated by using DragonDictate version 3.0
I thought it might be more authentic if I dictated my review rather than typing it. What you are getting is my dictated view, unedited, street from the DragonDictate software.

I am using DragonDictate for the PC and the Mac; the PC at work and the Mac at home. Undoubtedly, the PC version is slightly ahead of the MAC version but the difference is now very,...
Published on 26 Nov. 2012 by Dr. Stephen Murphy

2.0 out of 5 stars Good recognition, buggy software
I've had DragonDictate for just one day now, so my review is based on just a few hours of working with the software. I am of course dictating this review using the software. I've actually tried to make this more difficult for the software by using the built-in microphone in my MacBook Pro rather than the supplied microphone.

I've used an old version of Dragon...
Published on 29 Nov. 2012 by K. Benson

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as easy to use as Windows version., 24 May 2013
This review is from: Dragon Dictate 3.0 (Mac) (DVD-ROM)
Disappointing. I found this not as easy to use as the windows version, not as accurate, I have a windows partition on my Mac so use that now.the widows version of Dragon Naturally speaking. Being severely visually impaired and dyslexic I find this a happier solution for my own particular needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent service, 17 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Dragon Dictate 3.0 (Mac) (DVD-ROM)
Product arrived well before expected date, and is exactly as described. Dragon Dictate is an excellent program and works well on Mountain Lion.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time or money, 21 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Dragon Dictate 3.0 (Mac) (DVD-ROM)
I used the PC version of this years ago and found it quite good, not so for the MAC!

I should have realised from the beginning after I attempted to speak to the sales department about what the best model might be to purchase and got a nil response that it wasn't going to be a good experience...
Firstly the generic headset contained with the software simply did not work as the usb connection was faulty, or at least I think it was after I attempted to explain the problem to the extremely unhelpful customer service department whose main advice was 'if there's something wrong with it send it back to the retailer' in a very disinterested way.
I tried out using my phone as a mic by downloading the free itunes app but basically its not very good and seems a bit 'hit and miss'
User instructions are non existent unless you want to start trawling through over a hundred pages of the manual... user friendly it is not.

In the end its quicker to type everything so taking nuance's advice it has indeed gone back to the retailer!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing Compared To Windows Version, 22 Jan. 2014
Poseidon (Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragon Dictate 3.0 (Mac) (DVD-ROM)
I had been using the Windows version of this software for seven years and thought it was great. Two months ago I decided to change over from Windows to Mac and bought this version of the software. Unfortunately, the Mac version is a grossly inferior product to the Windows alternative. This is both in relation to the availability of commands and also the accuracy of the speech recognition.
Nuance Really need to get their act together on the Mac version or alternatively withdraw it from the market.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hugely disappointing, 9 May 2013
Andy Russell "rusty" (london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragon Dictate 3.0 (Mac) (DVD-ROM)
as a DragonDictate user for over 10 years, this is a massive massive disappointment. The Windows version is more user friendly, more accurate and allows you to spell phonetically which is a must if you have limited dexterity and want to avoid typing at all. I'm seriously struggling to find how to spell out a complicated name/place which isn't in the library already. With Windows version it is really simple, and accurate. Expecting great things, what emerged is a step in the wrong direction.

5.0 out of 5 stars DragonDictate for people with dyslexia, 6 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Dragon Dictate 3.0 (Mac) (DVD-ROM)
Dragon dictate is an amazing if not essential program for people with dyslexia like myself. It can open up a world of expression and involve you in activities you never thought possible, as long as you take the time and dedication to customise the program to eliminate your own weaknesses . To make the program truly perform to its highest capabilities you do need a few things. first and most obviously you need DragonDictate updated to the 3.0 version, secondly you need a fairly decent Mac or PC, I would suggest at least 8 GB of RAM and lastly you need a very high quality noise cancelling microphone (I would not recommend buying the wireless headset that comes with some bundle packages from Nuance) I use the [Platronics savi 440] it uses DECT technology to provide better audio and eliminates interference from Wi-Fi networks; in other words, it's an advanced Bluetooth device.

when using Dragon you must make sure the microphone is positioned about two finger widths away from the corner of your mouth, and has enough charge as this will affect the performance of the microphone. remember to speak clearly in the manner in which you trained the computer when you first set up DragonDictate and try to always speak in concise sentences. for example, don't say ( I, went, to, the, shops) instead say " I went to the shops" as the program cannot recognise language per se but the relationships between words.

if you make sure you do all of these things Dragon will perform at an incredible pace and with greater accuracy and more proficiency than most English graduates could realise, make sure you use the training feature within Dragon each time you find the mistake's Dragon makes on a consistent basis, this will only take a few hours out of your life with the program but is well worth it.

