4.0 out of 5 stars Re: The alleged discomfort of the wire
Motivated by the negative reviews, I thought I'd give a riposte to the prevailing criticism of these headphones.

Published 3 months ago by BOB.T

2.0 out of 5 stars sound amazing but horrible dangling remote is too upsetting!
These sound INCREDIBLE for relatively cheap headphones. I'm super fussy and have been through a ridiculous amount of headphones seeking the perfect workout pair.

Published 21 months ago by St. Francis of Assisi

2.0 out of 5 stars sound amazing but horrible dangling remote is too upsetting!, 6 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Sennheiser PMX 685i Sports In-Ear Neckband Headphones (Electronics)

These truly sound amazing... there's not much more you could ask for in terms of sound quality in a sports headphone up to £50. High end clarity may be a bit lacking but the bass thumps nice and deep without ever being muddy or overwhelming, and the mids and top end are delivered with excellent clarity and energy - not a flat 'natural' response, but one very well suited to running or the gym etc.

But I cannot use them and that's thanks to Sennheiser having a stupid remote unit located a few inches along the wire as it hangs out of your left ear. So what happens as you run is the remote dangles about, hitting your cheek or neck because it isn't all that lightweight. Plus you can feel it pulling at your ear as you run and although the headphones stay beautifully in place, the tugging sensation on your left ear is highly irritating. I have tried endlessly to find an arrangement using the provided cable clip to stop this awful dangle and pulling sensation and occasionally i've managed to lessen it but in the end I have simply given up with these. I would seriously be standing on the treadmill for 5, 10 minutes at a time trying to adjust the cable to prevent the problem of the dangling remote.

I don't even care about having a remote! The iPhone is on the treadmill's console right in front of me so if I need to adjust I'll just do it via the iPhone screen, I really really do not need to faff about with a fiddly little dangling remote unit!

It's such a total shame that Sennheiser couldn't just keep it simple and I find it unbelievable that in their own tests of these headphones noone brought this up as a serious design flaw. They could at least put the remote further down the cable so it's not hanging off your ear and slapping your neck. I'm so disappointed as the sound is probably not bettered by any other sports headphones out there. (From what I have read these sound better than the Bose ones and I can very much believe that!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Re: The alleged discomfort of the wire, 18 Feb. 2015

First of all - all of the comments regarding how good the sound quality and how well fitting these are, are true. I am a stickler for sound quality -too much bass or sound quality that resembles tin as the medium would never do for me. They are worth the extra money for both of these aspects.

Second - My purpose is to use these at the gym or at other times when my larger on-ear headphones are just impractical. I jog and do weights, so I need something that will stay in place and of course, not annoy the hell out of me while I exert tremendous effort.

So I should explain my usual method of wearing these - having attached the phones to my head, I feed the wire down through the neck of my T-shirt and then connect them to my iPod which is then stored in my pocket.

I found none of the issues that others have reported regarding the annoying hitting of the wire and the volume/mic box against the cheek or neck. I found while arranging the wire, as I do, that there is no such annoyance.

Even so, I would have awarded these 3-4 stars as they really are great. I have only awarded them 4 as I know that they are not absolutely perfect and I am sure you could spend an absolute fortune to get 5 star headphones. These are great, worth the extra dosh, and worth giving a go as I did.

4.0 out of 5 stars One feature off perfection., 18 Oct. 2014
J. Lamb (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
I want to give these headphones a five star rating because of their comfort in ear, lightweight, almost unnoticeable feel on the head when running and superior sound quality... Alas, not all is perfect. It seems I'm not the only one who spends irritating amounts of time trying to clip the wire to my top just right so the volume control doesn't knock against my cheek/chin/neck. It's such a shame that this element is wrong because it is such an annoyance, not just a minor irritation but when on long runs, it can become a focus and distraction from all else!

That said, when you clip it in the right place pre-run... They're great! Best headphones I've run with over the past three years. best ear fit, most comfortable, best sound. Till I wrecked them! Well hey, I run a lot...!

Sennheiser... Slight design tweak and these would be perfect!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Pair Of Headphones!, 11 Nov. 2012
Having read up on several other types of earphones for running/gym work I decided to opt for these in preference to the PMX680i. I've tried a few sets of cheaper earphones but as with a few before me, once the proverbial metabolism kicks in on the jogging machine they tend to pop out like corks from a bottle! The ensuing battle to get them to stay in place thereafter is a losing one, a little akin to trying to grip a bar of soap with wet hands.

