4.0 out of 5 stars A review dictated by using DragonDictate version 3.0
I thought it might be more authentic if I dictated my review rather than typing it. What you are getting is my dictated view, unedited, street from the DragonDictate software.

Published on 26 Nov. 2012 by Dr. Stephen Murphy

2.0 out of 5 stars Good recognition, buggy software
I've had DragonDictate for just one day now, so my review is based on just a few hours of working with the software. I am of course dictating this review using the software. I've actually tried to make this more difficult for the software by using the built-in microphone in my MacBook Pro rather than the supplied microphone.

I've used an old version of Dragon...
Published on 29 Nov. 2012 by K. Benson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A review dictated by using DragonDictate version 3.0, 26 Nov. 2012
Dr. Stephen Murphy "Dr. Steve" (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragon Dictate 3.0 (Mac) (DVD-ROM)

I am using DragonDictate for the PC and the Mac; the PC at work and the Mac at home. Undoubtedly, the PC version is slightly ahead of the MAC version but the difference is now very, very small. There is no doubt that version 2.5 was frustratingly awful to use. It was made all the worse by the fact that the PC versions 11 and 12 were really very good. Mac Version 3.0 however is an enormous step up and it really has now very useful indeed. I use it mainly for dictating 10 - 15 page reports using a lot of papers and notes scattered all over my desk. The fact that I can sit here now with my arms folded and dictate a pretty accurate piece of prose is, I think, quite impressive.

Sure, it is not completely faultless but if you follow the relatively simple instructions that come with version 3, are absolutely rigorous about correcting spelling and dictation errors and load up your own personal dictionary and emails to enable the software to interpret your writing style and the words peculiar to your particular area of interest it is, in my opinion, a very usable piece of software.

Other reviewers have commented on how the cursor can jump about unpredictably when using Word. In my experience, this is a fault, often introduced by me in the formatting of the particular document that I am working on. I would caution users to be very careful when changing Word document formatting while using DragonDictate. I too have experienced the unpredictable and strange behaviour that appears to occur when using DragonDictate and Word together but the problem can nearly always be resolved by checking and if necessary reversing formatting changes.

I agree that the Nuance website is a shambles, the product support leaves a lot to be desired and the lack of upgrades available to previous purchasers of the product does not endear the company to its users.

However, the dramatic improvement in the quality and usability of the software between version 2.5 and version 3 deserves credit. I would probably have given this review five stars if it were not for the points made in the previous paragraph.

Another tip, is to get the best microphone that you can afford. I started with a cheap and cheerful generic headset and microphone which worked but I spoiled myself by buying a Plantronics Savi 440 which is eye wateringly expensive but works very well indeed and is very comfortable to wear.

Looking over what I have dictated I can find two errors: the first is the word "street" instead of "straight" in my second sentence and the second is the lack of consistency when using the word "Mac". Apart from that, it appears to be 100% accurate. I have no hesitation in recommending version 3.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good recognition, buggy software, 29 Nov. 2012
K. Benson "KB" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragon Dictate 3.0 (Mac) (DVD-ROM)

I've used an old version of Dragon NaturallySpeaking in the past on my PC, and was happy with its performance. But the performance of this new version is noticeably better. In the tests I've done so far the software has been 99% accurate as advertised. So if I was reviewing this software based purely on its recognition ability, I would give it five stars.

However, as other people have pointed out on this website and others, the Mac version of the software is very buggy. It seems to do some funny things after you use the software is (<- I said software's) built-in correction facilities. Most noticeable, the insertion of a random letter at the end of the last sentence you have dictated. While this can easily be deleted, it does get a little annoying. Also, I've noticed that when I'm trying to correct words by selecting them, the software sometimes selects the wrong words and inserts the correction in the wrong place. So because of the blogs (<- I said bugs) I can only give the software 2 stars. But as you can see, the software has only recognised two word incorrectly in the whole of this review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Warning - Does Not Work With Olympus Recorders, 28 Nov. 2012
P Burgess "Paul Burgess" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragon Dictate 3.0 (Mac) (DVD-ROM)
Purchased the product after having used an older version on my Windows machine. Initial impressions are very positive the accuracy of the speech recognition using a Plantronics USB headset is exceptionally good.

One issue that I do have with the product is that it is incompatible with Olympus digital voice recorders. The Mac version of Dragon dictate does not support MP3 files or WMA files, to the file formats supported by Olympus devices. I can't understand why these file formats, which are supported in the Windows version, not supported on the Mac. This means that Olympus owners will be forced to run a conversion program to generate WAV files or similar for to invest in a voice recorder that is able to generate WAV files directly such as the Philips range. As DragonDictate Lite version is supplied with some Olympus recorders a health warning both on the software and on the Olympus device packaging would be really helpful.

The product appears to work fine with all Microsoft office for Mac products and for Mac native products such as mail. All in all a good product slightly spoiled by the voice recorder incompatibility.
(review dictated using the product, 100% accurate!)

2.0 out of 5 stars Another poorly tested product from Nuance, 3 Oct. 2012
Dr. Brian M. Levy "Drmerlin" (Walsall, West Midlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragon Dictate 3.0 (Mac) (DVD-ROM)
I use both Mac and PC and have the latest versions of Dragon Dictate installed on both. The PC version is really excellent but the Mac version leaves a lot to be desired.

Nuance have just released Version 3 and many of us were hoping for a decent product... Sadly this is not the case. I have tried it on two different Macs and it is full of irritating bugs. This evening it decided to drop all of the letter 'a' in my sentences while I was trying to send an email. Earlier today, whilst trying to use it with MS Word, everytime I used the 'Correct (word or phrase)' command, the programme highlighted a random word or phrase from anywhere in the document.