lastly I would like to add that I timed how long it took me to write this review using DragonDictate. it was 1 minute and 56 seconds. something I can never dreamt of doing without Dragon and having dyslexia which in today's modern educational system for a child could mean the difference between graduating or dropping out over the long term.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good dictation accuracy but erratic cursor control, 21 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Dragon Dictate 3.0 (Mac) (DVD-ROM)
The product arrived as a boxed software installation DVD, Dragon-labelled USB noise cancelling adjustable combined microphone and single headphone set and a quick start guide. I was pleasantly surprised by the ease of setup, and ease of use of this package. The accuracy of the voice recognition was very good right from the start, and of course the promise is that it gets more accurate the more you use it. The user is encouraged to speak fluently in phrases or sentences when dictating into the microphone, which is actually a tricky skill to master when you are used to generating your text as you type. No doubt this will also get better with practice.

My main issue (so far) with the package is the erratic way in which the cursor will sometimes jump (apparently randomly) to a point 2 or 3 lines previous to where it should be. This happens in my experience occasionally when in the middle of dictating when pausing between parts of a spoken sentence (i.e. not when giving a command such as 'select' or 'correct'). This means that you have to keep a close eye on where the cursor is while dictating, which detracts from the 'hands off' and 'eyes off the screen' desired performance benefit while dictating. I've also experienced the software inserting single consonants for no apparent reason.

Another slight gripe is the (IMHO) poorly explained voice controls for applications and editing which are described in the help pages and sub-menus and also in an 'available commands' window which contextually adjusts the information presented depending on what application you have open to use with Dragon Dictate. These days the user is used to seeing helpful bubbles when you scroll over text or right click, offering more explanatory information on how to use the feature and what it is for exactly. This gives the software a slightly out-of-date feel. Reading other reviews comparing the Mac version of Dragon Dictate with its Window's cousin called 'Naturally Speaking' I'm left feeling that the Mac version hasn't had the same love and attention paid to it by its designers.

One last issue I had with this package is the auto-update feature during installation. As you get part way through installation, registration and are presented with the tutorial screen, the software announces that an update is available. If you allow it to update it attempts to do this in the background as you continue with registration and your tutorial. In my case this resulted in the update hanging. I had to quit the programme in the end and re-launch it. When I checked for updates it told me I was using the most up to date version. After experiencing the erratic cursor problems mentioned above I uninstalled the software and re-installed it allowing it to update before progressing with the tutorial (once again offered) and it seemed to proceed more smoothly.

The dictation accuracy and ease of use should entitle this product to get 5 stars. It is let down however by unhelpful menus, and occasional erratic behaviour. If you have a need or desire to dictate a lot of text rather than typing it this is a good purchase, but be aware of it's limitations.

1.0 out of 5 stars No Plantronics USB mic, 5 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Dragon Dictate 3.0 (Mac) (DVD-ROM)
This Amazon page clearly states that this comes with a Plantronics usb headset. It doesn't, it comes with a low-quality generic unbranded headset which, as far as I can make out, is worthless. I've tried Amazon's 'return' page, but 'return' is the only option - I want the software, but I don't want them to send me another generic headset - I want the Plantronics one as advertised.

Going to have to give this the lowest sart rating, 'cos it just aint what was advertised.

1.0 out of 5 stars Think carefully before purchasing, 25 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Dragon Dictate 3.0 (Mac) (DVD-ROM)
Having used Dragon NaturallySpeaking for Windows quite successfully for a number of years, I purchased a Mac 18 months ago for home use. For the last year, I have been using DragonDictate for Mac at home with mostly poor and irritating results. Sadly, I tend to use it less and less as the frustrations outlying ( should say outwardly, should say outweigh) the inconvenience of typing.
There are 2 particularly irritating bugs which have not been rectified in nearly 2 years. One is the irritating additional random characters at the end of each type to praise (should say typed phrase) and the 2nd is the random insertion of dictated text anywhere in the document except the place that you insert the insertion point.
These are well-established problems, liberally referred to in the blogs, and well-known to Nuance. But still they persist. high turnout (should say I tend) to use the Apple OS Dictate function which is much lower (Should say slower) but stops me pulling my hair out. Do your own research to see how common this problem really is. Irritatingly, the Windows version is rather good.

(Dictated without correction on DragonDictate for Mac - surprisingly better than usual!)

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't even think about it if you have a Mac, 3 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Dragon Dictate 3.0 (Mac) (DVD-ROM)
i bought this having been assured that it was right for my Mac's specs.
It isn't. Complete waste of money and has the effect of making you think you
still have a PC with a bad viral infection. Don't do it
Life is too short.

Dragon Dictate 3.0 (Mac)
Dragon Dictate 3.0 (Mac) by Nuance Communications, Inc. (Mac OS X)