Fortunately the folks from sen/adidas appear to have found the solution. Having not owned the PMX680i I can't do a physical comparison, but going off pictures/reviews: the headband is thinner, the cable only goes from one ear rather than both, the remote volume switch is easy to use (but sadly only appears to work with apple products, that said the use of apples "voice control" here is really effective), not only are these really lightweight (even lighter than the 680i), the sound is fantastic with an excellent bass.

The headband is comfortable and is that light you wouldn't know it was there. Running it didn't budge at all, you can do sit ups with hands at the side of your head, the only issue might be if you leant your head back on some apparatus. The cable is about 1.2m which isn't too long that it gets in the way, and is itself very sturdy and doesn't seem to want to get tangled!

Have also worn these whilst out on my bike, and although not noise cancelling, this is not detrimental to sound they produce. However, if you have a cycle helmet that is slung low at the back you may have problems keeping the phones in place. I don't wear glasses, but did try them with a pair of sunglasses and although it was noticeable there was something resting on your ears, it wasn't to the point of distraction or annoyance.

All in all I'm very pleased with them, and for anyone like me who had issues with popping ear plug type earphones - this could be your solution!

1.0 out of 5 stars Overwhelming bass - but not in a pleasant sense., 13 Feb. 2015
Philtrum (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I'm old enough (now in my mid 50s) to have bought and experienced dozens of pairs of headphones over the years and to remember those ten-band graphic equalisers people used to add to their hi-fi systems.

I bought these to be used when walking the dogs. The ear-bud Sennheisers I've been using sound fine but tend to drop out which is annoying so I thought these would be a good choice. I've had several pairs of Sennheiser headphones over the years and rarely been disappointed.

But these sound horrible - just dreadful. The bass is overwhelming. You can hear nothing but booming bass, with some tinny treble. All the mid-range sounds as though it's coming from three streets away. It's as thought someone's feeding the music through one of those 10-band equalisers, whacked the lowest three sliders up the max, as well as the highest one, and pushed everything else down to zero.

I tried listening to pop, jazz, metal and trance. They all sounded terrible. I guess I should have paid attention to the one-star reviews instead of the five-star ones. Sigh.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great sound shame about the location of the volume controller, 17 July 2014
Adrian Adams (Burgess Hill, West Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Headphone sound is excellent, they're durable a great fit and still work well even after a sweaty gym session.

However, the down side is whoever decided to put the controller unit in a position that is so high wants shooting. Not only does it snag on shirts with collars on it also is impossible to adjust it unless your doing it blind or take the headphones off.

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty, 23 Sept. 2013
G. D. Cohen - See all my reviews
Messed around with the controls all by itself – like a ghost was controlling my music. Volume up, then down. Play then pause then play. Weird.

2.0 out of 5 stars Badly designed, 17 April 2015
I bought these to use for jogging and cycling and although they arrived promptly and the sound quality is great for the price there two points which really let them down in my opinion. Firstly they do not sit in the nap of my neck, they stick out at the back instead which makes wearing a hat tricky when it's cold out and they are uncomfortable when, for example, laying back on a headrest on a plane. Secondly the foam covers for the speakers go all baggy when wet from sweat etc and fall off when you remove the headphones. I usually notice this but after about a month I'd lost both of them and without them they make an airtight seal around my ear holes when sweaty and again become quite uncomfortable. Well worth spending a few quid more and getting something better designed.

2.0 out of 5 stars not because they are not good quality - they are a good quality - but ..., 23 Mar. 2015
I really regret getting these, not because they are not good quality - they are a good quality - but because they are far too fragile: the second time I wore them I happened to have to be on a walk and had to pick up a dog. His paw got hooked in the line and the ear phones were yanked out of my ears. Of course this has happened many times with other headphones. The problem was that in the process the back neck part snapped in two. So, two days of use, £35 quid out of the window. (I did try to glue the bits together but it hasn't worked, the headphones don't stay on anymore.

I think that given that all headphones tend to get hooked on things, at least in my experience they do, I would never buy these again. Too fragile.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great headphones for running, 1 Feb. 2015
I sometimes like to listen to music while running and I bought these to replace my old in-ear buds with over ear clips which had finally been destroyed by heavy rain. Despite the over-ear clips the old ones gradually dropped out while running. The new Sennheisers have much better sound quality and once on do not move. I tried using them without the foam earpiece covers at first, but as others have noted, the neckband touched the collar of my running jacket and made a noise. Once the foam covers were in place however, nothing moved around at all, and there was no extraneous noise. Quite expensive but very good quality sound, and you can still hear the world outside which is important for safety while running.