5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful modern fables
Published 19 months ago by Ignite

3.0 out of 5 stars Storm Damage
This is an anthology of 10 short stories. In my opinion, the writing on these is very good and very evocative. My problem with this set is that I didn't "get" most of the endings.
I'm not sure if it is me, as I often find short stories end short, so to speak.
Published 12 months ago by Joo

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful modern fables, 11 Sep 2012
Ignite (East Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Storm Damage (Kindle Edition)
This book of short stories is elegantly told in John Logan's etheral, dancing prose. Whatever this man says, he says it beautifully. The stories are like modern day fables, and from each one we can take a lesson, a thought; sometimes a rather deep one. It's always hard to choose favourites from a book where each story has its own place in the collection but I found Late Testing very gripping, I loved the emotional ending of The Airman and The Orange Pig really was Aesopian. A couple of the stories nudged at the theme of looking back at the end of life and did it very well.

There's no doubt that John Logan is a skillful writer. You can skate on the surface of his prose and enjoy his work but if you take a breath and go below the surface there is always so much more there than you thought (like a swan!) I usually buy short stories thinking I will read one or two between longer books but sometimes you just have to be greedy. I defy anyone to put this down once started. A memorable collection, and I hope there are more!

3.0 out of 5 stars Storm Damage, 15 April 2013
Joo "kuforum" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Storm Damage (Kindle Edition)
I'm not sure if it is me, as I often find short stories end short, so to speak.
I think my favourites were 'Late Testing' and 'The Magenta Tapestry' but I just couldn't get on with the last one 'Sometimes All The World Comes Down' and didn't finish it.
Again, John A.A. Logan's writing is very good, but I can't quite give this 4 stars so it's really 3.5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite!, 23 Sep 2012
This review is from: Storm Damage (Kindle Edition)
I don't normally read short stories, but after reading and thoroughly enjoying, 'The Survival of Thomas Ford', I wanted to read more of Logan's work. I found myself reading through, 'Storm Damage' and being completely, bowled over by these magical stories. This unusual, unique, but beautiful, skilfully written book of stories will posses you and leave tingles running through your body! You know that feeling, that you get when you receive a big static shock? Well, be prepared...

I shudder as I think about the child with, 'stumps' for teeth because she was drinking Irn-Bru, from her baby bottle. I know this is only too true in many poverty stricken area's in Scotland - I have witnessed instances like this on the rough estate, I grew up on. My mind was blown by this shocking reality, running alongside the beautiful fantasy of the story.

I come from the Highlands and I absolutely, love to see the 'Invernesian' in Logan's work. I look forward to seeing, a lot more in the future.

If you haven't already indulged in these stories, you must!

5.0 out of 5 stars Storm Damage - Elemental, like one of my favorite CDs by the same name. There is a terrible beauty in these stories., 3 Sep 2012
This review is from: Storm Damage (Kindle Edition)
Be sure to watch the lightning strike as the kindle loads the cover. It sets the mood for these very unusual and spiritual stories. Logan has done it again with his second eBook: the atmospherics of these stories take on lives of their own. Choosing a favorite would be as difficult as choosing a favorite child. Each story is unique and magical, casting its own spell, and the order is absolutely perfect, keeping the 'fictive trance' alive from beginning to end.

Each story has its own cogent observations such as the unlikely astronaut in UNICORN ONE, travelling through the universe with only Angus the toy cat for company, describing the intense loneliness; the universal face; the restlessness and seething nature of the hearts of space. Earth and Space.

Then the young soldier with the "soft, Holy,brown eyes", in LATE TESTING, who avenges an evil act and returns to the hot dry battlefield to be tried by fire a second time. "There was always something beyond the eyes looking at you too, inspecting and questioning." You will meet Cromwell and the relic of a 260-year-old witch, the self-righteous Abel, and the color purple will take on new meaning for you. Fire and Water.

NAPOLEON'S CHILD will "wow" you. I immediately checked the tweets from S.E.T.I., and thought of Dr. Ellie Arroway spinning through the wormholes of space. Or you might be reminded of Field Marshall Rommel in the North African desert or more aptly the story might evoke for you Napoleon Bonaparte staring at the Sphinx or at Ozymandias in the Egyptian desert. Earth.

EDGE OF THE KNOWN WORLD is about a supernatural circus where the animals and "arsonist clowns" stage a revolt.The universe intervenes. A child who has gaped and clapped at evil night after night seeks redemption and purification. Fire and Wind.

MAGENTA TAPESTRY. This story will appeal, as will they all, to the magic realism fans who people the Amazon world. The strange hum of the gardens, the secret door, and above all the Tapestry which feels "like dried spider legs." After reading this I had a dream about characters stepping into and from that Tapestry. Atavism and Ernest conspire in this story of murder and deceit. Water.

THE AIRMAN, mystical and wondrous. I read it aloud to a friend and we were both sobbing at the end. You will experience the fires of Dresden and the heat of an Indian summer through the eyes of an empath. You'll also learn about a "Bomber's Moon" and what it was like for those terrified soldiers to parachute out of a dying plane to the fires of hell. You will soar above the Rhineland: This is a a beautiful story. Fire and Water.

THE POND was maybe the most powerful story in the collection; a story of memory and metamorphosis. Ovid meets Aristophanes? An old man's money allows him to become that which he hates and the recipient of the money "sells" his artistic achievement. Water.Soren Rasberdsen and Milos Kundini remember.