The old problem of the programme putting in an insertion point in the middle of a word as you dictate is still there.

Sadly the Nuance site is a nightmare to navigate and I have never received technical support that ever helped (that is assuming that they even respond which they generally do not).

The sad fact is that Mac users are still left with a vastly inferior product that is a long way from working with a sufficient level of reliability to make it useful. If you already have an earlier version of this product do not waste your money by upgrading....

3.0 out of 5 stars Dragon Dictate for the Mac, 15 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Dragon Dictate 3.0 (Mac) (DVD-ROM)
On station I have had DragonDictateagonDictate forDictate a year or sor or so. or so that is actuallyually what DragonDictatectate is producingucing as I speak.

Yes, that is gobbledygook. But when DragonDictate gets itself into a bad mood it can produce complete nonsense. The only solution is to quit the program and restart. Since I have just done that you can see that when it is feeling okay it works well. But it is far from perfect. And my contact with Nuance suggests strongly that they have limited interest in the product. Even going so far as to release software update information with spelling mistakes. But it is the best dictation program that is available for the Mac and since it does speed things up, it is worth using. It still does curious things though from time to time. Failing to distinguish between dictation and command, it will sometimes curiously send the cursor on an adventure back through the dictated text looking for a particular word. It also has no facility to learn a particular word in a piece of text. If you have text you want to teach DragonDictate you have to create a Word file and upload it. Clumsy. And it still puts random characters at the end of sentences from time to time. Quite often the only way to get it to work properly is to quit the program and restart it. It is worth having but it is only worth three stars. Compared with other Mac software where the development teams, in my experience have been very interested in feedback, Nuance, seem to be only slightly interested in the product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent dictation software, 21 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Dragon Dictate 3.0 (Mac) (DVD-ROM)
It's about time Mac users had decent dictation software. I have been using Dragon dictate three for just over a month. I was extremely impressed at how well it worked after just fifteen minutes training.

It does occasionally make mistakes but more often than not the mistake has been down to me mumbling or stumbling over a word.

My only complaint would be occasionally after making corrections within the text the software appears to lose its place within the document, which leads it to adding words and phrases in the wrong place. I find this doesn't happen if you dictate directly into the DragonDictate notepad. It seems to struggle a little when dictating into other programs. Having said that, it has worked perfectly with mail, messages and Safari on my Mac.

I type and around forty words per minute - so not very fast! This software has already saved me a great deal of time. Writing lengthy replies to emails has never been easier!

I do understand that some of the reviews left here have been from people who purchased the previous version of this software and quite annoyed at having to pay so much for the upgrade. If I was in that position, I'd be irritated as well, but don't let that put you off purchasing the software because it works very well.

I don't think the occasional mistake is enough for me to take off one star, so I'm going to give this software the full five stars. If like me you are a slow typer and you need to do a lot of typing for work, or recreationally I would highly recommend this software.

5.0 out of 5 stars DragonDictate 3.0 - fantastic purchase, 17 July 2013
This review is from: Dragon Dictate 3.0 (Mac) (DVD-ROM)
I have read all the reviews on here, regarding DragonDictate 3.0.

I have only been using this product for less than 48 hours, but I am so glad that I did not allow the negative reviews to influence my judgement. I have very severe carpal tunnel syndrome, as a touch typist with a speed of 75 words per minute it is no longer possible for me to do this.

My review is being created using DragonDictate. I'm in no way connected with the company or any reseller of this product, I just wish to make that clear.

I feel now that this has given me back my freedom, I'm able to dictate my current assignments, and in effect be able to type again. What makes it even more brilliant for me, is that my typing speed has gone up massively even quicker then when I used to touch type.

I would thoroughly suggest people who buy the product do go through the tutorials, the voice recognition procedures at the beginning and also don't try to run before you can walk with it. There are very specific commands that you need to use but obviously the more you use the product the more you remember what they are and how to use them.

I cannot believe how much of a difference this is made to me to be able to use a computer again and not increased the pain levels. I personally think Nuance have produced a very good product and have really enjoyed using this and will continue to enjoy using it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Practice makes perfect, 1 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Dragon Dictate 3.0 (Mac) (DVD-ROM)
The training process was easier than I expected and it seems to improve with practice. It does have a problem with the more unusual surnames but, other than that, it types as fast as I speak with only the very occasional glitch, but you do have to speak clearly and avoid any background noise. My main problem is remembering the commands. No doubt that will come in time. I find the headset that came with it very comfortable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Relief from typing, 2 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Dragon Dictate 3.0 (Mac) (DVD-ROM)
There is quite a difference in price between the far cheaper PC version and the expensive Mac version that I bought. It is worth it if you have large amounts of text to type. It is satisfyingly accurate even when using an iPhone as a microphone. A minor niggle is that a small dialog box remains on the screen while DD is available even if you are not using it. In these cheap app days it may not be great value for money but it is the best of its kind.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as easy to use as Windows version., 24 May 2013
This review is from: Dragon Dictate 3.0 (Mac) (DVD-ROM)
Disappointing. I found this not as easy to use as the windows version, not as accurate, I have a windows partition on my Mac so use that now.the widows version of Dragon Naturally speaking. Being severely visually impaired and dyslexic I find this a happier solution for my own particular needs.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Dragon Dictate 3.0 (Mac)
Dragon Dictate 3.0 (Mac) by Nuance Communications, Inc. (Mac OS X)