THE ORANGE PIG is a captivating and powerful allegory, perhaps reminiscent of Animal Farm but far more poetic. The Orange Pig discovers the mountain and finds it sacred. The language is rich with symbolism and totemic references. The wolves lie down with the pigs on the plain of ceremony and it was good. Amen. I loved this story. And you will hear some echoes of Yeats, too.

The title story STORM DAMAGE has a section where the narrator wears his father's hat and then sees his da in the mirror. I'll not spoil the meaning of damage and storm for the reader. Wind and Water and Sun and Earth.

Last, but not least, SOMETIMES ALL THE WORLD COMES DOWN is an intense psychological narrative with lightning and thunder and wolves battling in the mind of the narrator.

For fans of Logan's last book THE SURVIVAL OF THOMAS FORD, this is a "must read." Sounds trite, but I was very sorry when the last story was finished. The collection will leave you unsettled in the eye of the storm, or "flopped across the iron gate" buffeted by the wind.

4.0 out of 5 stars eef's review, 8 Mar 2014
This review is from: Storm Damage (Kindle Edition)
If you are a short story fan, this is one for you - a strange and wonderful collection of tales
that keep you guessing and linger in the mind when you have finished reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ten Unique Perspectives on the Human Condition, 24 May 2013
This review is from: Storm Damage (Kindle Edition)
This collection contains ten stories which span genres from psychological horror to fantasy, from thriller to mundane realism, but all are united by their strong characterisation and engaging style.

Unicorn One: When Scotland sends their first rocket out to explore the Solar system, they send not a scientist or a technician but a hairdresser.

Late Testing: Although the Great War has forced modernity on the cities, in the depths of the country people still believe in witches.

Napoleon's Child: A team is sent to check on the state of a series of mysterious beacons deep in the desert, but all their operator cares about is a native child who wandered in from the night.

At The Edge of The Known World: A girl watches a cruel Ringmaster struggle to control the circus.

The Magenta Tapestry: With the end of the USSR bringing economic collapse as well as freedom, the inhabitants of a decaying mansion cannot ignore an offer from the Russian Mafia.

The Airman: The last flight of a WWII bomber pilot echoes down history to a descendant of a pilot.

The Pond: a millionaire meets with his lawyer to discuss the purchase of a theatre, but reveals a different goal.

The Orange Pig: shunned by other pigs for his unnatural colour, the orange pig dreams of a greater destiny.

Storm Damage: a man tries to claim on insurance for damage to his father's farm.

Sometimes All The World Comes Down: a man sees wild animals walking among the remnants of civilisation, but are his perceptions accurate?

Apart from Late Testing and The Airman, each of the stories is told from the point of view of a single character, giving a both flawed and human perspective on events. Whether the plot turns on the threat of death or a burst drain pipe, the real events of each story occur in the head of the narrators.

As well as the solid characterisation, each story is written in fluid prose which references - but is not constrained by - the conventions of the respective genres. Where the events are fantastical the story is equally strong as genre fiction and magical realism.

Although each story is both a fragment of a unique life set in an individual universe, all the stories also comment on the self-delusion and pretension of society in various ways. From the desperate reverse elitism of Unicorn One to the pettiness of grudges in The Pond, no-one escapes their own imperfections.

Overall I enjoyed this book greatly. I would recommend it particularly to people who enjoy character-driven stories and those seeking an example of creating flawed narrators.

I received a free copy of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Storm Damage: Intriguing!, 21 Jan 2013
This review is from: Storm Damage (Kindle Edition)
John A. A. Logan writes both artistically and with assured confidence; it's well worth taking the time to get to know his work. In 'Napoleon's Child', the reader can almost taste the cold desert air of North Africa; 'The Airman' mixes contemporary India with distant and uncanny memories of war; and in the title that gives this collection its name there is a memorable epiphany involving an unexpected visitor. Overall, it's an intriguing book and I wonder what the author will weave into his next one. Read on!

5.0 out of 5 stars A sophisticated collection from a master storyteller, 2 Jan 2013
This review is from: Storm Damage (Kindle Edition)
I couldn't read STORM DAMAGE at one sitting, partly because I'm a slow reader, but mostly because each story deserves space and contemplation. Initially I decided to pick one out at random. My first choice was THE MAGENTA TAPESTRY - the title was intriguing, and the story haunting and disturbing - it still troubles me, remembering it.

These are stories you will read and go back to. John Logan's imagery is extraordinary, and his imagination explores the darkest places with a sensitivity that tempers violence with understanding. I kept the final story, SOMETIMES ALL THE WORLD COMES DOWN,in reserve for quite a long time - I was concentrating on my own work and the problems life sometimes throws at you.

I finally read it a few weeks ago. It was worth waiting fo

5.0 out of 5 stars A highly original story collection, 17 Dec 2012
C. U. Usher (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Storm Damage (Kindle Edition)
The ten stories in this collection will take you on strange, fascinating journeys through worlds which seem both familiar and foreign . It is rare to find such original and eclectic work; prepare to be surprised.
The creativity on display here, and the courage in refusing to obey current conventions, both mark Logan as an important and irrepressible author.

5.0 out of 5 stars John A.A. Logan is such a gift to all of us!, 23 Sep 2012
Zelda Barnard "Zelda Barnard" (Ferndale, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Storm Damage (Kindle Edition)
I do enjoy good short stories and John A.A. Logan is a master at the art. He just writes so beautifully and draws you into the secret places with his stories. My favorite: THE ORANGE PIG! Unique and delightful.
Wonderful editing too. I noticed this in his book, THE SURVIVAL OF THOMAS FORD - no errors to distract you from the story.

ARRAY(0xb156424c)